Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comparing Hosta Library pictures

Posted by pietertje (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 11:53

No doubt we have all gone back and forth between tabs in our browsers when comparing pictures of similar cultivars listed in the Hosta Library. A few years ago Hugo Philips -MyHostas- had a nifty file available for download on his old site that allowed you to compare two varieties side-by-side. I use it from time to time but was increasingly getting frustrated by how out of date my version had become. Attempts to contact Hugo to see if an updated version was available went unanswered, so, I took it upon myself to update his last original with the latest updates Bob Axmear has posted on the HL.

If this intrigues you, click on the link below, that takes you to a page on my site where you can download a zip file that contains this updated version.

Pieter

Here is a link that might be useful: Compare Hosta Library pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comparing Hosta Library pictures

Wow Pieter--Thanks for this. People who can perform magic tricks on their computers really impress me! Tons of hosta forum fans will probably find this feature really useful.
Jan

o

Wow. I agree with Jan and am going to try to load this. Thanks!

Cynthia

o

It ain't no magic trick, Jan, I just updated what Hugo had done a few years ago and thought I'd share it....

Pieter

o

Pieter,

Is this a browser Add-on that will work with any computer?

Steve

o

What a great tool, thanks for sharing!!

o

Steve, it works with any computer that can un-zip a zip file. All it is, is an html file, which can be interpreted by any browser in any operating system. Just go to the link, download the file and follow the ever-so-brief instructions, it ain't rocket science.

Pieter

o

I have just modified the link so that you have the option of either downloading the file or using it straight off my website, you just pick your poison...

Pieter

o

Awesome!!!!!!

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 13:02

Many thanks!

-Babka

o

Love it! Just using the site without the download.

o

Pieter, if you use it without the download, will that automatically incorporate the new HL photos as they are posted?

This is a godsend to me. Thanks, Pieter!Wow...

o
Sorry, I found the answer

Sorry, Pieter, I found the answer that using your site will always have the latest Hosta Library updates.

That is the my option too.

Now we need to get more descriptive info about each hosta pictured. :)

o

Pieter, if you use it without the download, will that automatically incorporate the new HL photos as they are posted?

No, it won't automatically update as new cultivars are posted, but any new pictures for the ones already in it will show. It is my intention to update the list with new cultivars once a year, it's quite time consuming.....

Pieter

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 23:00

Pieter- Your time consummed is MOST appreciated!!! Many new folks here don't remember life w/o a Hosta Library. I recall when it was just being built and I am SO thankful to Bob and his friends for making all the info available in one place. They all volunteer their time.

-Babka

o
RE: Comparing Hosta Library pictures....new varieties

I have an old version dated 2007 - you can paste the url from newer varieties at the top of the compare utility. When in the HL with list at left -- right click a name and copy link location, then paste in compare.

Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here