Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

Six more weeks of carp

hostanista
10 years ago

So with 6 more weeks of winter predicted by various rodents of North America, I made a local library run today.....and SCORED this: over 400 gorgeous pages of all you'd ever want in garden planning. AND I CAN KEEP IT FOREVER! It was on a cart marked "Free to a Good Home". Put the cappuccino on, curl into my favorite chair, I'm all set until the first pip breaks through the ground.

Comments (28)

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

6 more weeks, so what? We always had 9 more weeks of winter until April Fools Day in this zone 5, only the last few years we had no snow in the middle of March. So the woodchucks say it will be a short winter, only 6 more weeks of it, which would be March 10, I like it.
    Bernd

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're right Bernd, if we only get 6 more weeks of this stuff I'd be thrilled. Here's a pic taken 2 years ago February 2, 2012 of the little cabin in my back yard with the grass as green as can be, just a little unmelted snow lingering in the bottom right hand side of the photo. Sigh!

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

You read a lot about a warming trend in climate, but I remember a neighbor around 1976 planting lettuce seeds outside the beginning of February. But other years then we always had a week at -20 F in January, and even in December. Bernd

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Not true! Hostas appear at the end of this month! Phil

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey freaky Phil! End of this month?? END OF THIS MONTH??!!! ARRHGGHHHHH!!! You're killin' me, man.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

End of this month?? Not on planet Colorado LOL

Beam me up, Phil.....These Denver-area garden centers suck!!

Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Mine too, they usually start showing pips in February. It's been cold (for us) this year though, so it could be later.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Mine are already starting!!!! Spartan Arrow and Diana Remembered to name a couple. This is the earliest I can recall. This is February. They don't normally begin sprouting until the end of this month not the beginning around here. Both need repotting, so that will be on my agenda this week.

-Babka

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Not really February,but early March. I should have qualified that statement! It is still cold here,but two days ago,I cleaned out the paths in part of the garden.Today,it's dreary and cloudy,and I know winter isn't over yet. Phil

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Ha, my hostas here in zone 5 already have leaves, but those are in my basement. I just today up-cupped 40 of 100, rest got culled. Those 4 inch seedlings are dreaming probably to get outside at the beginning of May, same as I when I look at them. We just had 8 inch of snow, but average temperature will increase now every month, in March alone by 10 dgrs. Bernd

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I'm sending out the posse!!!

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, well...

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Waiting for spring!

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

At least it's pretty out. We had an icy fog this morning and it was lovely.

H Macra Beni Kaze - in the front hosta garden

Butterfly bush and yew - in the back hosta garden

Still wish I was looking at hostas on a nice warm day instead!

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

North Carolina can look like this too. But last weekend I put in three new beds for the spring orders.
    Kathy

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathy, you're making me dizzy....

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Dizzy, yes, why does that snow not fall down into the trees?

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

So I guess that one posted upside down for you. Sorry. Looks great on the iPad. I got an EXIF viewer app so I can see the orientation number of the pic, but don't know how to rotate them yet. Guess I can research that today since I won't be outside for a while.
    Kathy

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

Well, my little pips are buried under 6' of snow. They are sleeping and I think they probably just love it. When they come up in a few months I will start digging and transplanting. Until then, sleep my babies.

My little seedlings are up and growing and they are such cute little leaves. Usually, seedlings of other plants come up with seed leaves and then you get the true leaves. With hostas, you get the real thing right out of the ground. So very cute.

• User
    10 years ago

Robot, such great images. As long as I'm not navigating a boat in fog, I like to be around it....so quiet.

And ZKathy, your picture looked fine to me, don't know what I had in my glass of milk with lunch!

Love Jo's picture and Faye's as well.

Here I sit waiting for March 10, which is the average last frost date for us in Mobile. Gives me about 3 weeks to get the hosta rows situated, right? Just too too wet to do anything until it dries out some.

In 2012, many of my hosta moved south from MA were pipping and leafing in mid February. Wonder what will happen this year.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

February 2 2014 and snow was going down until today and the drops are as big as saucers and plus 3 so not sure why it isn't rain yet

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

still more snow and waiting

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

How my Wiener dogs feel ...so we make them trails, Only four or so weeks now ( we hope)

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Some of our hostas under all that snow are getting visited now by voles. They don't have to dig through frozen soil, only through soft snow.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And just when I was beginning to (foolishly) think that the worst was behind us, another 15 cm last night. Had to practically dig a tunnel to the front door. I am weary of you, February...

• User
    10 years ago

Hostanista, I love that little saltbox house. Perfect place to host a meeting of the GW Hosta Forum Irregulars! Look forward to sittin and rockin and sippin with a couple hunnerd of YOUR closest friends.

And, thaty last picture above.....I can see you flat on your back taking that shot, having shovelled and slid down to the bottom of your driveway. I think you deserve a HOT TODDY for all that effort. My word, friend, are you constructing a GLACIER DO IT YOURSELF KIT? Forget that plan. More hosta all around, nurseryman!

• User
    10 years ago

Oh, Faye, I would have missed your weiner dog if it had not come in email....what can I say! I'm printing out that picture for my DH's amusement. I already fell off my chair! How adorable.

Meanwhile this winter, our younger, Dolly, learned to dig and to catch moles. She has TWO MOLES to her credit just this week. If it is raining, she looks out the back door, and you can SEE her disdain, "You expect me to go out in THIS?"

So DH ordered an artificial turf layered poopy pad....which has "mixed reviews" at our house.....sigh....come on spring. Today they are both outdoors, chasing squirrels, digging holes, telling Papa where to put things. They're girls.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Owwww, my back hurts for you, Hostanista!!! Take Doc Mocc's toddy advice. If all else fails, go back to the last sentence of your thread opener. There...that should make you feel better.

I know, I know, the only thing that will feel better is some green outdoors! :-). Take heart....only 30 more sleeps!

I'm going nuts....took Baggie out of freezer and looked at my hosta seeds, wrapped it back up and stored it again. I'm itchin' to bring in a pot from the garage and allowing a hosta to break dormancy indoors! Someone stop me, please!