Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_mass

First Look Auction

My favorite Auction the First Look Auction is currently live. It's the "February Auction" as Moccasin Landing calls it. It will run through February 23rd. Plenty of time to get bids in, or just to peruse the expensive rarities that pop up in such a setting. Window shopping is free, but be forewarned these Hosta are tempting.

Here's the link First Look Auction.

Steve

Comments (30)

• User
    11 years ago

Yep, very tempting hosta but also seed packets offered. They are in the process of coming online since noon today (Sunday), and I'm waiting for THE one I've wanted for a long time, soon to be put up, I'm hoping everyone overlooks it so I have a clear shot at it. Just a wee tiny thing.

But Alligator Alley, which was so popular on the AHS auction just completed a couple of weeks ago, is offered with First Look as well.

Last year, I did not know one auction from another, this year I at least have it figured out. I did get seeds of Old Bill and the hosta Afterglow last year, but of course did not go to the stratosphere with the high rollers. I am no hybridizer, and it would be a shame for me to deny some serious hosta grower the opportunity to use such unique hosta in a breeding program.

Go on over, as Steve suggests, and read about the offerings. Some of those will be retailing in a couple of years....hopefully.

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Yeah, Moccasin, I'm watching the auction today, and the snow. There are some real beauties there.

I wonder if anyone knows what the F2 or F1 mean on the seed offerings. I have seeds going now but would like to have a small supply for next year. A search of the seed forum gives me too much or nothing at all.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

F1 ist first generation, F2 is second generation. See here also :

Here is a link that might be useful: F1, F2

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

well, well, I just googled F1 hybrid (DH suggestion) and got my answer. F! is better than F2 and Wikkipedia is good for something.

Beverly

• Steve Massachusetts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beverly,

These refer to the different generations of seedlings from its parent. For example, a seedling from Dorothy Benedict would be an F1. A seedling from that seedling would be F2 and so on. It's just a way of keeping track of generations.

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

DB gives her genes to her children [f1] ... then they cross the children.. to something else.. taking the genes in a new diretion .. adding to the gene pool [f2] ...

so if DB is big.. blue and streaked white.. perhaps n f2.. they want to add a yellow with wavy edges ...

f1 is not NECESSARILY better ...

its all about the GOAL of the next step ... the POTENTIAL of the new genes added ...

make any sense???

ken

ps: so maybe they crossed DB onto DB [F1] ... and now they cross it to blue mouse ears [F2].. trying to make a MINI mouse eared dorothy ... lol ... she was a card.. she would have laughed at that ... and would have laughed heartily.. if we called it 'streaky dorothy with the big ears'

i was always entertained by 'mildred seaver streaked' ... lol ... well??? did she now ...

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

The DB F1 x OP seeds on the First Look Auction are from our garden. DB F1's seem to grow faster for us than regular Dorothy Benedict seeds most of the time....just saying.

Not sure if F1's are better than F2's...wondering why Wikkipedia states this?

Have fun with the auction!

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

OK so here it goes. I will ramble some.

According the quick reading I did on Wiki, F1 stands for Filial 1, the first filial generation. To paraphrase, F1 hybrids more consistantly pass along the traits of the parent, in this case DB compared to F2 seedlings. The traits I am interested in are streaking, DB and green/blue coloring from Frances Williams. You need only look at the discussion about first love to realize what a winning color combination this is. These are the traits I would like in my seedlings, therefore, I concluded (not Wiki) that F1 was better for me, given the goals I have.

Thanks for listening
    Beverly

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

DB F1's seem to grow faster for us than regular Dorothy Benedict seeds most of the time....just saying.

===>>> but your cross is open pollinated [OP] ... of course they will grow faster.. since they are moving away from pure DB ... of which.. DB is just about the slowest hosta EVER!!!!.. if it doenst commit suicide after paying $250 dollars for it ...

i have had great luck with OP .. the bees are so much better at it all ..

but with OP.. its really hard to establish and move toward a goal .. since you have already lost control of the gene pool ....

all theory.. regardless of such.. just have a great time doing whatever you are doing...

ken

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

Buying DB seeds are much cheaper and moving more toward the goal of DB genes than paying for DB. Of course now there are tc DB's available and some are very nice!

Maybe some of the DB seedlings could be posted on this forum so others can see what one can come up with by planting DB genes seeds.
    Jeff-Allnitro has some really nice seedlings.....maybe he will share.

• Steve Massachusetts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Trudy is correct. If you bid on the DB x OP seeds on the auction you can access the genetics behind this great hybridizing plant without spending $200. Here's my DB x OP seedling. A lot of soft blue in this one.
    {{gwi:936266}}

Steve

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks Steve, you are getting the idea of the F1, F2 and so on!
    Nice seedling by the way!!!

Hostas do not grow true to seed, reading the definition in Wikipeida is confusing to me.

DB F1 OP seedling
    seedling..... notice the shape and form of the seedlings is moving the DB round shape.

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Your seedlings, and seeds are great Trudy. And Steve, nice picture. I new I could count on the forum to encourage me to buy.

Beverly

• User
    11 years ago

Awesome contributions to this thread! Thanks for the input, you knowledgeable folks. Wiki is only as good as its contributors make it, so Ken should critique it and make sure it is kosher...or whatever.

