Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pennies gone

Posted by Jan.ON 5b/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 11:15

As of today, pennies are being removed from Canada's coinage, will no longer be produced, are being bought back from banks for melting down and recycling. In honour of this momentous event I'm planning to plant hostas with suitable names. Any recommendations for 'Shiny Penny' or 'Pennies from Heaven'? Or other ideas? (Can't find a 'Loonies' or 'Toonies' in honour of our other coinage, or 'Plastic' to immortalize our new bills lol)
Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pennies gone

sadly I took about 50 pounds of pennies back to the bank and then saw someone made a table with them embedded in clear plastic. Would also make nice stepping stones. Too little too late!

o

Sounds like you're pretty happy about this. How about H.'Janet's Joy'? :)

o

Great ideas almosthooked - I also saw a bowling ball covered with pennies for a garden accent. Guess I'll hoard any that I still have! And 'Janet's Joy' - great idea!

o

Pennies are supposed to repel slugs in the garden if you ring the plant with them. At least,the old ones that are actually copper.

Or so they say on Pinterest, lol!

Sandy

o

Penny Poker?
Penny Arcade?

And a link below to the composition of the metal in the penny, although I believe that is US not Canadian.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metal in the penny

o

'Change of Tradition'?
'Change of Heart'?

tj

o

Jan, I just checked the 2012 coin collection I bought for my first grandchild born in 2012. It contains a 2012 penny. Hoping this collection will increase in value because of this.

o

No pennies there, no more Saturday postal services here in US (probably have to pay OT to deliver all the mail for 2 days on Monday).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here