hostapumpkinman
13 years ago

Old Glory-one of my favorites

Olive Branch

Orange Marmalade

Comments (10)

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

Here's one of my favorites,Olive Bailey Langdon. Grows much faster than Frances Williams,and doesn't burn. Phil

{{gwi:927231}}

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Couple of greens, both new last summer-

Obsession

One Man's Treasure

Paul

• beverlymnz4
    13 years ago

Phil, (Hosta Freak) Your OBL is beautiful. How big, old is it? I have one in high shade that was a "starter plant" a few year ago, growing slowly, and I'm wondering how big it might get. You said it doesn't burn. Do you have it in some sun? I'm thinking I might move mine if it needs some sun.

Paul, Nice shiny greens.

Hosta Pumkin Man - how does Old Glory differ from Paul's Glory? I have the latter and they look similar to me. Of course it's been a long time since I've seen mine. (It seems like forever)

Thanks for the pics. I've enjoyed every one of them. Beverly

• ninamarie
    13 years ago

I really like Olive Branch. I must add it to my wish list. How have you found its growth rate? Also, what is the name of the hosta in the picture to the left of Olive Branch.
    I added Old Glory last year, and will just have to wait for it to be as beautiful as yours.

• franknjim
    13 years ago

Orange Marmalade. New 2009.
    {{gwi:938418}}

• mctavish6
    13 years ago

What great pictures. I wouldn't have thought to compare Old Glory to Paul's Glory. They seem quite different to me. The Mature clump of Old Glory is inspiring.

Now I questioning if I really have Obcession. Mine was in it's 4th year and is as slow as can be. It also doesn't have those areas of dark green. I wasn't going to include a picture but maybe I will and someone can tell me if Obcession looks like this in the first years.

My Olive Bailey Langdon was planted in hot, half day sun because it was mislabeled Fringe Benefit. It's grown fast and held up well. I finally figured out what it was based on Phil's plant. It starts out blue and would likely stay that way in more shade but I like it here. The fall color is great.

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

Beverly,that OBL was planted there in 2006,so that would make it 4 years when this pic was taken last May. The reason I say it grows faster that FW,is,I have many FW's that are a lot older,and are nowhere the size of this one plant. It's planted in a woodland garden,that gets morning sun,then in dappled shade the rest of the day. It's about 3 feet across and 20 inches high,but I think it will get much larger. Phil

• hostapumpkinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beverly-I never realized how similar Paul's Glory is to Old Glory.I just posted a pic of Paul's Glory with the P's.My Paul's Glory leaf center tends to go from yellow to white as season progresses.Old Glory maintains it's coloring and can take a lot of sun.

ninamarie-I have had Olive Branch for several years.I do not remember it as being a slow grower-so average or better.The plant to the left is Ice Age Trail.Phil

• keanaz5a
    13 years ago

Old Glory:

Olive Branch:

Ooh La La:

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

My young Olive Bailey Langdon. Some day I hope she will look just like Phil's.

{{gwi:938441}}