Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We all love our hostas but ....

Posted by timhensley 5VT (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 16:56

As many of us have collecting for many years you reach a point when you want to expand your horizons. Last year I added some arisaemas, Asian may apples, species peonies, pitcher plants and a number of ferns. I plan on adding more variegated forms of Solomon's Seal, hellebores and some more arisaemas. If the arisaemas make it through this winter I may have found something else to get hooked on. Which I tell my wife it's safer than drugs or gambling and it makes the hostas look more interesting. She just looks at me like I am crazy.

I said all of that to simply ask "What are you planning to put in that is not a hosta?". This is a pic of my haul from Cady's Falls Nursery. My wife took me there for Fathers Day. Boy did she have to twist my arm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We all love our hostas but ....

I always look for interesting begonias to mix in with my garden...last year was good because there was some problem with impatiens so more nurseries stocked more varieties of begonia. I like the color they provide, and they require almost nothing to look good all season. No more perennials for me- totally out of space.

o

I purchased several ferns last fall to compliment the hostas. Since I mostly grow out of pots, I tried to select some that suit containers and don't wither and die if they are dry for a day or so. I can't remember all the varieties, but I did pick up several Japanese painted ferns, some autumn ferns, tassel ferns and maidenhair ferns.
For the annuals in hanging baskets, I tried both begonias and impatiens. The former fared the best overall, so that's the way I'll go again this coming year.
BC

This post was edited by BChosta on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 19:07

o

There was a thread last year about companion plants. Mainly I was left with, "Holy cow! After I get all my hostas in I'll still need to spend thousands of dollars on plants to go with them!"
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion plant thread

o

I have three Japanese maples,and there are already native ferns, Trlliums,and some Autumn Ferns which I planted. I could plant all kinds of flowers but my garden is in the woods,and flowers do not grow there. Phil

o

I'm all about hellebores these days, to go with the hostas. Beside they are green in the winter. I just bought a "Merlin", dark, nearly black flowers, upward facing....there is a gorgeous wine red one blooming in the garden today, don't remember the variety and it's too dark and cold now to go look.

And ferns, trilliums, wild gingers, and just about any spring wildflower I can plant in the woods garden, as well as heucheras, pulmonarias, lilies, et al. Did I mention I am just a plant freak in general?

Sandy

o

I will continue to add to my cacti and daylilies. I have also put together a large collection of Rex Begonia, Gingers and Orchids. I also have a box of about 100 caladium bulbs ready to pot. Photo Euphoriba Milli in bloom yesterday in the green house.

o

Wow that euphoria has a nosegay of blooms. They came a long way from plain e. Splendens. I like bromeliads which are more cold tolerant than I imagined. And ground orchids, my nuns orchids are sending up scapes all dry inside the Teahouse.

My other plants are giant liriope, naturalized fern, striped and plain aspidistra, holly fern, some hydrangea, elephant ears and palms and camellias to make shade.

o

I don't do annuals in my garden unless they self sow so I rely on perennials, being a recent hostaholic I am having to place the hosta among the plants already in the garden as well as creating new beds which is reducing the size of the lawn thankfully, this is going to be an exciting year for me. These are some of the plants in my garden, I have a fondness for Primulas which grow really well in this climate.

Ligularia Przwalskii this survives the slugs better than any other ligularia I have grown.
ligularia przewalskii photo 009-1.jpg

Meadowsweet or Filipendula ulmaria which is native here. Smells really nice.
meadowsweet photo 016.jpg

Primula florindae, they have a wonderful cinnamon scent.
 photo 021.jpg

Some candelabra primulas, not sure of the names of these guys.
candelabra primulas photo primula1.jpg

candelabra primulas photo 011.jpg

A wide shot of what I call the bog garden, in June, I have Summer Beeeze and Alex Summer in here but I doubt you'd find them in the pic.
bog garden in june photo rsz_2013.jpg

o

Conifers, Japanese Maples, Pulminaria, Astilbe, Daylilies...
So many plants, so little space.

photo hback.jpg

tj

o

I love day lilies as much as hostas, just have more shade than sun. The new sun bed will be getting whatever catches my eye at the spring plant sale and/or trip to the local day lily farm.

I was pleased with the tiny celandine poppies I put in last year and am hoping for even better things as they grow up and self seed.

