Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_on

slug fence

jan_on zone 5b
12 years ago

I just read an advertisement for "Slugs Away" electronic slug and snail fence. Has anyone tried it? It sounds as though perhaps it would only be practical for rather small areas.

Jan

Comments (12)

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

This fence, see link, protects 32 sqft, that is 8ft x 4ft, which is two average mature medium size hostas, and you pay $40 for that. Extension fences are extra cost ($20). I wonder what will happen to the charge when leaves touch it or during rain when slugs probably are more active. Compare that with 3 lbs of anti-slug pellets which you can buy for $9.40 @ HD, and which about protect 100 hostas for a month.
    Bernd

Here is a link that might be useful: anti slug fence

• Jon 6a SE MA
    12 years ago

I had a length of copper ground wire left over from an upgrade to the service to my house. I unraveled the wire into lengths to go around my hosta beds and found it very effective in controlling slugs. They evidently can sense the very small currents in the wire and won't cross over the wire. Cheap (over the long run) and effective. My only problem is forgetting it is there and snagging it occasionally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiring hosta beds

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

Jonny, that would be great, I would not need to renew anything all year, could place it as a border fence to the wild. But did the copper surface oxidize to become greenish, and did it work then too? Or did you need to sand the wire down with some sand paper?
    Bernd

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Once the copper oxidizes it doesn't work. Stick with Sluggo.

-Babka

• Jon 6a SE MA
    12 years ago

Berndnyz, The bare wire I used has worked well for 4 years. The oxidation on the copper will not affect its conductivity which is what keeps the slugs off. If you have some old wires around of any type (you may have to cut off the insulation) don't throw it away, put it to good use. Aluminum wire will work as well. It is cheap, effective and long lasting.

Jon

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

Jon, thanks! I will try it to send them elsewhere. I have to watch out not to cut my fingers when removing insulation. I probably need some staples to let the wire stick somewhat to the ground.
    Though I love to remove them permanently so they can not lay eggs again. After they eat pellets I like to see their slimy trails in the morning and then do a body count.
    Bernd

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

We have 1" snails and all sorts of slugs. I tried the wire back when copper was cheap. Didn't work for me. Could be because they climb over leaves that sometimes lay over the wire. Around here they climb up stucco walls and hide in the eaves. Sluggo works very well for me, but I have to apply it to my yard year round. When I use it, they go away to die so I don't get clusters of bodies.

Do whatever works best for you.

-Babka

• Jon 6a SE MA
    12 years ago

Absolutely Babka if leaves lay over the wire slugs have a path to avoid the slight charge that they won't cross. Burying it or gaps underneath defeats the purpose as well. I have had good luck for 4 years with the same wire that is now dark brown, which makes it invisible.

Bernd, be careful with the knives. If you find it works well, then you might want to invest in some barecopper wire that you can get at any home / hardware store. If you enjoy the carnage, then beer traps are great. My advice, try the wire and save the beer for late afternoon strolls through the garden. I don't buy the staples / hooks, I use old wire clothes hangers and cut off lengths, bend them and have a no cost hook that when installed is invisible and no one knows (not that I care) how cheap I am.

Jon

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jon - do you ever remove the wire when you want to edge, mulch, cultivate etc, or can you just work around it? I picture it constantly getting snagged by garden tools, or buried with compost etc.
    Jan

• Jon 6a SE MA
    12 years ago

Jan- Most of my wiring is simply laid down and raising it to the top of new mulch is simple. Twist on a new length to expand a bed You do have to play with it to get it to lie just on the top of the bed. In areas that I walk through, side of the driveway specifically in my case, it is a trip hazard and a little more trouble to adjust for mulch. I stake it down every few feet so it is not that bad. If you spend $10 a month on Sluggo and spend time every month spreading it that is $60-$70 a season that you could spend on new hostas and the time saved (theoretically, but probably not actually) could be spent planting them. I have snagged a wire with the lawn mower however. Doing that once will make you pay attention.

• heartwork
    9 years ago

I have used some old wooden ceiling planks, insulated copper wire and a 9V battery to construct an electric slug fence. It works really good, zero slugs total were being able to cross it so far.

There is a really small amount of maintanence work involved, and it was fairly easy to make. I made a blog entry in case anyone is interested, would appreciate any kind of feedback on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Electric Slug Fence

• lupinguy
    9 years ago

This is such a great post. Earlier I had posted about aluminum shavings I was going to try that I could get from work. However I can also get an abundance of wire as well. Thanks to everyone for posting in here.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!