Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photo Of the Day: Stingray by Steve_Mass

Posted by jeanne 6OH (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 14:34

This stunning photograph became the Photo of the Day on GardenWeb's FaceBook page!

I searched around on this forum and found it in the "S" thread with nary a comment. Was it discussed in a previous thread? It seems too spectacular to go unnoticed.

Steve, if you happen to read this, does your hosta always bloom like this? Is this typical of the cultivar or was this a one time aberration? A hosta that displayed those bracts on a regular basis would go to the top of my 'must have' list in an instant.

Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photo Of the Day: Stingray by Steve_Mass

Nice work, Steve!

Jeanne, thanks for posting this. Steve, I think, is responsible for selling many 'Stingray' hostas. By having it become pic of the day on GW, I'm sure he's sold a bunch more. I have one ordered. : )

Steve favors us with so many great pics, I think we've been spoiled.

Don B.

o

Ooooohhh-I want one!

o

LOL Cyn...See?? It's awesome, isn't it? : )

Don B.

o

Yes, this one shows flower bracts like this every year. Funny that I didn't post the pic on GW's Facebook page, but I posted it in the comments section in response to another post on the AHS Facebook page. It doesn't matter to me. When you put up a pic on this here Internets, it's in the public domain. Thanks for the recognition.

This kind of flower bract is typical of plants with montana heritage. Here's the bract from montana Aureomarginata. This pic was in last Fall's online journal for the AHS.

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 18:35

o

Thanks so much for the info, Steve! I need this one. I keep imagining this crossed with a seedling that has cherry red flower buds. I'm putting it on my want list.

Jeanne

o

That's amazing. I wouldn't have even guessed it was a hosta.
On the list.....
Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here