Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiara Family of Hostas

Posted by don_r Z 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 20:18

How many Tiaras do you grow? Here's a list of all the cultivars in the Tiara family. Let's see how many photos we can post of those listed below.

Tiara Family of Hostas

Amber Tiara
Binkie
Crystal Tiara
Diamond Tiara
Diamonds are Forever
Emerald Scepter
Emerald Tiara
Flame Tiara
Gilded Tiara
Glen Tiara
Gold Heart
Golden Scepter
Golden Tiara
Grand Gold
Grand Prize
Grand Tiara
Heavenly Tiara
Ivory Tiara
Jade Scepter
Jade Tiara
Lime Tiara
Margaret Mary Tiara
Opal Scepter
Opal Tiara
Pearl Tiara
Platinum Tiara
Ribbon Tiara
Silver Tiara
Streaked Tiara
Sunny Tiara
Topaz Tiara
Touchstone

Golden Tiara around Sum and Substance:
Sum and Substance, Diamond Tiara

Grand Tiara around Variegated Solomon's Seal:
Elatior, Diamond Tiara, Variegated Solomon's Seal

Platinum Tiara in front of Fantastic:
Fantastic, Platinum Tiara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiara Family of Hostas

Grand Tiara (with a few divisions sporting to Amber Tiara or similar)

and pic of sport(Amber Tiara?) sorting itself out-
Hosta 'Grand Tiara Sport' (similar to Amber Tiara)

Royal Tiara

Platinum Tiara
Hosta 'Platinum Tiara' Pictures, Images and Photos

Heavenly Tiara
Heavenly Tiara Pictures, Images and Photos

Paul

o

i used to have them all ....

and then they continued to find new ones in TC .. and doubled how many there were ...

and now i only have half of them ... but for the weaklings that committed suicide ... say.. yellow with white ... the terminals .. etc ...

back in 1998 at the national.. at my garden.. walters gardens sent the whole collection they had in TC .... and i remember peeps 4 deep taking pix.. it was quite a buzz..

the first row on their bellies.. the second on knees ... the third bending slightly so the 4th row could peer over their shoulders ...

ken

o

I only have Golden Tiara,and Grand Tiara. Last year I dug up my Grand Tiaras,because they were getting overrun by soil washing downhill,and burying them. I had to move them because they were getting smaller because of being planted too deep. I separated them into smaller plants,and planted a line of them around my Japanese Maple. I am looking forward to seeing them come up this spring. Phil

o

I had no idea there are so many Tiaras.

Deanna

o

Don, you've pictured, but not listed, Royal Tiara. I love it's twisted look, but Hallson's has warned me that it reverts. Golden, Amber, and Emerald grow so well for me that I wanted to add more. Nance

o

Here are my Tiaras with the exception of Heavenly Tiara which has been in a decline since I got it in 2005

Diamond Tiara 6-2-10 k(115)

Diamond Tiara 6-2-10j (115)

o

Regarding Royal Tiara, Zilis says it's probably not part of the Tiara family of hostas (those related to Golden Tiara). Closer examination of Royal Tiara since the time of registration indicates that Royal Tiara came from Gold Edger. See the entry for Royal Tiara in The Hostapedia, page 797. Read the "origin" and "comments" sections.

o

I am thinking about changing out my Golden Tiara for another of the others. Could this group advise me as to which of the Tiaras is believed to have the "whitest' coloration?

Peter Kelley
St Paul, MN USA

o

Peter,

Likely Diamond Tiara or perhaps Platinum Tiara.

Steve

o

Don R., Paul and McTavish: you all have a beautiful variety of Tiaras...I have two, thought I would add another one last year but it ended up being shipped to the nursery where I purchased it mislabelled! I will show it anyway as it is still possible it IS a Tiara.

Don, I love the design with Golden Tiara!

Here is Golden scepter before division.

o

Golden Tiara...one of three that were divided last spring - beautiful little hosta.

o

Here is my cute NOID that was labelled as a Royal Tiara...had I known at the time what it SHOULD have looked like I would have asked the staff to I.d. it. It'll be a year older this year...hoping we'll have success at identifying it at flowering time.

What stumped the attempts at identifying it was that my nose discovered the flowers were fragrant!

It also has a variegated sport attached to it (which may, or may not be a GT...or a PT which I am hoping it is). As usual, it's a wait-and-see game isn't it? :-)....as is the detection of fragrance discovery.

o

Don, I am pleased that you are featuring a thread on the tiaras.

I've had mine for several years...bought it around 2005. It's hard to believe Golden Tiara has been around since 1977! It is one of those "workhorses" ... Dependable and reliable and pretty resilient, being able to withstand lots of sun exposure and drought as well. It makes a great ground cover or edger and maintains a delightful mound. It is a hosta that everyone should have at least one of, IMO. ...(and because it is a superstar as well...having won awards and revolutionizing the world of "small hosta". Definitely worth a few minutes of one's time to read up on this one if one is not familiar with it. :-)

Thank you for bringing attention to such a sweet little hosta. I had no idea there were so many in this family! I'm going now to google these names you've provided.

Jo

o

I had Diamond Tiara for years and it did well in a pot. It acquired a virus and had to be trashed. I just ordered a Diamonds are Forever from Chris.

bk

o

I have Amber Tiara, Diamond Tiara, Diamonds are Forever, Emerald Tiara, Golden Tiara, Grand Prize, Grand Tiara, Heavenly Tiara and Platinum Tiara. That is, if they all made it through the Winter. Too soon to tell.

o

'Diamond Tiara'. I like it, it's a pretty little hosta. Looking at Jo's pic, seems I should get a 'Golden Tiara' as well.

Don B.

o

I also think your Diamond needs a Golden sister! It would tickle me pink to think that I might have enabled you, Don..you being a great enabler! :-)

G'wan, get yourself one, you NEED it...there are so many places she would fit in in your gardens...were you not looking for ground covers awhile back?
Take another look at Don R.'s pic above if you need any more nudging... hint...hint...nudge...nudge. LOL. Just here to help.

This post was edited by josephines67 on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 0:56

o

• Posted by arcy mn 3/4 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 13:10

Here is my Golden Tiara that and Gold Standard. It is peeking just behind the day lily. Not the best showing in the shade and early in the season. I love all the yellows!!!! Thanks for sharing everyone.

o

• Posted by arcy mn 3/4 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 7:50

Here is an older pic--but better of two of my favorite together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here