hostapumpkinman

Hosta Alphabet G

hostapumpkinman
13 years ago

My only G picture-Great Expectations

Comments (15)

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

Can't keep up with the alphabet progression, sorry.

I am curious about what the plant to the right of center in this pic is, please?

hh

• coralb
    13 years ago

Great Arrival new in 2010

Guardian Angel also new

• uk-hostaman
    13 years ago

i have a FEW...
    GREAT ESCAPE

GREAT EXPECTATIONS

GRAND TIARA

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

Everyone has at least one of these. I have 15 of these Gold Standards. They're the weed of hostas,outside of Undulatas,that is. Phil

{{gwi:939480}}

• paul_in_mn
    13 years ago

Gala - a bit different, center darkens over summer(this is 7/30 pic). Rabbits kept mowing it down, so stuck it along edge of some geranium/cranesbill to give it a chance.

Garnet Prince - 1st year , vase shape, ML size nigrescens hybrid.

Ghost Spirit (mid June) - 2nd year, center will mist as season goes on.

Goodness Gracious - 1st year, large (no pic in HL yet) - Satisfaction Sport so hopefully a good grower. Added a link to fuller and more mature pic below.

Great Arrival - 1st year, a reverse sport of Great Expectations

Guacamole - 3rd year pic - fills out a bit later than others in my garden, but so do Fragrant Bouquet, Stained Glass and Holy Mole from that family.

Gypsy Rose - new, did well for 1st year, Striptease sport

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful:

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

Here is one of my Great Expectations. It got all these new leaves, possibly after treatment with BAP-10.

Bernd

• luvtosharedivs
    13 years ago

Hosta-p-k-man and coralb,
    Your Great Expectations both look more lush than mine. I made the mistake of dividing mine a couple of years ago, which set both div's back drastically. I think GE is one that a person must leave alone for a long time, since it seems to be such a slow grower.

uk-hostaman,
    Your Great Escape is stunning! I have added it to my wish list.

Phil,
    Weed or not, I never tire of Gold Standard, especially in the Fall when it shows its beautiful gold center.

Paul,
    Your Guacamole is expertly situated, among the darker foliage plants - great photography!

A few of my G's:

Giesha - not sure I like this one yet. The leaves are rather thin and get shreaded during strong winds - I should move it to a more sheltered spot:

Gold Crown:

Gold Drop is always loaded with blooms:

I'm not sure Golden Meadows is supposed to behave (or misbehave?) like this, with every leaf different:

Love Golden Sculpture's heavy puckering:

A favorite of mine, Guardian Angel:

Julie

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

Golden Meadows:

Golden Prayers:

Grand Slam:

Great Expectations:

Grand Master:

Gunsmoke:

The following pics are not from my garden, but were taken at other's gardens... many from the AHS convention 2010:

Galaxy:

Golden Sculpture (voted best clump):

Guardian Angel:

Guardian Angel (Venero Gardens)

Gunther's Prize

• hostapumpkinman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hostahillbilly-the plant is a Sparkler Coneflower.Boring flowers but great foliage.Got it a few years ago,have not seen any for sale since.Phil

• sidney1515
    13 years ago

Some G's. . I was going to put in some more but I think I just turned into a punkin. . nite folks!

Garden Party on bottom

This one multiplies fast but likes very little sun.

This is Alex Summer's Green Centered S&S

• mctavish6
    13 years ago

luvtosharedivs - Your Giesha is a lot nicer than my Ani Machi which are suppose to be the same plant. I have seen two different types of this plant in the Encyclopedia. The smaller one, which seems to be the one I have, is very streaky and misted, something I don't like at all in hostas. Yours looks larger, shinier and the varigation looks healthy rather than sick like mine does. The only pictures I got last year were bad. I tend to ignore the failures. On to better "G's"

Odd light in this one. It was taken in August last year when we had a lot of forest fire smoke. Everything was eerily yellow. When I look back at the pictures from these days my eyes begin to water.

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

Gunther's Prize at Wade Gatton:
    {{gwi:939592}}

Gemini Moon at Wade Gatton:
    {{gwi:939594}}

Couldn't resist ;-)
    hh

• hosta_freak
    13 years ago

Here is my little pathetic Great Expectations. I moved it to this place,in more sun,in 2009,and this is how it looked last year. I think it will do better where it is. Phil

{{gwi:939596}}

• franknjim
    13 years ago

Great Expectations, Green Fountain, Golden Scepter & Golden Tiara. GE was in that spot for about 8 years and had not faired well so it was dug up divided ad planted in two new locations.
    {{gwi:939597}}

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

Ginko Craig:

{{gwi:939598}}

Gold Standard:

{{gwi:212239}}