Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

Moved to TN from Northern IL

ryseryse_2004
9 years ago

I had to leave my acres of hostas (and all my other perennials) behind since the ground was frozen and covered with several feet of snow. Since our house was on the market since last Feb., we really didn't expect it to sell until spring. Oh well. Now I get to start over.

First, I would love some personal experience with hosta-growing in SW Tennessee. I have lots of shade from Oaks and Pines. I think to get started I will order the 'Handful of Hostas' (100 for $100 - unnamed varieties). I did this 20 years ago to get the gardens started and was never disappointed. I can always buy my favorite varieties once I get a perimeter planted.

Ideas and tips on growing in Z7 will certainly be appreciated. I can't wait to get started.

Comments (5)

• timhensley
    9 years ago

Plenty of shade. Wonderful luck with the oaks trees. I'm from Jackson, TN and I grew lots of hostas while there. I wouldn't plant under the pine trees. The root competition is stiff. A lot less snails and slugs but the summer heat and humidity can be brutal. The summers can be very dry so be prepared to water. Enjoy your new beginning.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Bummer you had to leave all your "babies" behind, RyseRyse. For your new home, Lakesides do well in the hotter climes.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Can't believe you're leaving them!!! I would have written in a clause in the contract saying that you could come back and get them in the spring. I can't imagine leaving mine! You are a courageous person.

I am in the process of doing the exact same thing, but I'm staying in mostly the same zone. Moving from NC to southern VA. We've thought all along that our house wouldn't sell until spring, but I dug up all the hostas anyway last fall and went ahead and moved them. Having a dual household for a while helped us, though. Even so, we moved them all in a weekend (400-500 hostas, can't remember which). 1/3 are in the ground, 2/3 still in pots. It's going to be an interesting spring!

I would suggest the plantaginea family of hostas to you. You can't go wrong with hostas like Guacamole and all the relatives and they are very heat tolerant.

Do you know what kind of soil you have yet?

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moving in Jan. was a huge hassle especially because we had to bring along 5 outdoor cats (each in separate cages) and two large Labs. We pulled our fifth wheel with the cats in that. We had a large moving semi that brought our belongings but everything wouldn't fit. We had to leave behind lots of furniture to make room for our ATV. So, there just wouldn't have been room for lots of perennials anyway.

I don't know about this soil. Looks very clayey and there are lots of bare places with nothing growing. It would seem with all the oak leaves it would be healthy, but sure doesn't look that way. I'll probably have to do lots of amending. I already have a compost heap started for kitchen scraps. (My compost at home is something I would have really loved to bring along.)

BTW, we are almost 11 hours away from our former home so going back for stuff isn't going to happen even though the new owners would gladly let me dig stuff up.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

I remember your move from another post you made. I'm glad to hear you got ahold of all your outdoor cats, which I know you were worried about. Give them time to get used to their new surroundings before you let them out again so they stick around. I hope you will love your new place and have a lot of happiness there.

Were you able to collect seeds in the fall? If it was sooner than you thought, you might not have had time to get any cuttings or divisions.

It's hard to leave garden successes behind, but you also get to leave any gardening failures behind, too. I don't want to leave my current gardens yet, but if I ever do, I won't miss some of the mistakes I've made. (IVY!) So maybe thinking of your old gardens like that will help you get excited about starting your new ones. Good luck!