Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Do you have a 'Fat Cat'???

User
10 years ago

The reason I ask, this is one I am waiting for. Gonna ship about March 24 from Green Mt.

I ask also because of this intriguing statement lifted from MYHOSTAS.BE (which got it from somewhere else)....
"When Dick Ward received the Eunice Fisher Distinguished Hybridizer Award in 2010, he selected this hosta as his hosta of merit"

So if Dick Ward thought this was his crowning achievement, his hosta with the mosta, I take his word for it. BUT, I want to see some confirmation by garden specimens grown by our forum. Please oblige and I will be eternally grateful.

Comments (17)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hi Mocc,

There is a single pic of 'Fat Cat' on this here thread. Grown by Myrle, it looks pretty good. I am just putting an order together for GM, and 'Fat Cat' happens to be on it. : )

Don B.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta F 2012

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I do have a Fat cat,but she lives in my house,and she is a real cat! Lol! Oh you're talking about the hosta Fat Cat? Phil

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

My outside cat is no fattie...See, there he goes, getting some cardio while he hunts for 'Enemies of Hostas'.

Don B.

• serenitycove
    10 years ago

Just got one last year. It's the top one on the left. Looking forward to watching it unfurl those huge leaves this spring!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my, that is a big leaf... Love the color too...and that texture.

Phil, show yours too. Don that black cat reminds me of WALK ON THE WILDSIDE movie where the black cat owns the street...great music. Check it out on YouTube.

Look forward to growing it. Don is there a virus in the air to which you and I are particularly susceptible ?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Some kind of HOSTA virus in the air, Mocc (a good strain, not like that HVX stuff.)

Don B.

P.S. Yup, Cujo got into a fight with a big orange tabby on Thursday on our deck, heard a huge ruckus and ran out there in time to see them both tumble off the top of the deck. THUD! Right into the South hosta bed. Took Cujo to the vet for a shot of antibiotics and some stitches in his head, broke a couple bones in his tail also. Got him some feline pain meds, poor guy has to stay inside for a bit, which is making him nuts. At least it wasn't a raccoon. So he also ACTS like the black cat from 'Walk on the Wildside'. He's not a big fan of trespassers in his backyard, be it vole or cat. At least the pain meds seem to help him; They make him happy and loopy, and then he falls asleep in a purring, stoned heap. Then he wakes up pissed off again 6-8 hours later. : )

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

The virus is here in Florida too. I also ordered a Fat Cat. I do have a question tho looking at the photo on GM it looks more like the one lower on the left with the yellow leaves? Just wondering. Great collection of plants SerenityCove.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey hey, Serenity Cove, is this your introduction to the Hosta Forum? If not, how could I have missed such a distinctive name.

Glad to have you among us. I'm a potted hosta gardener too.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don, noted your agree about the virus, and then so does Paula over there in JaxFL. It must be the GreatBackyardHostaCount moving north across the land, striking us south and westerly regions first.

Something about a big bold gold that indicates SPRINGTIME IS COMING. like a wave......

• serenitycove
    10 years ago

Ilovetogrow....the one with the yellow leaves is Dawns Early Light. This was a collection I bought from a yearly trip to Wade and Gatton. I'm lucky to live about an hour away from there. Getting my list ready for this year......can't wait!
    Moccasinlanding.....I joined last year. I've mostly lurked but hope to share more photos as my hostas mature. Serenity Cove is my blogs name.
    Here is another photo I found of Fat Cat.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Indeed you are very lucky, so close, and the botanical garden with Van Wades mature clumps of HOSTA that made history in the garden world.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Mocc,here is a pic of my fat cat,and her name is Misty. Here she is doing one of her favorite activities. Phil

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tell me that caterpillar black fuzzy thing is not the tip of Misty's tail, is it? That is a seriously long tail! Sweet fat cat.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Yes,Mocc,that is her tail,which ends in black. It's not really that long,though;that's just the way she's lying! Phil

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Along with my Patches ( part Siamese) is Fat Cat . She is a Russian Blue we called Smokey . Myrle now has a really fat cat too

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Your Smokey kinda looks like our Matilda, Faye. She's painfully shy. Always has been.

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

At least under your bed is clean,Don! If you looked under our bed,it might not look so good.Lol! Phil