Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostapumpkinman

Hosta Alphabet H

hostapumpkinman
13 years ago

Hey Ken,you have about one of every hosta out there,lets see some pics.

Here is Hakumuo

Hyuga Urajiro

Comments (24)

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Harpoon

Heatwave

High Society

High Tide

Holy Mouse Ears

Paul

• uk-hostaman
    13 years ago

hostapumpkinman..can you tell me name of the hosta i have marked on one of your photos...thanks

• hostapumpkinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

uk-the hosta is Spring Fling.Phil

• mctavish6
    13 years ago

This one is starting to really shine. I seem to have a lot of solid greens which I actually love.

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

Here's my Harpoon,new,planted last July. I am curious to see what it looks like when it returns this year. Phil

{{gwi:938249}}

• mctavish6
    13 years ago

Nice Harpoons Paul and Phil. Mine was in it's second year last year and wasn't as full as yours. Maybe this year.

• luvtosharedivs
    13 years ago

H-p-kinman,
    What a neat 'Hyuga Urajiro'!
    Does it stay small?

Paul,
    What a difference between your 'High Society' and mine.
    I like yours better. Is yours planted in part sun?
    The reason I ask is that mine has light green centers instead of white, but mine is planted in full shade:

Mctavish,
    Thanks for posting your 'Honeybells'.
    My DH acquired a bunch of Hostas for $2/each at the end of season sale at a local Shopko store, and the labels were lost. I had thought mine was Honeybells, by comparing to the pics in the Hosta Library, and it's great to see yours in a place where it can spread to its heart's content. BTW, I have since learned NOT to purchase Hostas from box stores.

I like the "tease" of the variable fine white lines between the middle and outer greens:

Halycon is being overrun by more aggressive Hostas.
    This garden was planted before I knew how big everything would get. Thank-you, Ken, for your lesson on growing your patience...I am learning to space better in my more recent gardens.

Julie

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Julie - I would guess yours is June, see link on High Society pics below. High Society is a June sport.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: HL High Society Pics

• luvtosharedivs
    13 years ago

Paul,
    I looked at my June pics, and both have lighter centers than the pic I posted above. But you could be right. That would mean that the vendor sent me the wrong plant!

I'll watch it closely this year...may have to label it 'Mislabeled':(

Thanks for your response!

Julie

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

At my Home Depots I walk the Hosta aisles for entertainment. They have labels of very nice hostas on common hostas, and those very nice hostas I have never seen there. Possible a supplier sets them up for that fun. Their conifer labels always match. At Lowe's usually the labels make sense.

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

I really liked the 'Heartsong'.

Now your picture of your 'Honeybells' has me baffled. We have one that big or even bigger, about a 12 year old plant. I cannot get it to be any where near as 'erect' as yours. I've watered the living heck to it to no avail. I can just barely get the outer leaves off the ground for maybe half a day.

So it seems water isn't the issue or not the entire issue. (H have similar problems with 'Abba Dabba Do', it will stand tall and proud only with extreme watering).

Now this leads me to wonder about soil and light. All the above mentioned Hostas are in very shady places, leading me to ask you what light level your 'Honeybells' get?

Thanks for the great pics from you and all the others!

hh

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

A foto by my wife when we visited Wade Gardens last Aug:
    {{gwi:938254}}
    hh

• luvtosharedivs
    13 years ago

HH,

You're married to Hakumuo?
    She's a beauty!

My pic of Honeybells above is not as nice as the one Mctavish posted. Hers looks as if it's receiving more sun than mine. I have a couple planted in full/filtered shade, and I would guess that one of mine (that's not pictured) is about 20" tall. I don't fertilize my plants, but I do add a 1" layer of mulch each year.

Julie

• mctavish6
    13 years ago

Julie, Your is Honeybells and it will spread. I have had my Honeybells since 1993. It was one of the first ones I ever got. It came in a bag at the local nursery. It has lived in various spots in my garden. I didn't really care for the look of it at first. At one point it was banished outside the then picket fence at the edge of the driveway. It got too big in spite of me not loving it. I finally moved it to where it is now. It seems to be in just the right spot (which sometimes happens by fluke!). It is one of my favourites now.

HH, When I moved Honeybells to it's present location I built it up at the front so that it could hang over. You can see the piece of scrap wood that forms the mini retaining wall in the first two pictures. It gets some morning sun then shade and then a blast of hot afternoon sun for at least a few hours. I do water often and soak the ground when necessary with a hose. I do that to Abba Dabba Do also. I most likely don't take pictures if they are droopy. My soil is sandy. I have added to it over the years whatever is at hand. Sometimes that is straight lama manure. My hostas grow well but not rampant like on the coast. Some hate me (like the montanas) and some don't.

Below are some pictures to give you the idea of the kind of place it's planted. I am always creating heights in the garden in order to show off something about a plant. I use wood, rocks whatever. They are not cemented so I can change them at any time. I have moved Undulata Univittata twice and will probably put it somewhere else entirely this year. Is there a way to build a raised area for your Honeybells where it will flow?

• luvtosharedivs
    13 years ago

Thanks, Mctavish, for your detailed explanation of the care and placement of your Honeybells!

I have a different Honeybells than the one I posted above, and it has spread (as you said it would) and is overtaking a smaller, slower growing Hosta next to it.

Since yours survives in so much hot sun, I may just move one of mine to a sunnier location!

Thanks for sharing your inspirational photos!

Julie

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

Halcyon at my front entrance:

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

Here's Halcyon late October USDA Zone 4b, 2010, two frosts and one snow and thaw later:
    {{gwi:938257}}

After all, it is known for late season robustness.

hh

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

Here's when Hanky Panky looks the best. This pic from April,last year,was the first time coming up,after being planted in 2009. Phil

{{gwi:938259}}

• mctavish6
    13 years ago

That Hanky Panky looks good at that stage. What do you think of it later? I've avoided buying it because the varigation later on looks so odd. I just ordered Boracy (from Captain Kirk). It goes through a lot of changes too. I'm wondering if they are similar to Hanky Panky.

harryshoe, the pink on one side and purple on the other really make your Halcyon pop. Beautiful!

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

Myrle,Hanky Panky looks almost like Kiwi Full Monty later,and that's why it is planted just above it on the hill. I like all those Striptease sports. Phil

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Hanky Panky in Spring and then 7 and 30 days later. Edge goes darker and center becomes lighter.

Paul

• hostadom
    13 years ago

I find my Hanky Panky only really looks good early in the season and looks kind of ratty for much of the year. My Kiwi Full Monty looks great all season long. They are planted next to each other and i find the Hanky Panky a bit disappointing :(. If it dies I certainly won't be replacing it.

• sidney1515
    13 years ago

I'm a care giver right now so not too sure how many pics I'll have time to share. . here are a few H's
    I'm enjoying the pics whenever I find time to set down. Thanks y'all for taking the time to post your pictures!

Herkules with a 'k'

Hercules with a 'c' Behind Hercules to the right are two Sea Thunders I pulled off of my Sea Lightening a few years ago. I also had a green sport off this Sea Lightening last year. Is anyone having a lot of sporting with theirs?

Hacksaw takes a ton of sun here.

Hanky Panky

• keanaz5a
    13 years ago

Hoosier Harmony:

Heavenly Tiara:

Heat Wave: