Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Hostas w/ Daylilies?

thisismelissa
13 years ago

Up till now, my hostas have remained separate from my sun-loving perennials. But I'd like to possibly intermingle them in the spring since many of my daylilies are getting rather big.

I'm kinda wondering, how little sun can a daylily take before it starts to bloom less? I remember my MIL giving me some daylilies because her garden was too shady for them to bloom.

Got any pics of hosta+daylily?

Comments (12)

• sidney1515
    13 years ago

Melissa, I do it all the time. Tomorrow I'll look for some pics. .

• luvtosharedivs
    13 years ago

Melissa,
    Most Daylilies will flower very well with 6 hours of full sun. In my experience, I've had DLs flower well in an area that gets full sun for an hour, then filtered sun/shade for a couple hours, then full sun for a couple hours, and finally filtered sun/shade for the rest of the day.

I've been gradually adding Hostas to these areas during the past couple of years, doing research to find the sun tolerant Hostas. But to tell you the truth, I've experimented w/Hostas that aren't listed as sun tolerant, and they also do fine.

I would say your daylilies will need at least 6 hours of full sun or a combination of full sun and partial sun/day to flower well. You may have to experiment. I've moved DL's around many times, since some have less budcounts by nature. DLs that have high budcounts seem to do very well for me in shadier spots.

Tinker's often give budcounts for daylily cultivars.

I'll see if I can find a pic or two in one of my albums.

BTW, the photo on your member page is knock-out gorgeous!
    You must have a lot of energy to have arranged and planted that awesome garden.

Julie

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Awh Julie, Thanks.
    I haven't been able to update it with the 2010 pic, so I'll just show ya:

Not much has changed since the pic you saw, other than some re-arranging and maturing, so they're filling in.

I don't think the bed I was considering gets 6 hours of sun. Maybe 3-4 hours of morning sun, then shade for the rest of the day. Bummer.

• sidney1515
    13 years ago

Melissa. . I looked for some pictures but could only find one and that with an Asian lily. My pictures have been so unorganized since mom got sick. Sorry sis, maybe I'll come across them later.

McTavish. . your pictures are lovely and a great example of hostas and day lilies! Love them!

• luvtosharedivs
    13 years ago

Mctavish,
    I thoroughly enjoyed your photos...excellent mix of Hostas & Daylilies& other beautifully textured foliage plants.

I need to rearrange some of my plantings so there is more of a mix, which will show off more of the difference in foliage shapes & textures.

Melissa,
    I could only find one photo that shows the area I described earlier with the sun - sun/shade - sun - sun/shade fluctuations in light throughout the day.

This photo doesn't show all the hostas, as the garden curves around & out of site of the position I shot from. I plan to add more hostas around the edge and amongst the DLs...I think this will take me a couple of years to complete.

Julie

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

We use Oriental Lilies vs. Asian as 1: they're fragrant, and 2: they seem to do better in shade, as far as flowering goes:
    {{gwi:938894}}
    hh

• sidney1515
    13 years ago

Beautiful pic hh and thanks for the tip.. .I'll give it a try.

I found another pic Melissa.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

A good daylily for semi-shade is 'Cedar Waxing'. In fact, it is said to fade if in full sun. Never tried it full sun but it does well with only 3-4 hours direct morning sun and then a rather thick high shade the rest of the day.

'Cedar Waxwing'
    {{gwi:266791}}

tj

• sidney1515
    13 years ago

Thank you for the tip TJ, I'll look for one. I bought quite a few more daylilies a couple years ago when a garden shop sold out. I had to put them in the far end of my isolation garden because I didn't have time to plant. .I was burning daylight as it was. . lol
    The name sounds familiar so I may have it in that bunch. . hope, hope. . . course it could sound familiar because I have Cedar Waxwings that set in a snowberry tree and pass berries down the line. . I get so engrossed watching these cuties that I don't get my gardening finished. .

• mctavish6
    13 years ago

Sidney, Love the coreopsis peeking out from under the daylily.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

You are welcome, Sidney. I've had the cedar waxwings playing pass the berry in a viburnum and, yes, it is very mesmerizing.

tj