Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Thoughts on Whirlwind?

gardenfanatic2003
14 years ago

I noticed Whirlwind on a dud list. Is that the general consensus?

Deanna

Comments (34)

• paul_in_mn
    14 years ago

Some have had trouble growing. Planted mine in 07 and has grown bigger and better for me each year.

Here's a pic from a June Garden tour last year(zone 4). All their hosta were gorgeous.

And a leaf from my garden-
    {{gwi:937321}}

Paul

• dansgrdn
    14 years ago

I've noticed it on some people's dud list as well. It has performed well for me and I'd probably call it vigorous in my garden. Here's a couple of photos from this past Spring.

Dan

• Babka NorCal 9b
    14 years ago

Mine goes mostly dark green toward the end of the summer, but it is a beautiful very dark, dark green.

-Babka

• jennaj_z4mn
    14 years ago

Mine is beautiful too--definitely not a dud for me!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

It's so beautiful, it is worth a try just in case. I am putting it on my list for sure. Thanks for the pics.

• loisflan
    14 years ago

Mine is very slow growing, but I wouldn't be without it.

• hostahillbilly
    14 years ago

Certainly not 'vigorous' here, but it's so beautiful that I couldn't imagine being without it.

It certainly qualifies for the 10 yard rule, as it is distinct enough to not be confused with any other Hosta.

hh

• gardencool
    9 years ago

A dud! Are you kidding me? That is a spectacular hosta.
    At the top of my list with June, Paul's Glory, and Aztec Treasure. Mine is next to Aztec Treasure which contrasts spectacularly.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I agree, hardly a dud here as well and share Hostahillbilly's viewpoint about it being distinct enough you can't mistake it for anything else - thank goodness for small mercies!

I love mine - it is still unfurling. These are some lovely mature ones. They get more beautiful with size, don't they?

• brucebanyaihsta
    9 years ago

There have been many hosta said to be duds when they are commercialized into millions of plants and thus propagation quality control becomes a serious problem.

It is a vigorous grower when it comes from good stock.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I thought it may be a bit slow but noticed it was purchased in 2012 so not as bad as I thought and it sure makes a statement in the garden and well worth the purchase.

This post was edited by almosthooked on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 22:46

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

Hey, garden fool,

Would love to see a pic of your Aztec Treasure next to Whirlwind. I agree with everyone here: Whirlwind is one of the keepers. But needs some sun to maintain the white center.

Steve

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

I really like Whirlwind and have planted it in several gardens. The only others that I have planted in different gardens are Blue Angel, June and Squash Casserole.
    I like the way Whirlwind adds a sense of motion to the garden. It has been an easy, fast grower for me wherever I have put it. I get a lot of customer requests for Whirlwind after visitors see it growing.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Low maintenance, even for a hosta. Not a bad variety, in my opinion. Bought mine last year, still pretty small.

Don B.

9 years ago

I'm there with you, Don. Got mine in 2011 and it's not much bigger than yours, but I like very much! :-). The substance is much like Revolution but there is no comparison when it comes to growth. If you don't have it, you should try it!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

I know this thread is 4 1/2 years old, but really, what is not to like.

...and during its "green" season...

tj

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 20:58

• coll_123
    9 years ago

I am surprised this one would make a dud list. Mine has been an average to above average grower,

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Whirlwind is a great one. Doesn't seem slow at all.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

My h.'Whirlwind' is not a dud at all. Mine only gets early morning sun and a little in late afternoon, and keeps it light center color until late summer. It forms a tight and wide clump.

• Tammy Owens
    9 years ago

My whirlwind is on the darker side this year, but I still love it

• gardencool
    9 years ago

Here is my Whirlwind contrasting with Aztec Treasure. I absolutely love the contrast.
    At least I think it's a Whirlwind. I've spent a year trying to ID it and have settled for Whirlwind. I got my Whirlwind from a landscaper's dump pile (been thinking about starting a hosta rescue service - some people actually throw hostas out!!!).
    So please, if anyone thinks this is not Whirlwind, let me know.

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

Beautiful combo, gardenfool. Yes, that's Whirlwind. And your Aztec Treasure reminds me of Abiqua Recluse.

Steve

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

I think second wind is a sport. I almost like it better.

I have several whirlwind; less of a problem with them than GE. W will 'pop' if you plant it next to a blue or a gold or chartreuse, as referenced above. I put mine next to potomac pride for further contrast.

dave

9 years ago

Dave, your comment got me searching my pics looking for something I remembered...your comment jarred my memory.

It isn't whirlwind, sorry, but the "pop" can't be ignored - thanks for the reminder, Dave! :-)

Here is an amazing colour in Arctic Blast when surrounded by chartreuse
    and green and yellow. Never would have thought of this....I was just moving hostas around as I watered. Now I have to play around with my Whirlwind to achieve a "pop".

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

Wow! Now how can I buy Whirlwind without an Arctic Blast and some yellows?

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

I think this is my Whirlwind. It probably got stepped on early because it looks a little rough this year!

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I like Whirlwind alot. It has been a fast grower for me. This was last year, and it is so big now that I may have to move or divide. Darkening center just makes it interesting.

• gardencool
    9 years ago

Thank you all on this thread for helping me ID my Whirlwind. Maybe only fellow hosta people know how great it is to be able to identify mystery hostas. But then most people can't name their hostas when I ask what it is! And I'm always asking.
    Anyone care to take a crack at IDing this one ( at least lead me in the right direction):

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Gardenfool, you should probably start a new thread for a new ID, but I think this one may be Gold Standard.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I agree, I think it's Gold Standard.

Don B.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Definitely Gold Standard.

Kate

• gardencool
    9 years ago

You guys are good! I have another Gold Standard I bought from Costco in a box of 6 roots(don't ever ever do that) 3 growing seasons ago and still being small and with different light looks similar, but not the same. Thank you for the help.
    Would opening a new thread called 'ID this Hosta' be opening a can of worms?

• brandys_garden
    9 years ago

I have Whirlwind Tour... It's OK. It's no my favorite but I don't hate it. She's kinda pretty. She is blooming right now, too.

• gardencool
    9 years ago

Wow, Brandy. That's a lot of green! Is it getting too much sun?
    I am certainly no hosta expert but I do know bloom time can help ID a hosta. From what I have read Whirlwind should bloom mid to late summer. Mine shows no signs whatsoever of bloom on July 7. For yours to be blooming 4 days into the start of summer - wow. Does your location in zone 6 make that big of difference in bloom times from my zone 5?
    Or does growing it in a pot speed up the growing seasonal aspect?

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler