Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnywood_gw

Spring is almost here!

sunnywood4bChazyNY
10 years ago

WOW !! Spring is really on the way . 55 degrees here in the Denver area and my first Crocus is booming on Feb. 27th.

Comments (38)

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Yeah,I have a couple of Crocus up also,and Daffodils,but they always show up early. It was 19 this morning,and is supposed to be near the same tomorrow morning,and that nasty northwest wind,tells me that winter is hardly over yet! Phil

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

6 degrees last night, 7 degrees tonight, into the teens for a few nights then back into single digits on Tuesday and Wednesday. Spring?...MY FOOT!

I have seen a few very small crocus/daffodil shoots brave enough to start to push....when there is no snow cover so they can be seen.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I can not see anything, still 1 ft of snow. Though voles might run around under the snow eating those first shoots of hostas. I live north of Albany NY, zone 5. But there will be spring!

You know that spring will be here soon when Home Depot stocks the shelves with garden stuff. I spent over $100 on fertilizers and other chemicals and got $10 off. So I will be ready.

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 19:19

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sure my place on Lake Champlain is buried in snow and very cold. Hope things start to warm up soon. Here in Colorado spring is thinking about it, even though we are at 5000 feet. Berned, were are you north of Albany?

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

Spring? Not here in Missouri. 6 inches of snow expected this weekend followed by below zero temps.

Bah humbug. It's not even funny any more.

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Spring?? It's -12 here right now. Tonight's low is sposed to be -18 with a couple of inches of snow forecast for tomorrow. Maybe get above freezing next Thursday.

What a winter!

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Spring is almost here? Yeah, right. NYC is expecting a big storm starting Sunday night and extending through most of Monday, 6-12" of snow. JUST what I wanted! Not.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Our local meteorologist is saying he's not going to mention any numbers for Monday's storm until Sat at earliest, but thinks it will be less than 6". The thing is, low is supposed to be -3 tomorrow morning with wind chill -20 (DH said he heard -29). I haven't even started my pepper seeds yet, and tomatoes should be started in the next couple of weeks, but it's hard to think of starting seeds when high is in the 20's (or maybe hits freezing) and there's 2ft of snow on the ground (6ft where DH aimed the snowblower each time he cleared the driveway)!

• hostanista
    10 years ago

how I feel.......

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Today was a blessed day. We had a frost overnight, so I had covered the fragrants with sheets (didn't get to the store to get row cover). The sun was shining. The breeze was cool. The daffodils are blooming. Spring is here! It was a blessed day.

bk
    Red Bud
    {{gwi:936965}}
    Hyacinth after 20 years in Texas
    {{gwi:936966}}
    Ornamental Pear
    {{gwi:936967}}
    Narcissus
    {{gwi:936968}}
    Flowering Quince
    {{gwi:936970}}
    Daffodils
    {{gwi:936971}}

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry. I didn't mean to stir up so much emotion. I just needed to share a little joy. OOPS!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Spring in Texas is a blessed event, bkay. Unfortunately, its getting to be more like the blessed event hostanista depicted around here as, like bernd, I haven't seen ground since December...early December.

tj

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Thanks bk for giving us some hope that this stinking cold, snow blowing seemingly endless winter will end.........eventually.

Jon

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

That just about sums it up, hostanista! Lol. -23 here today...frigid, blahhhhhh.
    Sunnywood, that little crocus sure is pretty...look at all them buds to follow...probably open now, right?

Bkay, those shots are a thing of beauty...can you smell the daffys and narci's? That redbud and those flowering trees are sooooo gloriously radiant! Bless you for sharing your blessed event. :-)

• hosta-see
    10 years ago

Does this look like Spring to you! I don't think so! I'm so tired of this white stuff, recieved two more inches yesterday and I'm so ready to see some green!!! I'm not afraid to say that Vanessa's picture portrays my attitude I'm tired of it! SO THINK SPRING!!!
    Gary

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

bk, Spring has come to you. When the purple trees (red bud) bloom here in Jax I know spring has come finally. I keep looking for them. Maybe this week. No spring here yet in Florida. Paula

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Well, I spoke too soon. It's supposeed to be 19 f tomorrow morning. There's a light coating of frozen rain on the deck and on the grass. It's 28 f at my house right now. It was 83 yesterday. That's Texas weather for you.

My fragrants are all in the garden shed covered with blankets. I hope it's enough.

bk

• miketropic
    10 years ago

its raining ice right now..not my idea of spring

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Bkay, I'm right there with you! Today, we had 70 degrees, it was absolutely beautiful. Tomorrow night 17 degrees---uhhh, what? Definitely unseasonably cold for us. However, that is not the norm for us right now (neither is 70 degrees for that matter), but somewhere in between is typical right now. Looks like mid 40s for the rest of the week here, then 60s this weekend--whoo-hoo! Come on, Spring!

I know the northeast is getting hit--again--this week. I'm really starting to feel sorry for you guys. Worst year that I can remember is a long time for the northeast. Thank God for North Carolina weather, is all I have to say.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Last week was nice, though. I had to go to East Texas for a funeral yesterday. I stopped by my grandparent's homeplace and photograhed (with my phone, unfortunately) all the daffodils blooming. The foundation piers, the steps and the cystern are all that survive of it after it was stuck by lightening in the 80's. The daffodils were beautiful. The beautiful double daffodils that do so well there and so poorly here were putting up buds. It was warm and the sun was shining. I would hope the sun shines the day they bury me. It was another blessed day.

