Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pie Crust - Ruffled Edged Large Hostas

Posted by Hostanista 5B (Ont) (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 21:31

My new favorite hostas for 2014 are the large pie crust or ruffled varieties. I've pre-ordered these 4 for spring pick-up at my local hosta supplier. I have seen Bridal Falls and Neptune on this forum before but I'm not so familiar with Irish Luck and Rubies and Ruffles. Those were recommended by the supplier. Anyone have any comments on these 4 varieties?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pie Crust - Ruffled Edged Large Hostas

I don't have Rubies & Ruffles, but I have the other 3.

Irish Luck is one of my favorites, and so is Neptune. I like Bridal Falls, but white margins don't endure my climate too well. I seem to have better luck with gold leaf and dark green margins. Or solid greens.

Candy Dish is another one which is almost like a ruffled flat lily pad. It could bookend the Irish Luck in any lineup, and be different but give a similar impression.

The Neptune is extremely interesting to me because of the white backs. That draws attention to the ruffles.

Are you wanting other hosta to be pointed out as well, or do you want only comments about experience with these four?

I'd say another whiteback ruffled hosta would be Marilyn Monroe. Gorgeous. BUT it is not a Large, which is what you were looking for, right?

Do you already have Manhattan? Take a look at it.

o

I don't have any of those, sadly, but Irish Luck is on my short list as soon as I have a spot open up out there...also been thinking about Neptune for a while.

My largest pie crust is Queen of the Seas, which seemed extra ripply last year. I like it because its vase shaped, too

photo efcddcb1-a1a3-48b9-95e0-53a5629045ff_zps5d7f17e0.jpg

o

I have Neptune, but it was only purchased last year and is too immature to comment on as yet. Bridal Falls is ordered so I'm in the same boat as you on that score.

Coll, your Queen of the Seas looks fabulous! Although there is light evident in the photograph, I'm presuming that your plant is mostly shaded judging by the blue hue. I also picked this plant up last year, but it will be a few years before it fully grows up. How long have you had yours?

BC

o

'Irish Luck' is the only one of those that I have, and it is just a yearling - but already it is beginning to ruffle, and it has a lovely dark green sheen that is very attractive. A winner.
Jan

Irish Luck photo summergarden020_zpsf0e5cd5c.jpg

And 'Niagara Falls' is another you might consider.

Jan

o

BC,

I think I got QOS in late 2007...or possibly 2008. Yes, the location is quite shady- a huge pine overhangs this bed so the only sun is whatever makes it through the branches. It's bluest in the Spring and early summer, but the shade helps mine keep it's color for a long time.

o

Thanks for your opinions, all. Always nice to have different viewpoints.

I like the Manhattan, but none of the 3 local suppliers here seem to carry it. Marilyn Monroe is on my wish list and I will probably pick one up this season. Yes, I was focussed on the large ones since I have tons of room.

I have both Queen of the Seas and Niagara Falls - QotS will be in year 3 this year so I'm anticipating great things from her. I only got NF last season so we'll she what she can do after she wakes from this winter sleep....

If anyone has any more recommendations for large pie crust hostas, chime in! And thanks!

o

I have a large 'Queen of the Seas', is actually 2 plants. H.'Niagara Falls' is coming along and is quite impressive. 'Elvis Lives', 'Marilyn Monroe', 'Candy Dish', 'Permanent Wave' and 'Manhattan' are good growers. 'Clovelly' was beautiful, but suddenly died, voles, rot? I have 3 large clumps 'Elisabeth' which have waves and grow very well. Bernd

o

I have to add Journey's End. Its very large and beautiful. The pie crusting is not as tight as on some hosta but the overall effect is fabulous.

Beverly

o

Adding another into the mix, 'Grand Canyon' has become a favorite of mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: More 'Grand Canyon'

o

It seems that my Lakeside Full Tide is showing some ripple effect. Readily available. Dark green.

o

Here is hosta 'American Icon'.

o

H.'Dancing Queen' is also ruffeled edged. Bernd

o

Hostanista,
Two others you may wish to consider because they are large, vase shaped and rippled are Lakeside Ripples and Fleet Week. I have the former already (still young - another acquired last year) and the latter on order. If you are tempted, I know that Hosta Choice is running a "reduce the stock" discount promotion and Fleet Week is on the list.
BC

o

Well what's not to love about ALL of your suggestions! My wish list keeps growing.
Thank you, Enablers.

o

It's not a giant, more of a 'Large medium', but 'Spartacus' is a vigorous, fast-growing hosta with great rippled looks and nice variegation.

Don B.

o

And Mocc, I LOVE your 'Lakeside Full Tide'!

Gotta catch 'em all!

Don B.

o

'Gone with the Wind' will mature into a very large mound, and has some wonderfully ruffled margins, as this leaf pic shows on this newly-planted three-year-old from Hallson Gardens...The leaves, when I touched them for this pic, were as rigid and tough as thin cardboard. Beauty and substance both.

BTW Hostanista...Ahem...if I may...YOUR BIRD PHOTOS ON THE BIRDWATCHING FORUM ARE AMAZING! I've been looking at that forum for several days now, and you have many top-notch pics posted there. Keep it up, your work is really quite grand.

A big fan of your wildlife phtography.

Don B.

o

Wow, thanks Don, that's real nice of you to say. I only wish I had a decent camera to take better shots. It has very limited zoom; half the time the stupid battery is charging up and I miss "that perfect shot"! I'm always swearing at the bloody thing. A lot of the pics are taken right through the living room window and it's kind of difficult to clean it this time of year, sheesh!

No shortage of subjects though, and today I heard the cardinals start singing again so spring can't be that far off, right? I hold my breath until my beloved hummingbirds come back to visit me for the summer!

o

Hostanista, I purchased Neptune and Irish Luck both this past year, both were very impressive with lovely ruffling in 1gal pots, and held up well throughout the season with no difficulties. Alas, Niagara Falls has never done it for me, and I don't think I like Bridal Falls any better (bad girl, eh, as I grew up in the Niagara area!). Spartacus has been at the top of my list since I saw a photo of Don's a few months ago, so has Rubies and Rufffles, and American Choo Choo looks quite intriguing as well, so yes it is on my list too. I found it a little difficult to source, but Hosta Choice has it for I think $25. It is a non-registered sport of Choo Choo Train from Wade. HC also has Spartacus and Fleet Week mentioned above by BCHosta. It might be in the best interests of your (our) ahem, obsession, to check them out! Have fun!

o

DonB, which birdwatching forum do you follow? On GWEB?
Guess I'll have to go searching for it.

There should be some great pictures since yesterday ended the Great Backyard Bird Count...GBBC and all eyes were on the skies...and pastures....and bushes

o

Bird watching forum:
http://nature.gardenweb.com/forums/bird/?8156

Here is a link that might be useful: http://nature.gardenweb.com/forums/bird/?8156

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here