Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

We have lift off. Here they come!

Babka NorCal 9b
14 years ago

Spring has sprung here in Northern Calfornia. Invincible is once again my first to rise. Doing a happy dance.

-Babka

{{gwi:935624}}

Comments (11)

• hostahillbilly
    14 years ago

Hope this doesn't happen here until after Easter, or our annual Easter blizzard will hurt them bad . . .

Thanks for teasing!

hh

• thisismelissa
    14 years ago

Now, you're just braggin' !!!

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

Yeah,Babka,you even have me beat,but it's been a very cold winter here! Mine won't start to show until March. Phil

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    14 years ago

Babka, not to make this p...ng contest, I had my Hosta clausa var. normalis up like this on the 14th...and I didn't have a chance to take a picture of it this evening, but will make a point of doing that in the morning, it's close to unfurling...

• Hosta_Haven
    14 years ago

Oh, what a great sight to see on this 32 degree day in southern Wisconsin!

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    14 years ago

And this is what Hosta clausa var. normalis looked like at around 2PM PST... and while it's decidedly off-topic, one of my Dicentra spectabilis is in bloom.

• mctavish6
    14 years ago

Ok, I'm cheating. These are pictures from my sisters garden outside of Seattle. You are having an early spring out there in the tropics, right Pieter?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! You folks up north are way ahead of me. My shoots just keep getting taller, but not unfurling yet. We've had a lot of foggy and overcast days here. Today the sun is out so perhaps mine will catch up.

-Babka

• peggy_hosta
    14 years ago

You really should have 2 or 3' of my snow to cover them up!! (Just kidding). I'll only have to wait 3-4 more months!
    Peggy

• hostahillbilly
    14 years ago

Yea, Peggy, we fret 'Aphrodite' getting unfurled by the end of June most years!

hh

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    14 years ago

Ok, I'm cheating. These are pictures from my sisters garden outside of Seattle. You are having an early spring out there in the tropics, right Pieter?

Myrle, you're so right, it's balmy here, for sure. For the last couple of nights though we've been hovering around freezing, the price you pay for clear blue skies during the day. And with that freezing comes some frost damage. For example I have an 'Invincible' division that will have it's first set of leaves showing signs of it when they finally unfurl. Yet the leaves shown above are clear of it, thus far.

I did a good check of all the potted Hostas I have and the vast majority are poking up noses and a few are unfurling, like 'Fire Island' for instance, while others, like 'Ray of Hope' and 'Stiletto' are frightfully close. I was thrilled to see signs of my 2 'Blue Mouse Ears' seedlings poking up, but the OS 'Rhino Hide' I received last year was easily as welcome a sight, if not more so.

And, saw the first of my Daffodils opening up its flower today. While the calendar doesn't say so, the plants all around us are telling us differently. Heck, the first of the Cherry blossoms are starting to appear around town!

Pieter

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!