Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

any doodlers out there?

hostanista
11 years ago

Once in a while (not very often) the right side of my brain kicks in and I feel like doodling. Tried a couple of charcoal pencil hostas today. It's been a while, obviously need practice! Are there any others out there? Let's see your stuff!

Comments (11)

• hostanista
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Attempt #2 at charcoal hostas!

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

As soon as I figure out how to scan and post mine I will join you. Most recent is a dwg. in pen & ink that I'd done for my church. It depicts the empty draped cross on a masonry pedestal. Amongst the landscaping in front is a hosta. Though it is biblically incorrect, I couldn't resist doing it.
    Theresa

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey terri.. use your camera... take a pic
    ken

• User
    11 years ago

At this point in life, my paints are stored. However, I do have some digital paintings.....photos "treated" with Virtual Painter. I cannot get the software to load on Windows 7 computer, but I've done a lot of plants other than hosta. What they call Photoshopping a photo is sometimes very painterly.

Yes, Theresa, is your camera able to take a picture? I've done JPGs from magazines instead of saving pages. You can do it with your artwork as well. experiment with and without flash.

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Very nice. You make me want to start sketching again.

• tepelus
    11 years ago

I draw once in a while, not hostas but people and the occasional landscape and animal. I used to paint with oils but I haven't done any paintings in a long time. I also worked with inks, too. Now when I do make any art it is just with graphite pencils. Nowadays my creative time is spent writing my novels, which I hope to one day publish, but every so often I get the urge to draw. Here's a landscape I drew a few months back of a ruined medieval Hungarian church:

I have a DeviantArt account where I have a few of my other drawings on there, including an Oscar Wilde portrait I did that I'm quite proud of. Check it out.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: My Other Art

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Nista and Karen,

Beautiful work. Both of you. I like "Attempt #2" Nista. It reminds me of a picture I took of Florence Shaw's garden in Weston called Birchwood. Let me see if I can find that picture. Found it.

Steve

• hostanista
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Karen: Fantastic! You should be proud of that Oscar Wilde portrait - it's amazing. You are a very talented artist! Lessons in your past or just a natural? Either way, very impressive!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

I am sooo jealous. I've never been able to draw and am in awe of of you talented types. Tepelus is definitely more an artist than a doodler.

Moccasinlanding, If you want a replacement for Virtual Painter, check out Topaz Simplify. It's *almost* like being able to paint - although I never push it far enough and the "painting" looks too much like a photo. As I recall, not too expensive, and if you sign up for one of their webinars, you usually get a code that gives you 20% off one of their programs, too. Not sure if it works as a stand-alone program; I have a plug-in. Here's a TS version of Paradigm.

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. I'm pretty much self taught, I took art classes through school many moons ago but we never really had lessons on learning to draw, just given a picture and told to draw it for an assignment. I never took any college classes either. I've read a few how to pamphlets and books and such, but I learned mostly by copying what I see. I'm a much better copier (drawing from a picture) than I am at drawing something from my imagination. I've gotten quite out of practice when it comes to drawing original work since I don't do it much, but give me a photo to draw and it'll come out looking great.

Karen

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken and Moc-yes I have a digital camera that isn't bad and a tripod. I never thought of taking a picture. duh!
    I'll play with that today.
    By the way hostanista and tepelus, I love your drawings.

Theresa