Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

What's the deal with photobucket?

bkay2000
11 years ago

Photobucket has always worked for me. Now, it's not working. I can't get my uploaded photos to stay there. What's everyone else using?

bk

Comments (16)

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Still using Photobucket here,and it still works,or at least the last time I used it,it did. Phil

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Working fine for me. Have you migrated to the new version?

Steve

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, unfortunately. It is so slow to load, I can't find anything. My upload speeds are decent, but my download speeds are pretty good. I should be able to get to my photos, but now that they are all on one page, I have to page through everything. I used to be able to skip pages and find what I was looking for. Not anymore.

In addition to not being able to find photos that were already there, I spent 15 minutes trying to upload 3 photos. I saw about 6 commercials, but only one of the photos stayed there. One was on my new "home" page, but never showed up in my "library". It's bizarre.

Then there is no viable help feature. I'm ready to try another service.

bk

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    11 years ago

I uploaded some pictures from My Pictures yesterday. Should have been simple, except they did not automatically land at the beginning of the Library in Photobucket. The most recent upload used to be the first picture I saw when I entered Photobucket. In the new version, its in the middle of the pack. Following a lengthly search, I didn't have time to figure out under what criterion it was placed.

Unfortunately, the geeks who develop software always assume we spend as much time using it as they do. Someone who uses the product once a month (like me) will suffer appreciably every time they "improve" the software.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Bkay,

I'm not having the problems you are. Do you have all your photos in one folder or have you organized them into different ones?

Harry, The shortcut to do what you want is under the "More" button, not the "Upload" one. I know it's bad design. Under the More pulldown menu you can "Upload to this Album". That puts the photos where you currently are.

No one likes change except a wet baby.

Steve

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Photobucket rolled out this new version before everything is in place. Sorting and searching my photos that will eventually be available like they were on the old, but are a pain right now. If you've ever been involved in a software update where they introduced a change before it was ready to implement....it feels a lot like this....arghhhhhh.

Here's a link to their supposed updates coming.....

Paul

Here's a screen print of where to click to find recent pics-

Here is a link that might be useful: We are listening. Here's whats coming...

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

Bkay,you can switch back to the old system,if you like. I did,when they first changed to the new system. Phil

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Paul,

Here's what my screen looks like.
    {{gwi:937937}}

Notice to the left of the photos is a folder "tree" in which all the pics have been organized into different folders. When you click on Library you will see this as well. I know that there's a bit of a learning curve with the new Photobucket, but once you get used to it you'll see it's much better. The part I like best is that all your photos in one album are on one page. All you have to do is scroll to the bottom and they keep appearing.

Steve

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had them all in one folder. I knew just about where they were.

OH, well, nothing stays the same forever.

bk

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I have all my pictures in folders - on my computer, have all pictures also backed up on a memory stick and a separate hard drive. The pictures I had on Photobucket got lost there a year ago. So I love now that I can upload any picture directly from my computer to the Garden Web and also the Hosta Seed Growers Forum. I am set without Photobucket!
    Bernd

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, I have them in folders on my computer and I have them backed up. I had very little there except hosta photos. It's was just easy to post from photobucket. I just deleted most everything from photobucket. I couldn't find it anyway. If I move them to folders so that I can find them, then they still disappear from old posts.

It seems that many websites are doing similar things. Several sites are really screwed up. Just look at an old post on Gardenweb. It doesn't stay in their new lines. I assume all of these messed up sites have something to do with the phone and tablet craze.

Whatever...................

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 13:38

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

bkay - I know its frustrating, but PB will eventually get it straightened away, have patience. Remember when you delete photos, they are getting deleted from the threads(old posts) as well, so keep that in mind.

Paul

• User
    11 years ago

Had not thought about what happens to the older posts with photos that were "reorganized" by Photobucket, or any other similar album service.

It is really frustrating when they disappear en masse that way.
    I did not delete my Photobucket photos, but I stopped using the service. I like the way Flickr lets me add tags and can easily retrieve a particular tag when I want it.

I use Corel PaintShop Pro XI4 to edit my pictures, and I add tags there as well. I then switch over to Irfanview to batch rename them to my personal system. My pictures of hosta are named Hosta13Mar001+ etc etc etc......where 13 is the year, then the month (Mar), and then the sequence which goes into the 3 digits each month.

I read on a thread here that someone organizes their photos by the name of the hosta.....such as Elegans, Lederhosen, etc, but I take so many shots of multiple plants that I try to identify, that I might as well just tag them all and do the "search" of my year's worth of hosta, including subfolders by month. It always turns them up.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Mocc,

Nothing changes unless the user deletes their photo or moves it to another folder. PB just did an update. They didn't move anyone's cheese.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Who Moved My Cheese?

This post was edited by steve_mass on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 15:29

• User
    11 years ago

Oh Steve, I mis-stated myself here. I was talking about the pictures disappearing from the GWeb posts, when the album owner deletes the shots, like when FranknJim vanished.

Some of the posted photos also disappeared on GWeb when the album owner relocated the shots into different albums, have no idea how that happened.

As for changing things, I'm the first to absorb a change or else move on. My DH thinks I move things around as a pastime when no need exists. That allegory of Who Moved My Cheese? is cute....wonder how I missed such a charming title?

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Mocc, that someone was me . . . I organize all my photos by name.

I create a folder directly on my external hard drive with the name of the hosta, then I add two subfolders under it. One for Photos and the other for Data File.

Hehe . . . it goes on . . . under the subfolder Photos I then break it down by year . . . then under year I break it down by month . . . and then you finally are able to see thumbnails of actual picture files.

Each picture file has three components in the name . . . where I acquired it from, date photo was taken, and the name of the hosta in the photo.

To counteract this madness . . . I also keep a separate file folder with ALL pictures regardless of what they are . . . the only organization this folder gets is a subfolder for the year . . . I don't mix years.

One folder serves to act as a catch all . . . the others as more of a database . . . I am not savvy with Microsoft Access so I cannot create a proper database like I would prefer.

But my home grown method works for me . . . I certainly don't expect it to work for anyone else. This is the great thing about all the resources we have nowadays. There are a million different ways to reach the same goal. :)

Ludi

P.S. Make sure to post when Miss Elegans wakes up . . . I know your southern bells should be stirring soon, if not already.