Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Oh boy, oh boy! Lookie what I've got!!

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

Nothing poking up out of the ground yet, but a couple of my pots are showing signs of life!

Comments (25)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more!

Who else out there has hostas coming up?

• hostanista
    10 years ago

I have some too!!

Under THREE FEET of SNOW.

Sigh.......

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Two months to go!!!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Yup. ;-)

-Babka

{{gwi:939279}}

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

My fragrant ones are starting to grow. Something is eating Fragrant Bouquet, though. I'm guessing a caterpillar from the shape of the damage. The pip is hollowed out and another is "edge eaten. If not a caterpillar, it's probably a rat. My neighbor feeds the squirrels, stray cats and birds. She does not understand that she is keeping the rats close by as well.

It's too cool for slugs, so it can't be that.

I've been longing or hosta for weeks, now I"m getting a dose of reality. There are all kinds of critters that enjoy eating hosta. Apples always seem to have a core.

bk

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

That's just not fair!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Bkay...Do you have earwigs there? Or weevils? (might be too early for those) Corey's makes an insect killer in powder form. Sprinkle that in your pots. Rats take larger bites.

-Babka

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

I looked and poked around a couple of days ago and noticed pips nosing up in most of my Hosta clausa which is typically the first one to break for me. Others with swelling buds were 'Hacksaw' and a number of 'Hacksaw'/'Ray of Hope' seedlings.

BK, my biggest problem with rats is they go after a lot of my lilies predominantly, they've always left my hostas alone, thank goodness. Even though it may be still quite cold, slugs are active, just slower, and what you're describing does remind me of slug damage.

Pieter

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, Babka, yours are really out! They look great!

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I do not have to look for hostas emerging since december 1 2013, they grow in my basement, here a bunch of them. Bernd

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

What a haul, Bernd. How do you decide which to keep? You have a lot of streakers that look fairly similar.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

No hostas yet, which is good because it's still too cold here, but the tulips are coming up en masse. Good to see some life in the yard!

Don B.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Bring a pot in early if you want a February/March Hosta fix. Put it in a sunny window. Here's Beet Salad which I started early because I want to use fresh pollen on some early blooming plants.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Nothin' but Daffodils here,up about 6 inches already,but they are always early! I may have to throw some more leaves on them,because winter is coming back next week. Phil

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

bk, I will keep most, the others get donated to the hosta sale of the local hosta society. I have two trays like that plus another tray with younger seedlings. The seedlings shown had their seeds planted 3 months ago, but in the next 2 1/2 months will grow big with all that chlorophyl now in much larger leaves. Bernd

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Those sure look beautiful!

Babka what are the names of the blues that are the furthest along?
    Jo

Edited for grammar! Coffee hasn't kicked in yet

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 12:02

• gardens1
    10 years ago

Not fair, everyone! I have a couple of boulders about 3feet high or so in a border that I put in last year, and still can't even see the humps where they are for all the snow- the rail fence behind them is still almost buried! The pics sure do look nice, though, and nice seedlings, Bernd.

• luuk
    10 years ago

Hello tiny plantaginea, welcome back !
    (sown in april 2013)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Josephine- The largest one is Lederhosen, and the next is Salute.

-Babka

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

Mama said it's not nice to tease (but it is encouraging.) I am also still under 3+ feet of snow.

• esther_b
    10 years ago

My world looks pretty much like that of UNBIDDEN. There was some melting today, as the temps were in the high 40s and we had a big all-day rainstorm yesterday. Just enough to give a spring-like smell to the air and tantalize. Already the radio weatherman says to prepare for a lot colder weather starting Monday, and possible MORE snow Wedneday. Argh! It's not fair.

I've had to plan errands with care. Every errand depended on whether I thought I could get a parking space upon my return, as every other place to park a car was piled high with snow and at the same time competing with the thoughtless students at a nearby college, who think it's fine to leave 3 or 4 feet between their car and the next car fore and aft. So people who own residences can't even park in front of their own home! Having to park 2 and 3 blocks away from my own home, especially when carrying heavy packages, is not fun, especially when it's icy. The students couldn't care less.

• JANE100
    10 years ago

Steve, thanks for the info about bringing a pot into the house. I'm green with envy seeing everyone's pic. Keep running into the garage every couple of days checking the pots. . Had temps in the 40's this past week and all the snow is melted in the bed behind the house. Going out tomorrow to move some of the mulch on my in -ground Hostas and see if anything coming up. Only have one double hung window that gets sun from about 12 till 4. Would that be enough light or would it be better in the basement under florescent lights. ?

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    10 years ago

I have some just to the right of the snowmen. Can you see them?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I think I see 'em! Are they white?

Don B.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Jane,

Start one under the lights in the basement and then bring it up to the window as you get later into the Spring. That should be fine.

Steve

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES