Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uk_hostaman

don_r's 'pride and joy'

uk-hostaman
13 years ago

anyone know if this hosta is in production or just a one off?....i really hope it is

{{gwi:935999}}

{{gwi:934488}}

{{gwi:936000}}

{{gwi:936001}}

Comments (12)

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

Isn't that Rhino Hide?

Yes, it's in production and very reasonably priced now.

• bkay2000
    13 years ago

Are you sure they are the same? I really like the one UK posted. However, the Rhino Hide in the hosta library doesn't seem as attractive.

bkay

• Steve Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Can't find it anywhere. Looks like it's not in circulation. You might try the Hallson's forums.

• hosta_junkie
    13 years ago

I just happened to be checking the recent auction results on the AHS site and see that "Pride and Joy" donated by Don Rawson was acquired by a bidder for $150. And the Hosta Library contains the exact same photos you have posted above. So it's around but perhaps hard to find. I agree - gorgeous hosta.

• donrawson
    13 years ago

Hmmmmm....ya like this one? So do I! And I think I know where you can get it. :)

I've been growing this beauty for over 12 years now... it's my sport of Paul's Glory. The margins are much wider... the leaves are thicker...it grows better and bigger than Paul's Glory...and it's probably a tetraploid. Great variegation...it draws a lot of attention whenever I have visitors to my garden. (I've had some people say it's their favorite...and everyone who has seen it says they like it better than Paul's Glory.) It eventually becomes quite a large hosta at maturity.

I kinda screwed up...I should have introduced this one ten years ago, since it's better than the other sports of Paul's Glory IMO. But nowdays there's just too many sports of Paul's Glory on the market, so no one is interested in tissue culturing another one. So I just take off a couple divisions each summer and offer them on the Hosta Library auction to some lucky bidder...

PS It's not related to hosta Rhino Hide...and actually is quite different from Rhino Hide.

• sidney1515
    13 years ago

WOW.. . now that could make your heart beat faster. . WOW

• nutmeg4061
    13 years ago

I can`t stop staring at the third picture.
    WOW INDEED.

Thanks for posting, UK.

• ctopher_mi
    13 years ago

Hi,

I agree, it is too similar to other Paul's Glory sports to introduce now. Check out these plants for an alternative:

Lakeside Shore Master (registered as unknown parentage, but believed to be a sport of Paul's Glory)
    St. Paul (for me this one has a thinner center than the plant shown above)
    Paradise Glory

• bkay2000
    13 years ago

It's a gorgeous plant.

bkay

• donrawson
    13 years ago

I have Lakeside Shore Master, St. Paul, and Paradise Glory. In fact, I brought them a few years ago and planted them all in the same flowerbed as Pride and Joy to compare. Paradise Glory is the most similar to Pride and Joy so far. I'll take pics of all four this summer and post them here so we can see the differences. :)

• gardenfanatic2003
    13 years ago

That's a beauty!!!

Deanna

• flowerchild59
    13 years ago

What a beautiful hosta. I would love to see it in person some day.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County