Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

Just can't resist

mosswitch
11 years ago

My purchases at the hosta society auction today. Silver Star, Ruby's Ruffles, Majordomo and that cute little one with the flower scape and no tag. Anybody recognize it?

Sandy

Comments (12)

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Nice selection. I hadn't seen that Majordomo before. Very nice form. Well done.

Beverly

• User
    11 years ago

Which auction was that, where today you could pick up those nice hosta? All are really pretty, and I guess it is Majordomo which looks so different?

The First Look Auction at HostaLibrary just ended.....I think.....but then I am not sure. I bid on one, and sat for the last hour refreshing the screen to make sure I wasn't outbid. Won't say which one, don't want to hex it. But crossing fingers! I thought they were taking it down after it closed but the images are still up, which makes me nervous.......

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

moccasin, Congratulation!
    I could not be at the computer over the last hour, could not outbid that person who had outbid me, got nothing! :(
    Bernd

• dg
    11 years ago

Nice "score" Sandy! Please show us a close up photo of the noid hosta in question. I'm curious to find out what it is ;-)

Deb

• User
    11 years ago

And Berndny, I have yet to be notified of my win of Stud Muffin. It's been a long wait to have it possibly come to my garden. What a glorious small gold it will be! Once I get the notice, I shall post a picture of it, or a link to a photo in Hosta Library.

I sat hunched over the computer for that last hour. I blinked and pulled the trigger too quickly the first time, thought I was too late, then got my times right and settled down.

Many thanks to Paula Lehtola at AHS who offered up her lovely hosta to the First Look Auction.

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Yep, you got it Moccasin. I still have yet to win one at an online auction. Picked up a couple at a convention auction last year though. I will probably keep bidding. With less room to plant I feel I can pay more per plant. Hope to see follow up pictures this spring from you two.

Beverly

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This was at the Greater Ozarks Hosta Society meeting in Springfield, Mo. The hostas were forced by Hilltop Farms in Ash Grove for our booth at the Springfield Lawn and Garden show last weekend, and auctioned off at the season kick-off meeting. They are going to have to be houseplants for a few weeks before they can go outside.

Majordomo is the big pretty blue one. Has red scapes. I fell for that one!

Sandy

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Better picture, this morning in daylight.

Sandy

• User
    11 years ago

The little one seems to be very tender at this time of year. If it does as my Unforgettable did, it takes on more substance as it hardens off later in the spring.

Your Majordomo looks like a good night's rest did wonders for its perkiness. Yes, I see how the forcing can leave them very tender and susceptible to a change of venue. Of course, I know you will baby them as long as necessary. All four look fine. That you could win four with so many people getting the gardening fever, you had to be on your toes. Congratulations.

Incidentally, when I placed my last bid, I could not wait to see if a competitor would put in something and then have time to respond, so I anticipated what "his" bid might be, and upped it $10 more. And, put it in so there was mere seconds remaining on the clock when my last (and winning) bid was recorded.

Like you, Sandy, I figure not to buy many this year, and so hesitated only a moment before hitting the BID button. For those who played the game, and did not win, I feel that you helped the auction a lot by participating. Without your bids, the game would not yield the $$$ for the First Look--so the success is built upon all the bidding and bidders.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The auction benefitted the hosta garden at the Springfield Botanical gardens so I don't regret paying a bit more than I would have otherwise...I made a donation and got plants to boot!

Sandy

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Sandy,the little noid looks like Cracker Crumbs,but that's just a guess. Phil

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

For your planting planning purposes, that Majordomo is a FAST grower, at least here!

Happy Trails,

hh