Today was not that blessed, however.

bk

• User
    10 years ago

Aw Sunny, I'm glad you broke the winter spell, because I went looking for any pips on the hosta. You betcha, I found a few.
    Athena, Aphrodite, Old Faithful, Derriere, and....about 2 more but cannot recall.... Tomorrow I take a couple of pictures.

I set their pots up straight and made sure they were beneath cover of nearby shrubs in case it dips down again.

Only a hostaholic could wax eloquent over some tiny buds poking noses out of a dirty pot! :)

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

For me it is all hype about that winter storm Titan. We here in upstate NY had no snow or ice the last days and none in the forecast for 10 days, though there is several inches of snow still everywhere. Tonight's forecast is -5 dgrs.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh good grief, -5? Has there ever been a year without a spring?

Well, we are lucky to have 66 and drizzling rain this morning. I was planning to take pictures of my fresh new pips, but this looks to be an all day event. Cannot complain though. I moved all my tender potted plants back to the garden from the Teahouse shelter, and they really need the gentle rain. The grass is a tender lush green, which spells spring better than anything I know.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

When will this cold weather end?!!!. It's -16 this AM and even the long range forecast (3/12) calls for the high temp. of 2*F and the low -19*F.

Oh well back to hibernation.
    Photo taken a couple of years ago - not so much snow this winter.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

A balmy 5 degrees here John.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

This was Saturday in East Texas, I swear I saw this and spring really will come. Those daffs are mush now from the cold, but the next round of blooms was ready to come out with the next warm spell.

Although our cold is not as bad as those of you in the great frozen north, it's been a cold year and it just keeps on and on. But then, Easter is late this year.

bk

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Spring begins in 2 weeks, look at the calendar :

MARCH 20 - SPRING BEGINS.

And on April Fools Day all snow is always gone here in zone 5.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

I'm jealous of the daffs now, but spring will get here someday, and I can wait. A couple years ago spring actually did arrive in early March; the plants were "off" all year, summer was hot and dry, and the day lilies hardly bloomed at all. I'll be happy when we get the occasional 40-50 degree day so I can start spring gardening chores, though. Single digit highs in March is ridiculous.

• User
    10 years ago

BK, that picture of daffs is heart lifting! Wow! Around here, the Japanese magnolias are opening big saucer blooms, the grass is green, some of my hosta are pipping (mostly fragrant varieties), and still.....we had a 34 degree low last night.

MadPlanter, I sympathize with you about single digit HIGHS in March? That is agonizing when spring is just around the corner.
    Good luck to all. Maybe today I can get pictures of the pippers in their pots, which I turn up on signs of life.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Ok here it is: The NEWS we have been waiting for! I live in Florida also called the First Coast. Spring has come today. It is overcast and icky outside but the Purple Trees are in bloom. That is my sign that it will be ok now. Oh I still may get a slight frost but hot damn IT IS SPRING. I am sending it your way. Hostas have been piping but I keep asking them to wait a couple of weeks. It has not been working. Paula

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I am happy for you all! The daffodil picture is definitely welcome - so cheerful! Once us northerners see pips, look out! Non-stop celebration!!!

I'm going to the greenhouse tomorrow and bring home something to grow!!

:-)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Tulips and dayliles are coming up, also some sun perennials are awake and growing. Iris up about 6 inches. Some trees are getting ready for their buds to pop, but no hostas yet. That's OK, recalling the plant damage from all the late frosts last year, I can wait. Better that they come up in a month more safely.

Wow, aren't I the patient one? Hosta zen. Ohmmmmm...

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 14:35

• gardenapprentice
    10 years ago

Does this count as spring? Lol sorry northerners your spring will come in a few weeks at least

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

gardenapprentice,

We have had 2 days in a row of above freezing temperature...I guess Spring isn't far behind. I couldn't believe it when I heard on the news it was daylight saving and time to put the clocks ahead an hour.

Possible big storm coming Wednesday / Thursday. Holy Carp!!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

70F and sunny today. I'll take it!

Don B.

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Today I spent an hour weeding the daylily bed and a mosquito was buzzing me. 85 percent of the snow was melted by 2pm and the temperature was in the high 60s. No hosta pips here yet.

Yesterday I was at my brother's near Meridian, MS and the tiny Regal Splendor I had potted up for my SIL was pipping. You can only imagine how happy I was to see that at least one of the hosta I planted last year had survived the winter and was growing!

Kathy

• User
    10 years ago

Meridian MS? Why, ZKathy, your sister is right next door!
    Indeed I can understand how you feel about seeing that pipping pot......soon very soon, in your garden too....hold your breath!

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Yesterday I parked at a lake watching a snow mobile race in the distance, also waiting to see when trucks would break thru the ice, but none did though water collected in their paths. I was happy seeing bare ground occasionally driving by. Now we have a forecast that 9+ inches of snow are possible on Wednesday. But then, in the past we had snow storms in May, and the last freeze date was end of May.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES