Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

Snow Snakes

hostanista
11 years ago

Snow snakes all over my trees today. I know, it has nothing to do with hostas but I just thought I'd throw it out there. Too weird not to share.

Comments (32)

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Ok...I'll bite. How do you get snow snakes?

bk

• hostanista
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have no idea!

I was walking my dog on the property this morning and saw these snow snakes all over the trees. I went back to get the camera before the wind blew them away. It must be an odd combination of the type of snow and swirling winds that created these shapes in the trees.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Great pix.

Caused by the odd combination of the branch heating up to allow the snow to come off, but cold enough for the snow to cling to itself and the wind nudging it off the branch just enough.

Either that or a snowman sneezing.

tj

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

That's something! Since we only have snow once every two or three years, I may never see that in real life.

bk

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Very fun. Closest I had was this snow scarf many years ago.

Paul

• hostanista
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cool scarf.

Someone on another thread mentioned they barbecue right through the winter even in the snow.

This is why I don't.

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

A shovel and a broom - you can BBQ!
    Jan

• hostanista
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jan: ...and a hooded parka and boots up to here (sigh)sorry but the steak doesn't quite sizzle because of the cold getting into the BBQ. Life is too short to eat bad steak. I appreciate the enthusiasm since I know we're both in the same weather zone! You go for it, I'll wait till the hosta pips are showing!

At least snow's good for something!!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Nista, definitely a case of making lemonade.

Jon

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

It takes only a few more weeks, then no more snow until next winter.

• User
    11 years ago

How fascinating! Never saw or heard of such snakes and scarves. Now that Canadian fridge, you have a winner on your hands. Just open the back door and VOILA! Poke a few brewskis into the snow, that is some snow drift up above the door. A very good reason that exterior doors open INWARD in snow country. Storm doors who needs em. Open the second story window and walk out. Have you done that before, Hostanista?

BTW, we will be grilling outdoors in the next couple of days. I bought the baby back ribs today.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

I spent 32 years in the Chicago area and never saw snow "snakes" or "scarves". Super pics of a wonderful, really cool phenomenon. Thank you for posting those.

-Babka

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

I went and showed my friends at work the photos of the ice snakes ect and we were amazed. Best I can do is turn on a sprinkler and hope it freezes when I am below 32 deg. This week has truly been an arctic lesson for me. Canadian Frig. lol I did that when I was in Oklahoma. I did not have a frig so I set my can goods on the outside window sill of the barracks to stay cold. Have a great BBQ all where ever you are. Paula

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

This is a picture from our friends . Not snow snakes but ice tree

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Another of ice flowers on a lake.

• User
    11 years ago

I love the snow flowers on the lake. What is going on with that? Like agate beauties inside the globes, some crazy migration of snow across a lake?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    ---William Shakespeare, "Hamlet", Act 1 scene 5.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

I guess snow flowers are formed like hoar frost. I haven't seen these since we lived up noth(mile 49 and mile 300 Alaska Highway area of BC ) It is spectacular but when we lived there it was kind of like the northern lights , we thought them beautiful but never took too many pictures( too darn cold). Go figure.

• dg
    11 years ago

It was hard to get a photo of this (winter 2011) but the ice-sickles thawed a little then more were created and pushed the first ones under the eave. The first ice-sickles were actually horizontal under the eaves.

Creating...um..."Eave ice-curls" or ??

Deb

• User
    11 years ago

Wow, nice ice flowers, Fay. And Deb, I turned my head every direction to make the icicles go down toward the ground, and it still looked cock-eyed, so I read your text....if all else fails, read the instructions? And I understood what you had described.

I'm noticing your asparagus fern basket....is that OUTSIDE? i KNOW they are tough enough to take the heat here, but never imagined they ranged as far north as Canada, open air hardy. Mucho respect for a plant which can do that.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Here's a link to another winter phenomenon - Frazil Ice.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Frazil Ice - Yosemite (7mins)

• hostanista
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Paul! That's absolutely amazing. I had no idea frazil ice existed. Thanks for posting that link!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

I got to see "Light Pillars" a couple times. The first time I saw them I thought they were a bizarre form of northern lights. They are formed sometimes when you have a kind of ice fog.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Light Pillars

• dg
    11 years ago

Cool photos of snow snakes and interesting ice formations. The Canadian beer fridge was right on! Loved the Yosemite vid. Such an awesome National Park. We visited it in early June 1995. Crowds were minimal at that time of year partly because, while our daughter was out for the summer, most other kids were still in school :-D

Yes, Moccasin, that was a tough old asparagus fern, but we are located in south central Illinois (below I-70) not Canada. It looked good for a while in early winter so I just left the thing out to croak.
    ;-)
    There is another winter nature phenomenon called "snow rollers" that I've seen, but not gotten a photo of. I've attached a link to someone's vid explaining them with photos. Although the link says they are rare, I've seen them locally in 1997 and 2012, so...
    Deb

Here is a link that might be useful: vid of snow rollers

This post was edited by Dgregory on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 10:29

• User
    11 years ago

You folks are so amazing in the diversity of experiences and interests! Nature itself is a dynamic force to be reckoned with every day. Not always benign, filled with awesome beauty.

• dg
    11 years ago

I agree, it's neat to read about other folk's interest and experiences as we meet here on Garden Web. Ah yes, the Mothers Nature and Earth are wondrous, awesome, beautiful and to be feared, often all at the same time!

hehe, remember this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: It's not nice to fool Mother Nature

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

Cool, I see 'light pillars' frequently. I've just never heard them called that! Winter does present us with beauty. But when it is bitterly cold, one doesn't have the urge to take out the camera, lol.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

We here in upstate NY had an event today called 'No Snow'. Schools were closed because of that blizzard to come, but only 1/2 inch of snow fell until 6:00 pm. 3 boys rolled down my driveway in 1/2 inch of snow, roads are completely clear. But perhaps tonight...
    So on Saturday I measure behind the house - 5 inches, so an easy pass with the blower. But Mass and Connecticut probably had a lot more than mine.
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 8:29

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

For all the East Coast hosta lovers , stay safe and stay warm .

• dg
    11 years ago

Hilarious almosthooked, love it! :-D
    I hope you don't mind, I copied the cat photo and emailed it to a Canadian friend. He'll appreciate it.

hehehe, I'm still snickering,
    Deb

• User
    11 years ago

Nothing like a roll in the snow while looking for the litter box! Teeeheeehehehe.

This morning after might be awful cold for some folks, I see over 400,000 w/o power in MA alone. Take care, my friends.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

Those snow snakes are amazing, glad you posted the picture.

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

This is really fun. I would send you a pic of my yard but it looks just like it did at the height of the drought in August-brown grass. I would really get excited to see snow.

You progably all think Theresa is nuts when she has said we haven't had snow. We haven't had more than 1/2" for 2 years. I sent something in the mail yesterday and in the return address I put in Wilmington AZ ubstead of IL (that's a joke-I didn't do that!).

I have never seen the snow snakes in my long life and I laughed out loud at the comment about a snowman sneezing. It was an un-gross way of putting it that made me laugh.

Sorry I am so late in responding - we've been fighing computer issues.

Les