I have some of Trudy's seeds, will have to check the label on the little envelopes but with DH's help we have some going now, and I think it was F1s. "Do you know where your children are tonight?" well, I bet that Trudy knows where all her seed went, hope we can do justice to her.

Beverly, OF COURSE you can count on the forum to encourage you to buy. hehehehe, I am about to laugh myself silly here. Ah yes, spring is almost sprung, and my bottle of Mosel wine is almost done, and I wish it could be shared with you guys. It is a lovely rainy night, slightly warm, flower pots on the back deck to get washed and spruced up to welcome the changing season. My architect (not being pretentious, that is what he is, and I love picking his brain and education!) is coming tomorrow with the almost-final plan for our remodel, and I will introduce him to the DH. Comfort is the objective, don't you know, not the latest fad, because at our age, we take our comforts very seriously. As we also take our gardens.

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks Allnitro, knew I could count on you to set the story straight...put that in your pipe and smoke it to.....or for you we can now put that in your smoker along with the pork chops! LOL

Love you cute seedling. Has the best shape and perfect streaking!

We 'Hosta Seed Growers' are real pushers of hosta seeds!

Mocassin...yes I do know where my children are! Safe and sound, hoping anyway......

• User
    11 years ago

Lordy, I was typing that up and Allnitro must have been sending in her photo contribution about the same time, because I never saw that little streaker.

At first I was not a fan of streakers, but as this winter progresses I'm getting the fever.

Time for me to travel across Mobile Bay to the nursery that sells Fafards blend for the last seeds for this year.

• trudy_gw
    11 years ago

Fafards is one the best mixes around. In our area we are having a problem finding this brand.

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

My nursery is out of Farfards seed starting mix and now potting soil (as I bought the last as a compromise). Guess I better let them know they need to stock more next year. I think I'll add some perlite to lighten it up a bit.

Beverly

• jarih Hynninen
    11 years ago

Here is my six pack. These are open pollinated DB. Growing well.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Jarih! Whats happening! Thanks for giving the Hosta Library a picture of your 'Bridal Falls', it needed one in a big way...

Regards,
    Don B.

Pretty little seedlings you have there

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Look at the 'First Look Auction' website now, over 30 donations now with wonderful hostas and seeds. Perhaps I will be able to bid on one of them, but prices are getting high!
    Bernd

Here is a link that might be useful: First Look Auction

• allnitro
    11 years ago

I took this pic of this cup of open pollenated 'Dorothy Benedict' seedlings this morning and thought to myself "who wouldn't want a few of these gems growing in their gardens?"

• User
    11 years ago

Oh boy, this thread is going to be LONG---LOOOOOVE IT!
    I just came from the First Look Auction, where I about had heart failure. More than one of those beauties is going to fetch a fine price.

I see now how I got mixed up last year and did some dealing at the Hosta Library Auction before I discovered the one called First Look. Now I have a bit more smarts.

My observation re choosing fragrant hosta closest to the parent plant was based on the strength of scent. Or fragrance if you will. Would that trait not be more pronounced in the generations closest to Mama plantaginea? And perhaps as time goes on, breeding back to mama? I figure that Royal Standard sets a lot of seed, and it is a first line descendant, so the posibility of fragrance is stronger from his use.

Those are some cute little streaked seedlings, AllNitro! They are so tiny and already showing their nature.....

Won't be writing much tonight, the puppy is curled up in my lap on my mouse arm, it was really cold here today and she is a short hair doxie, the floor is too cold for her.

Here is my contribution to First Look, no auction:

• Steve Massachusetts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice little ratter, BJ. You are correct that the further away from the species plantaginea, the weaker the scent seems to be. So to strengthen the scent, a backcross to the species would be the right move. Are you going to get Stud Muffin? That's Roger Kinchen (seban13) who is bidding against you.

Steve

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Nobody has outbid me yet on Cool as a Cucumber. ::fingers crossed::

Roger is certainly making some of those bids interesting. Quite the aggressive collector. :)

My heart is set on Stag's Leap, but not for that price. The more seasoned collector's can enjoy the OS division. I hope to snag one of the TC in the years to come.

Anyone else out there bidding besides Mocc and I ?

Steve I saw you were on some of the initial open offerings. Those bids go up in price quick.

Ludi

• User
    11 years ago

Steve, OUTBIDDING would be apt!

There are 50 items in the Hosta auction, and quite a few are going skyward. Sure wish I could do little Stud Muffin, but thinking about my house remodel project, I'm getting cold feet which puts a crimp in bidding up high....although that is what I had intended to do for this one hosta.

Last year, I bid on a Stuart Asch hosta and came in second, someone else got it. But Mr. Asch contacted me and for the price I bid offered another piece of that hosta to me. It was one of those last-minute bids that took the auctioned item--Ludi, watch out for that, keep on your toes as the time to end the auction approaches.

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Indeed Mocc . . . learned that lesson last year when someone outbid me on one of Naylor's plants at the last second.

I have an alarm set on my phone to go off a half hour before the auction goes down . . .

Ludi

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

The seeds are mostly of large plants. I think I may have to pass now that I have a goal in mind for my seed growing hobby. It is still fun to watch.

Beverly

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Only bid in the last 3 minutes to keep the price down for yourself and possibly win.

I am with Beverly, have set my goals in hostas and hybridizing, have bought just what I want, and ran out of space. I just looked again into the Auction site, 69 donations now, great stuff there!
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 16:36

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz