Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samnsarah

Lakeside Hostas

Tim
12 years ago

As a new hosta gardener I have seen a lot of cultivars of the Lakside Hosta. Why are there so many different cultivars of this particular hosta? They all look great, especially the newer Lakeside Pebbles, but can anyone give me any information about the origins of the Lakeside hosta and how it came to have so many cultivars?

Comments (12)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

There are a number of hybridizers (people who breed beautiful plants) who use the same word at the beginning of their Hosta names. Steve Chamberlain uses "Academy." Mildred Seaver used "Sea." Jerry Hadrava used "Rosedale." Mary Chastain, who is retired from hybridizing, used "Lakeside" at the beginning of every plant she bred. Mary is largely considered, by those who know, to be the greatest hybridizer of Hosta ever to have dabbed pollen. She was also extremely prolific. That is why you see so many Lakeside names, and they have their own special section in the Library.

There are many many Lakeside Hostas available in the trade, but there are many, many more that have been registered but are not generally available. When Mary retired, she sold all of her stock, including the name Lakeside and the rights to all of her plants to Rob Canning (Rob occasionally will post here). If there is a Lakeside Hosta that you want, and it's not generally available chances are Rob has it. Rob will sometimes have auctions of plants available on the Library auction site, and he has a Facebook page where he posts pictures of Mary's beautiful creations.

I know of at least two great Hosta gardens that have spectacular sections or beds which only contain Lakeside Hostas. There are probably more, but many of these plants are well worth having.

Steve

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

If he has a facebook page I sure couldn't find it, either under his name or Lakeside hostas. Got a link?

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Search for "Lakeside Acres" on facebook.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Link is below.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Lakeside Acres

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Oh THAT Lakeside. I already have it. Thanks!

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Sam,

Check out the pictures. Especially the album of A-Z Lakeside photos. Incredibly beautiful plants in that album. If you're on FB you may also want to check out the American Hosta Society FB group page. Great photos there also.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS Facebook page

• gardenlynne
    11 years ago

Hi - I have been gardening for 20 years, but I'm new to hostas. I bought 12 last year, but only 10 came up this year. Is this a normal attrition rate? Or did I just place the 2 poorly? I am planning to get several more this spring, and want to be careful. Thanks, lynne

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Hi Lynne and welcome: Your inquiry sounds like a good one for its own thread. Why don't you ask it again as a seperate posting. I think you might be amazed at the warm, and helpful response you will get. Expect to be asked for more info though before your inquiry will bear results.

Hi Frank! :) :) =)

Les

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Hi Lynne,

Les is right. If you'll post the same message on it's own thread, you'll get more/better answers.

My guess is that zone 9 may be part of your problem. Hosta like cold winters. Most of us in zone 8 or above grow in pots. However, my Aunt, who lives near Austin TX has hosta in the ground and they grow fine. They don't get near as large as they will up north, though. Also, some varieties do better than others in warmer climates. The Dallas Arboretum has done hosta plant trials and has recommended varieties. They grow in the ground, in raised beds. Tony Avent of Plants Delight nursery has a recommended list for warmer climates.

There are a few folks who live in zone 8 and 9 who will be happy to help. They may never look at this thread, though. Just post the same message with a more appropriate subject. Go to the main page of the hosta forum. At the top of the white part is a link that is titled "post a message". Just click there and repost your question.

bkay

• imagooch zone 6b/7a Chatham ON
    8 years ago

Hosta choice has a huge collection

• Babka NorCal 9b
    8 years ago

Holy cow, did Rob move to Canada? That list (Hostas Choice) is larger than I ever saw at Mary Chastain's old website ,"Lakeside Acres". I don't do Facebook so I don't know what Rob is offering these days.

Start a new post if you are looking for Lakeside registered hostas to get more current info.

-Babka

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company