This year some of the native wild ginger (which wants to take over the world) is going out and slower growing European wild ginger is going in.

And I'm always on the look out for a new and interesting fern or huechera.

o

Madplanter-Watch out for the celandine poppies. They got started in my garden and are attempting to take over.

Mountainy_man. Love the primulas. Wish I had more of them.

Ilovetigrow - that euphorbia is a knockout.

Taiga junkie- beautiful garden shot.

BC and Coll - love begonias too and so do my giant pet slugs.

Mosswitch- you found like my kind of gal.

Phil - I wish I had yor shade. I struggle for evey little bit I can get.

Mocc - I really enjoy hydrangeas. I hate that I cannot overwinter most of the macrphyllas in my zone 5 garden and get flowers. They always get killed down to the ground. Growing up in the south my grandmother and her sisters always had lots of hydrangeas. They bring back such fond memories.

Zkathy- thanks for sharing the link.

Thanks everyone and here's to warmer weather and glorious hostas!

Thinking of spring, Tim

o

I also have 55 different varieties of Asiatic/Oriental Lilies, and 11 varieties of Weigelas....and over the last couple of years I seem to add a Magnolia tree every year, my wife likes them. Apart from the 73 new hostas, whatever else goes in this year is a mystery.

o

Mikgag- my wife used to grow Asiatic lilies but the little red beetles ate them up. For a few years we sprayed constantly to keep them under control. Are you having any issues with them. If so, what are you doing to control them? My wife adores them and I would like to start more at some time.

o

For me the only perennial that exists are Hostas but I do love to add to my gardens with trees and shrubs. When I bought the property there was nothing but VERY large pine trees.

This north bed begins with an Umbrella Catalpa tree,
North Bed photo DSCF8827.jpg

then goes onto a Bloodgood Japanese tree, Weeping Crabapple, Soulangia Magnolia,
 photo DSCF7083.jpg

In my large fence bed (280 feet long) I start off with a Daybreak Magnolia
 photo DSCF8355.jpg

This is the flower from the Daybreak Magnolia (fragrant to boot!)
 photo DSCF7108.jpg

Then I have a Tri-Color Beach Tree
Guacamole photo z6.jpg

Then a couple Everygreen Somethings, a Crimson Queen Maple, a Birtch tree,
Birtch grouping photo z5.jpg

then I have more shrubs - like a Holly, Purple Smokebush, Diablo Ninebark, Vaiegated Dogwood, etc and a Randy Magnolia (just cuz that's the name of my DH)
Randy Magnolia 2013 #5 photo DSCF8357.jpg

Then more shrubs. Then a Leonard Messel Magnolia.
Leonard Messel 2103 #4 photo DSCF8358.jpg

The only planting I love to do as much as hostas is magnolias, but I need more room for them and they are harder to find.

o

The flower on your Daybreak magnolia is stunning.

o

First off, I want all of leaflover76s trees. I don't dare spend to much on new trees and shrubs because the deer and rabbits kill them in the winter.

My gardening has pretty much gone full circle. What started out many years ago as a large vegetable garden merged to half flowers when we no longer used all the veggies. Over the years I let the woods grow up around the garden area to the point where there isn't enough sun for vegetables or most flowers, hence the hostas.
I still try to keep some perennials and shrubs to attract butterflies and birds. In the sunniest spots I plant annuals that make decent cut flowers. They grow sparse and spindly but we still manage to get a few bouquets throughout the year.

bouquet 1 photo bouquet.jpg

bouquet 2 photo bouquet2.jpg

o

I got this thorny, bushy, flowery thing, whatever it is.

Don B.

o

I have lots of likes, and lots of loves, I tend to lean more towards sun than shade, actually (shhhhh, don't tell anyone on the hosta forum that!). Probably could have figured that out on your own from my username, right? :)

Here are a few of my pics from last year:

Veronica Vernique White & Dark Blue Lobelia

I have quite a few clematis:
Clem

Lavendar does well for me, despite being under all the wrong conditions, LOL:
17456b

Several different varieties of coreopsis, here's one (Cosmic Eye):
Summer Wine & Cosmic Eye

Got into Heleniums for the first time last year:
IMG_1617

But my all-time two fav perennials have to be Echinacea:
Echinacea

and Rudbeckia:
IMG_1070

Thanks for letting me share!

o

• Posted by luuk 9b (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 11:35

I grow only Hostas and a few Pelargonium, but I like (as many of you) to photograph the whole nature, ...and I am convinced that even the nature likes being observed.

photo 01_zpscacbe2f4.jpg
 photo 02_zpsfa24c872.jpg
 photo 04_zps63c91e3a.jpg
 photo 09_zps0b45699b.jpg
 photo 12_zps268f433e.jpg
 photo 08_zpscb6e751c.jpg
 photo 07_zps5ecefb39.jpg
 photo 06_zps36241a8a.jpg
 photo 10_zps18aa5b5b.jpg
 photo 11_zps4197af2a.jpg
 photo 05_zpscec125b2.jpg
 photo 03_zps161c8cef.jpg

o

I feel the same way, LUUK...I seem to have several pics that show "visitors" or as I like to refer to them as cohabitants on my plant life.

o

Tiger kitten lily

o

Filipendula

o

Sweet Kate tradescantia

o

Chelone aka turtle's head

o

Crocosmia w bee doing its thing

o

Lollipop lily...I have finally gotten the beetle under control...this past year I only had to squish about half a dozen. I think they are gone but of course I will keep up with the vigilance. Hand-picking is the only way I found successful to reduce their numbers. Three years ago they appeared shortly after I brought this lily home...voracious little buggers but I've got it under control now, thank goodness.

o

Hope echinacea...some proceeds go towards breast cancer research

o

Gold rush leucanthemum plus grasshopper

o

Creeping baby's breath underneath dwarf Korean lilac

o

Hungarian speedwell

o

If you plant your Easter lily, this is what you will enjoy the following year :-)

o

My $5 Rose from Canadian Tire...it's the small one most folks take home as a houseplant, then chuck it once blooms have stopped...a small one that grows tall each year...now in its 8th year...no feeding, no special treatment except for hand picking of cutworms occasionally...blooms nonstop...last year it was still blooming in January!

o

Rosy returns lily

o

Pow wow cherry berry echinacea...a short stubby one but what it lacks in stature it makes up in colour!

o

Amethyst in snow centaurea

o

I had better stop but this last pic my daughter took...last spring...this is part of a collection of pictures she took, then presented me with a calendar of pictures of my garden! She even ordered one picture to be made into a puzzle. Ingenious, huh?

This pic is a tad grainy but that's because I took a pic of the calendar.

o

Spring garden in Colorado.

o

I love all of the flowers that you all have posted ,but we still need to include the hostas with them.

o

I seem to love almost all plants. In addition to over 100 hosta varieties, I have more than 300 daylily varieties, 100+ bearded iris varieties, 30+ peony varieties, nearly 2dz clematis varieties, along with an accompaniment of shrubs and flowering trees, such as redbud, magnolia, halesia, cornus kousa, chionanthus, and several other ornamental type trees. I know several of the peeps on here will also be pleased to note that I seem to be developing quite a conifer addiction as well... In fact, it seems the only 'one and only' that I have is my DH!

o

I have really enjoyed all of these garden photos. You all have beautiful gardens! Thanks for sharing. Lesley

o

Gorgeous pics, Sunnywood...that is a huge and lovely orienpet lily you have there! Lovely gardens, all.

Gardens1...gotta love your last line!

Lesley...join in the fun...got any pics to share? :-)

o

I have only one area where daylilies do well in my garden, and strangely it's on the north side of my house. I'm thinking about removing the others, that are in the middle of the yard, and replacing them with, well, hostas of course!

Very pretty pics, everyone!

photo razzmatazzbed_zps34dd10e5.jpg

o

I have many ferns, and coral bells.

o

Dozens of clematis and roses.

o

An unhealthy obcession with daylily

o

And hardy succulants.

o

Hydrangea

o

The Portulaca was not happy last year, too much rain. In a dry year the portulaca bed is solid color as long as the sun shines on it.
Kathy

o

Love portulaca. My Aunt Florence use to grow it by the bucket. Literally, she used old buckets, pans, etc to grow all of her portulaca. It was always beautiful. She always had a yard full of flowers.

o

Great pictures, everybody, loved luuk's.

Thanks for the warning about celendine poppies, Tim. They're in a big area that has nothing but hostas and a few huechera, so they can spread wherever they like. The bed is only two years old and pretty sparse, figure the hostas will either win or I'll pull out poppies.

One of the reasons I love day lilies and lilies is because they attract tiny frogs. Wish I had a handy small version of my favorite shot. I like this one, too - just not as much.

o

Here is a pic from last April,showing one of my bloodgood Japanese maples,looking back into the garden. Tim,I wish I had more open areas to grow flowers,but when you live in the woods,that not an option. I do wish Japanese maples would grow faster,but to get one very large,you'd have to take out a loan! Phil

photo DSC_0020a_zps53a5c5f8.jpg

o

A pic I've used several times on the forum, but the pic fits this topic, so here it is once again...

I have some ferns, a few heucheras, various lamium, some Asiatic lillies, and creeping jenny located among the hostas. I generally add at least a few varieties of shade perennial after exploring around town at the local garden centers. Planning to add some wild ginger this spring, thanks to Jerry/old_dirt's suggestion.

Probably most of you know this, but if you don't, let me say that Asiatic lilies grow and bloom very well in partial shade. At least in my experience.

Don B.

o

Tulip bed I put in last winter on a whim, looks OK.

Don B.

o

Don B.
Just a quick note...Make sure you get the "European" wild ginger. From what I understand common ginger can become quite invasive.
 photo DSCN0533-1.jpg

o

Gorgeous pics, All! I just keep opening this thread and keep admiring...on my 5th run...anyone else have this one saved?

Don...I found out last summer that Belamcanda lily (in this case, the orange with speckles little lily) was very happy on the north/west side of the house...who knew it needed so little sunlight to bloom? I sure didn't.
Learn something every day...

Unbidden...your clematis are amazing! How tall do they climb? Mine are against a 6-ft. Fence and when they get that high, the vine manages to come back down...not that I mind as it gets fuller-looking. :-)

Jo

This post was edited by josephines67 on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 21:04

o

Tsugajunkie...my first glimpse at your garden...very lovely and peaceful looking...thanks for sharing.

This post was edited by josephines67 on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 21:08

o

I have 42 varieties of clematis...

o

OK, I'll play.

Pulmonaria Treve Fountain
Trevi Fountain photo DSC01943_zps50328bde.jpg

Hellebore Golden Showers
H. Golden Showers photo IMG_0854_zps2e0f26a5.jpg

Peony "Singing In the Rain"
Singing in the Rain photo singingintherain_zps53fdf059.jpg

Clematis montana Mayleen
C montana Mayleen photo IMG_0995_zps55cd2b9e.jpg

Azalea with variegated Iris
 photo IMG_0983_zpsfd940f04.jpg

Syringa "Albert F Holden"
S. Albert F Holden photo DSC01965_zps1cb76abc.jpg

Peach Blossoms
Peach Blossom photo DSC01950_zps280161e8.jpg

Narcissus Thalia with Pink Impressions Tulip
Thalia and Pink Impressions photo DSC01945_zps7d95d256.jpg

Malus Candy Cane
Malus Candy Cane photo DSC01944_zps4d2d1267.jpg

more later

Steve

o

Some never get really large

o

I choose this one because it was large. Prince Charles is Huge. I cut it down mid summer and it grows back to bloom again in fall. Not all of mine grow big, some barely top the fence.

o

@ josephines67 & timhensley- Thank you both.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: An old thread

o

Thanks, Jerry. European wild ginger it is.

Don B.

o

Currently, hosta are my primary interest. At one time it was azaleas and rhododendrons. Then roses, clematis and iris. And perennials! I also love small ornamental trees. My four hosta beds are anchored by a Kwansan Cherry, American Dogwood, Kousa Dogwood/Red Bud and a Bloodgood Japanese Maple. I like to grow everything and each year something new is added.

Azaleas beneath Kwansan Cherry which later became hosta bed in bottom photo

photo Azaleas-adjusted.jpg

Rose with Clematis
 photo WesterlandWithBetty.jpg

Kousa Dogwood, Red Bud, Japanese Forrest Grass and Hosta
 photo DSC_0046_zps109af7a3.jpg

Hosta with azaleas, ferns and Crested Iris
 photo DSC_0049_zps946f9a8e.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here