Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahillbilly

Pot-Heads

hostahillbilly
11 years ago

Please, pics that are all about the pot . . .

Comments (65)

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good answers, thanks!

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I see you have re-purposing down pat <_>

• hostanista
    11 years ago

This "pot" is an old wooden swing, too rickety to sit on. Impatiens fill it up.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hard to see embedded tipped barrel

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Another bird bath that you can barely see planted with white Lobelia.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

actually, we really do like strawberries, but in the shade, ummm,

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Small Fuschia in a bullfrog

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and hypertofa is cheap and easy to make

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Ajuga in a small bird cage

This post was edited by Hostanista on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 15:29

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Sadly I either don't have any clever pots, or I don't have pictures of them! But I'm inspired by some of the great ideas here - my favourite is hostanista's great swing filled with impatiens (one of the hardest working flowers available and one of my favourites.)
    Jan

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

But Jan, I like that BIG brown pot!

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

now if only I had a matching tea cup to go next to the pot

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cement pots git character with age

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pedestal required

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a 'MichiGander' pot - ok, mebbe it's a swan ^_^

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mebbe a plain pot jes need a good pedestal

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

da ol' holler stump trick

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Hypertufa was fun but messy. These were made summer of 2011. I hope to have a project this summer.

My trough

DH's trough

The leaf

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

basket-cases

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sometimes plain is what fits best

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hanging cast iron frame garage sale find, with pot dropped in

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bundt cake pan

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

Hostanista: I absolutely adore you bullfrog. I am in love with it. If I could sneak up to it and kiss it do you think it would turn into my prince:? Ii's eyes are absolutely captivating.
    Theresa

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Theresa: Yes Mr. Bullfrog is a heart-stealer for sure. Here he is this summer guarding the Toad Crossing at the creek. He had lost his Fuschia by then. I might try a small fern in him this spring. And that's Cooper my Aussiedoodle in the creek.

• hostanista
    11 years ago

A old wicker side table, turned upside down, spray painted bright green, holding a massive Poinsettia from the previous Christmas.

• hostanista
    11 years ago

An antique fireplace grate I got for a steal at an outdoor market, which I plant up with different things every year - that one has a variety of annuals. The metal dog standing guard is Spike, cut from an old propane tank (not by me). Can you tell he's a boy?

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Sometimes pots don't have to contain anything at all. Here's some extra clay pots I had lying around that dressed up a shady pathway between houses leading to the back yard. A few bits of newly planted Japanese Spurge add a touch of green.

At the very top of the pic is an old red maple syrup bucket planted with a fern.

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

Fun topic!
    My favourite plant in a strawberry pot is succulents.

An old birdcage planted.

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

Gosh; my creative mind is overwhelming me! I don't know where to go. I have so much that I think of as trash that can make artistic potted displays.

OMG, the last thing I need is a reason to SAVE more stuff. But what an honorable cause :)
    Les had an old shovel that the wood rotted so badly it had broken and he wanted to toss the steel blade. I saved it. I'd wire brushed it and spray painted it a metallic silver and it is now a garden 'treat'. It is beyond me how anyone can just toss such a trusty friend as an old shovel?
    Theresa

This post was edited by gogirlterri on Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 20:50

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Since I got into hosta, I've had a desire to take care of plants during the winter, to take the edge off not seeing my outside plants, I guess. I have just a few African Violets potted up; here's my dwarf in a 2" pot. I like the leaf variegation on this one.

Regards,
    Don B.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

No rustic pot here, but I liked this $5 'Sagae' from HD in an existing pot. Bernd

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

In 2010 as an experiment I planted several $3 TCs from HD in this pot in front of the house in the porch; they liked it there. But all died over winter or in spring, possibly because I piled snow on them. Bernd

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Here are a couple of green pots that I put hosta in last year. I love pretty ceramic pots.

Guacamole

Red Alert

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Love this thread. What wonderful imaginations you all have. I was glad to see the flowers included. I have lots of hostas in pots but the pots themselves are not all that unique. I usually hide them behind other things and the pots are to bring the plants to different levels. I'll look through some pictures and see what I have to share.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Beverly
    I love your concrete leaf. Did you make it? I would like to try making some concrete ideas on internet I like too and when it is a bit warmer will try them out

• User
    11 years ago

Awesome thread with separately loaded photos. I was noticing the leaf of cement or hypertufa. I think Little and Lewis out in Bainbridge Island WA made a business out of their cement items. Great artistry complements (or is that compliments?) our gardens. Another layer of beauty.

That first photo, with a bait bucket, was that CATCH OF THE DAY? Or is there a hosta named FISH OR CUT BAIT? It is a real challenge thinking of the symbolism.

• dg
    11 years ago

Caladium and Elephant Ears in a hypertufa pot I made several years ago.

Deb

• dg
    11 years ago

Hypertufa troughs on a small retaining wall planted with various sedum ground cover, basket of Vera Jamison front left and rouge succulent ground cover spreading through the rocks.

Deb

• dg
    11 years ago

Geranium in fall dress, planted in a wooden carpenter's tote. This is the best photo as an example of the "pot" but, the plant was actually pretty during the summer.

As a plant-pot-head, I'm enjoying everyone's pot plantings and getting inspired as well ;-)

Deb

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

My "concrete" leaf was made from leftover hypertufa mix. The recipe I used was too much for the pot I wanted to make. I had enough left over to make the two troughs and the leaf. To get the veins of the leaf (sieboldiana Elegans) to show you need to add more water. So I added water to what was left to make the leaf. I would do that again, less left over? Smaller leaf.

Original pot I planned (no plants growing yet so not so pretty)

• esther_b
    11 years ago

Here is my be-yoo-ti-ful glazed strawberry pot. Planted with anything BUT strawberries. I saw this gorgeous pot at T.J. Maxx weeks before the planting season started, a couple of years ago. And I GRABBED it because I knew it would be gone like the wind if I didn't. And I am sooo glad that I did. I made a mini Japanese garden for about 18" around it by putting a large marble tile on the ground, then covering that with an inch of river gravel and surrounding the tile with a "fence" of pieces of slate to contain the gravel.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Well, not the pots, but the pots' holder.
    A horse evener over lancifolia.

tj

• plantbug
    11 years ago

H Night Before Christmas

• dg
    11 years ago

Very creative tsugajunkie, I like it a lot! I may have to copy your idea, that is, if you don't mind!

One thing I'd like to mention about the hangers (for your pots of impatients) that you called "horse eveners" ...

in our part of the country the middle one is called a "double tree" and the two outside ones are "single trees" used, as you indicated, for team horses pulling wagons or old school farm implements (instead of tractors).
    ;-)
    Deb

• plantbug
    11 years ago

wheelbarrow, hosta, and native friends

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Thanks Deb. You go right ahead and use that idea.
    More years ago than I'd care to remember (so let's just say during the Eisenhower/Kennedy terms), my uncles on farms around Stevens Point, WI used horses for many things even though they had tractors. They referred to the hitches as single and double tree eveners.

I picked it up for a couple bucks at an auction many years ago and my wife was quite perplexed but I knew it and my contorted pine were made for each other.

tj

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Pictures are fixed. Now I can share a few. Better late than never I guess. I've enjoyed all the above pictures. I can not wait to plant lobelia in a pot and put it on a pedestal and place it somewhere.

Here is maybe the most unique planter I have. It is an rusty upside down lamp given to me by a neighbor. I love rusty things around in the garden and have quite a collection from him.

It is right by the front door so quite a feature. By the way HH, The mosaics in your garden are great. I like mosaic too and now want to do more as planters.

Robert Frost hosta is raised up on rusty wheel rims from trucks. I learned by mistake not to actually plant in them. There isn't much of an opening in some of them and the roots eventually got very tangled and hard to get out but I do like to put another pot inside of them.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Some of my stump plantings. This planter is now in the middle of my 3rd last... last bed made and planted in the 2012 fall.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Another stump with a sword fern planted but always seems to need more water so I may more it. This too is in one of my latest fall plantied beds Half the lombardy popular is still living.
    I have two copper patio fire pits planted but the picture was not that great but makes for a beautiful arrangement.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Planted in the fall and same stump in the background when fern has died back. May have to try something else to plant in it this spring

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022