Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madplanter1

Anyone tried Forever Plant Markers?

MadPlanter1 zone 5
10 years ago

Has anybody tried Wild Rose's Forever Plant Markers? They look really sturdy, but at $225. for 100 of them I'd like to know more.

Buying 100 a year it would take 6 or 7 years to get labels on everything. They do look like they'd stay put, though. The labels I use now vanish over winter.

Comments (10)

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

Someone that used to post here - and maybe still does occasionally - owns that company. His name is Ken Harris. I believe his products came from needing excellent products for his own garden. I've considered buying the root bags myself as I am having problems with tree roots from the neighbor's yard. His gardens were on the national tour in recent years and he is heavily involved in the AHS.

From what I know about him I can't imagine him selling anything but the best. This is all just my opinion. I have tried a number of markers myself. I do not own any of Ken's markers but they look very sturdy and they look like they will stay put. JMHO.

Just for the record - I am not associated with Ken's company.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I found a link to the same subject last spring. Also there's some label info in the FAQ section.

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: discussion we had last spring on labels

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would NOT pay two dollars and twenty five cents a piece ..

they will crush.. just like the much cheaper ones ...

let alone your suggestion that you would need 100 by 7 years .. presuming you never buy another plant ... thats like fifteen hundred and seventy five freakin dollars ... really????

see link ... when i ordered 500... i asked nice.. and they thru in different height standards ....

but as always.. the key is what you put on them.. and it all about brother p-touch ....

ken

ps: you really dont need to label everything in your garden ... i only do hosta and conifers ...

daylily.. shrubs... ... iris.. whatever.. who cares.. lol ... actually i do have names on the special iris ...

i am sure i said it all in the previous link ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: 500 for 300 hundred dollars ...

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Plant markers might be great when you have a few hostas, like 50. But more than 50 (I have 210), then think also about how you will rake the hosta beds in fall and/or spring, how you will weed them, fight slugs and voles and dig while stepping in between all those markers. I stepped on them, raked them, got hung up with my rake. They were too much trouble, so I removed them, cleaned them and put them away in the basement. I made a map and know what all hostas are where.

I must add that I also propelled markers into the lawn, perhaps via raking or stepping on them under an angle. Those then got in contact with lawn mower blades when mowing, so be careful.
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 18:14

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have to have a map, because the turkeys dig up the markers, I rake them up, and the ground heaves them out. But I like having labels for visitors - or even for my own use. If I didn't read them once in a while I'd never know what I was looking at! I've got a lot of day lilies, too, and am terrible at identification.

The markers were supposed to be my Valentine's Day present, but when I balked at the price, DH suggested making our own out of aluminum sheeting. It LOOKS possible. I'll post instructions if they're a success.

• egflynn
    10 years ago

MadPlanter, I made mine out of aluminum flashing and marked them using a steel letter/number stamp set from Harbor Freight. It worked out well but did take some time. A label maker would have made a much quicker go of it.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Whamadiddle!

Don B.

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

Yes - some may know him by that name! :-)

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

I use Kincaid markers with the Brothers label maker. Use the Extra Strength tape. Very heavy duty.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The labels made with the embossing stamps must look terrific. I think I'll just take the lazy way and use a label maker. I've got a Dymo, sounds like I need to find a Brother. No progress on making labels. There was that football game this weekend (BG).