Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timhensley_gw

Almost wishing for spring.......

timhensley
11 years ago

I am real fan of large hostas and Mississippi Delta is proving to be one of my favorites. It's a little different looking, big, hardy and slug resistant.

Blue Arrow and friends.

This bed of hostas under the maple tree are going to be thinned out this spring. Although I love my hostas, I want to add some different shade tolerant plants. It tends to get a little boring with only hostas.

Can't go wrong with Elegans. I moved this guy from TN to VT. Last summer it measured over 7 1/2" across.

This is my little hillside garden. Hope you guys enjoy.

Thanks for looking!

Comments (11)

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Tim, I agree with you, we need spring. I also love big blue hostas, have several, just ordered 'Millenium', and 'Frank Lloyd Wright' should also become large.
    But I have some spring already in my basement, growing hosta seedlings. Bernd

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

TIM , Everyone keeps saying maples will choke out the hosta roots but your;s seem to be growing with vigor. Are they in bags? Very Nice!

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Tim. Your gardens are outstanding!

Steve

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Ohhhh another matronly clump of Elegans . . . my heart always swells when others love her as much as I do.

Splendid display Tim !!! Thank you so much for sharing :)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Enjoyed the tour of some very nice plants, Tim. Thanks for taking the time to post.

tj

• User
    11 years ago

Nice to see such a lovely garden, Tim. You brightened the day here, always great when another person comes forward with such beauties.

And if you wish to thin out hosta as large as you have, how about a Bobcat to help out? My DH's son in New Hampshire has just the equipment to take a bunch of hosta off your hands. :)

• plantbug
    11 years ago

Quote, "Although I love my hostas, I want to add some different shade tolerant plants. It tends to get a little boring with only hostas." I'll take the ones that moccasinlanding leaves behind. Love those pictures!

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

Great gardens,Tim! I didn't know there was that much flat ground in Vermont! I don't think that many hostas are boring,but I do agree that there should be ferns,and Heucheras in there. Phil,on a hillside in western NC. Phil

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Nice Tim. If you have the room, there is nothing like a large hosta to make a statement.

Possibility of 2+ feet of blizzard headed here for Friday through Saturday afternoon. We are not just 'almost' wishing for Spring here.

Jon

• timhensley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Almosthooked - no there are not in bags. I didn't realize how much the maple trees held them back until we had a very large one removed a couple of years back. Within a year all the hosta underneath the big maple exploded in size. Luckily our summer are not usually to hot and we typically get a fair amount of rain.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

No "almost" about my wishing for spring, but looking at your lovely hosta beds helps. Thanks for the reminder, too. I put in an all-hosta area last year, and I guess it does need a few other plants to break the monotony. Better to know NOW while there's still room to add them.

I did put in bleeding heart and a Japanese fern, but the BH didn't come up and the raccoons dug up the poor fern so many times I doubt if it will survive.