Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hosta in containers

Posted by swmogardens 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 5, 11 at 19:18

Lets see some of your hostas in containers from last year.

hosta combo 1

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hosta in containers

Didn't take a pic last year,but here is Pizzazz from may of 2009. Phil

Photobucket

o

I always love anything with pictures. What is the hosta in the middle of the first picture? The streaky margins are very appealing. Phil, I can't wait for my new Pizzazz to look like yours.

Here are some of mine in pots. I've cut WAY back since the losses of 09. I try to only have duplicates in pots but don't always succeed. Some I just enjoy in pots and think they show off better. I've tried to take at least a small portion of these plants to have as a reserve in the ground. The first five are examples of those.

Cherry Berry is in a pot to try to control the slug damage which has been working pretty well. Elvis Lives is in a pot because he developes spots in the later summer and I don't know if it's contageous, due to watering or what. Last summer was the first one where he was isolated and the spots were about 80% less so maybe it's watering.

The last one, Albo Marg. U is just because I have several of these and love the look of it no matter how common it is. It got much too root bound last year and I never did get it transplanted or divided. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it survives and I will be able to deal with it this summer.

Mourning Dove

Red October

Little Red Rooster

Invincible

Blue Whirls

Cherry Berry

Elvis Lives

Albo Marginata Undulata

o

A few in pots on my deck - some 2010 seedlings and rest new acquisitions in 2010. Deck gets a bit more sun and additional watering than most of my gardens.
Hosta in Pots-10

Hosta in Pots-10

Same as 1st from a different angle.
Hosta in Pots-10

Paul

o

I guess this chimney flue counts as a container. I moved this guy last year because it was getting overwhelmed by larger hostas. This is Ginsu Knife. Phil

Photobucket

o

Phil... is there a bottom on those flues or do you just set them right onto soil?

o

No,Melissa,they are right on the ground. This particular one is buried about a third of its height,with rocks at the bottom,and a re-bar in there to prevent its tipping over. A mixture of potting soil and compost is the soil,with mulch on top. I'm looking forward to this year,as Ginsu Knife is a cascading type hosta. The one behind it is Red October,and I still have one more chimney flue,I am planning to use this year. I may cut that one into 2 pieces. Phil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here