Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane100_gw

New Hampshire Hostas

JANE100
10 years ago

Anybody ever order from New Hampshire Hostas? Thinking of sending in an order . They say they ship in 3 and 4" pots. Prices and shpg. chgs. seem reasonable but how is the size and quality? And what condition do they arrive at? Already sending an order to Naylor Creek for: Whirlwind, Ripple Effect,Allegon Fog, Tick Tock, Pandora's Box, Paradise Joyce, and Bedazzled.
Still have 5 more on my wish list for Naylors. Blew my "frivolicity " budget for this month already, . but March comes in only 2 wks.

Comments (20)

• User
    10 years ago

Since you are in WNY, is there any reason you are going to New Hampshire Hostas? Just wondering. I haven't ordered from them, but I have ordered from other nurseries in VT and NH and Ohio, which could be around same distance from you.

Until my last order of 2013, I'd only received mail ordered hosta bare root, and they came with great root systems. All were shipped via USPS Priority Mail. Pretty standard charges, although some places shipped free if I met certain conditions (like ordering early in the winter, or a discount for volume/$$)

So what are you looking for at NHH? Be sure to get back to tell us your experience with the plants etc. Sorry I could not give you what you seek.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Here's Cutting Edge received in 3-4" pot from NHH - Pics are progression '08, '09, '10.

Paul

• JANE100
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocc, I'm new at this and not familiar with mail order nurseries. Most of my plants were from local nurseries but I haven't seen the ones I want there. Belong to the WNY Hosta Society, but don't know anyone that well yet to get much info. Will see them on Sat. March 1, for breakfast, so I'll try to get some advice then. Where do you get your plants from? I know a lot of you guys on the forum use Hallson's and Fransens.. My yard is pretty small so I could only get small & mini's.What are some of the nurseries closer to my area. These are the ones I wanted to order from NHH. Cherish, Cherry Tart, Deja Blue, Silver Threads & Golden Needles, and Lakeside Cupcake.

Paul, love that cutting edge, Wish I could find something like that in small. Like I told Mocc, don't have a lot of room to put in the ground so will have more in pots. Will have to find someone at the WNYHS closer to my area to be my" Guru. " Wondering if I bit off more than I can chew. Maybe I'll check in the spring at my locals to see if they could order the ones I want." Maybe it's too late in life to start such a big project.

• JANE100
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocc, I'm new at this and not familiar with mail order nurseries. Most of my plants were from local nurseries but I haven't seen the ones I want there. Belong to the WNY Hosta Society, but don't know anyone that well yet to get much info. Will see them on Sat. March 1, for breakfast, so I'll try to get some advice then. Where do you get your plants from? I know a lot of you guys on the forum use Hallson's and Fransens.. My yard is pretty small so I could only get small & mini's.What are some of the nurseries closer to my area. These are the ones I wanted to order from NHH. Cherish, Cherry Tart, Deja Blue, Silver Threads & Golden Needles, and Lakeside Cupcake.

Paul, love that cutting edge, Wish I could find something like that in small. Like I told Mocc, don't have a lot of room to put in the ground so will have more in pots. Will have to find someone at the WNYHS closer to my area to be my" Guru. " Wondering if I bit off more than I can chew. Maybe I'll check in the spring at my locals to see if they could order the ones I want." Maybe it's too late in life to start such a big project.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Jane check out Green Mountain for minis. I have had great plants from this mail order company. Check out Pearl Lake a favorite. I have become a professional enabler, true. found my calling. Prices at Green mountain are reasonable. Have fun

• JANE100
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ilovetogrow, Thanks for the info. I'll look them up on the net. Guess I'm getting a little nuts with all this snow and cold weather.. It's 18 now and supposed to go up to 32.. I want all this to just go away.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

I have purchased over 100 plants from NH . They do come In 4 inch pots very well packed. They are either one or two eye plants, but they start growing very quickly. By the end of year two they are good sized plants. If you can buy from a local nursery you will find bigger plants. They are generally more expensive unless on sale at the end of the season. Now you only need to worry about diseased plants . I have never received a deceased plat from NH. I highly recommend them if you are willing to wait for a year for the plants to get some size.

• User
    10 years ago

Jane, I've grown hosta for about 2 years, and went from 0 to 400 by the end of last growing season! So it is a plant which grabs hold of us and won't let go. Yes, I placed several orders for spring delivery, contemplating at least ONE more order. You are with the right group to be charmed into an ever increased hosta presence in what space you have available.

How small is your space? Or, is there more space available but not planned for hosta? Is there grass lawn? Is there perhaps a nice broken shade spot near a patio where containers can sit? You will be surprised how creative you get siting hosta once the mania burns in your head. :)

Paula mentioned Green Mountain. Oh yes. I order from them. I also order from Mason Hollow (NH), Wade Gatton (Ohio), Hallsons (MI), Savory's (MN...they have lots of small/mini/fragrant hosta to their credit and for sale), Naylor Creek (WA state) which features Fransen plants in their catalog....so lots to choose from,and I haven't mentioned all of them. Others are Avalon Acres, Made In The Shade, Bob Solberg in NC, and Land of The Giants (which recently introduced a hot new mini hosta, contrary to expectations).

Perhaps Berndny can point you to some nurseries within driving distance since he is in NY state.

I recommend several of the smalls, which are better for me than the minis, too tender in our extreme climate. The ones I really like are White Dove, Verna Jean, Little Sunspot, Gold Drop, Banana Muffins (a sm/med). If you have room for something in that size range, think about Blue Cadet, Banyai's Dancing Girl, Purple Lady Fingers. I have trouble growing Masquerade so far, but keep trying...it should like your zone better than my 9a. Hands Up is a new small related to Praying Hands....unique and very heavy substance for such a small thing.

Good luck. This is only the beginning. Order soon if you want new introductions, since those fly off the available list quickly. The ones I mentioned above have been around for several years (except Hands Up), so should be readily available and cheap.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Moccasin, I bought from Glenbrook Farms which is located off the NY Thruway SW of Amsterdam, see the add at the top of the Hosta Library. I visited, but you must call first. The plants were good size, much bigger than a 4 inch pot, had good roots, some cost only $10. All grew nicely, i.e. I got the hosta 'Winter Snow' shown by me in the Hosta 'W' 2013 thread at Glenbrook Farms that same year. Bernd

• coll_123
    10 years ago

I agree with sunnywood's comments. I haven't ordered from NHH but have visited their nursery and purchased many hostas. All are one or two eyes in small pots, so you aren't getting a mature plant by any means, but all my NHHs have grown well and been healthy.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

NH Hostas are good quality plants, not the best place, but certainly not the worst, either. One-and-two-eyed plants (I think they state that on their website) that I bought in 2012 and showed good growth for 2013.

'Guardian Angel' bought in 2012 from NH Hostas: Sorry for the blurry pic, but note the 4" pot to the right in pic...

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

...And the same plant in 2013. I'd also agree with Paula (ilovetogrow) about Green Mountain being a very good place to buy hostas.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

This is an order from Green Mountain with the yardstick for size reference.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

An order from Hallson Gardens, a forum-favorite place for hostas. An A+ operation.

Don B.

• JANE100
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the information. I'll Google all the places you mentioned. I'm in Buffalo NY so the Ohio & Michigan places sound like a closer bet.
    Mocc, my whole lot is 30x135' I'm putting a new bed between the garages that is about 8' wide by the length of a 2 car garage..It will be tiered in 3 stages with probably the med. in the highest tier, and then s/m next an then smalls.Each tier will be about 5' deep and 8' wide.. Mini's will go in front of the garage 8' x 2' deep. Putting Guacamole, So Sweet and Dream Queen in first tier. Also have space next to the fence about 4'x40', and in back of the house about 24' x 5' deep.Have a lot of space next to the fence on drive side for pots. Don't know how to put pics on the forum yet, but I could send you some via email. Have visions of a great Hosta garden, but my family thinks I've lost my mind to take on such a project at almost 80 yrs. But gardening is what I live for.
    Sunnywood, thanks for the endorsement for NHH. Think they give a 15% discount for early orders.
    Last but not least COLL- You were my inspiration for my new bed when I saw your tiered section in your thread "Same Old, Same Old", Have it on my "bookmarks" Just beautiful Thanks!
    Well thanks everybody for your advice and encouragement. I'll be on this machine all weekend looking at things. Better go now. Forgot to feed the dog until she nudged me to tell me to "get off that d--n machine and take care of me instead.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I can't remember where I saw this, but it's a great quote:

'Live longer, grow hostas.' : )

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Jane, I'm taking away as much from your thread as you are probably.....because I just explored Glenbrook Nursery to mailorder at least two more hosta I've had on my wish list for a couple of years. I cannot believe my good luck at finding them.

And I suppose I'm almost 80 as well, being in the "high 70s" at this time. But Don is right, live longer, grow hosta. Just watch out about tossing those big bags of pine bark around, you'll pull your back. And I have a great "dolly" for moving pots, BIG ones, or multiple bags of mulch. Best piece of gardening equipment I ever gave myself....except for a nice 4-wheel wagon. Yeah, my garden is on a small suburban lot also. I'm pleased to note that you are finding a lot of nooks to embellish your property with the most beautiful kind of garden, one that can not bother you all winter, but be ready to go come spring. I've about had it with tender subtropicals that wimp out when it goes below freezing and I have to shroud them with winter coats. :) If they die they die, more room for hosta...eh? (I picked that up from my Canadian friends)

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Jane, thank you for saying so, that is very nice of you. I am thinking of adding a new tier to that area this Spring...it would go under the other two, so I have to remove some ferns. I feel like I have to give some of my current hostas some room to stretch out, so sadly I wont be adding anything new. Although never say never- this winter has been so harsh I am dreading casualties.

• User
    10 years ago

Jane, I ran across some information I'd clipped last October from a post to GWeb Hosta Forum, did not save the entire entry, just what I was interested in. But, since it is in the western NY area, you might be able to use the info.
    (quote)
    RAN LYDELL IN W.NY HOSTA SOCIETY
    EAGLE BAY HOSTA GARDENS

If you are not on Lydell's mailing list, eee him at ranbl@netsync.net or
    phone him at 716 366-8844. (tHIS INFO FROM 1999)
    COOK'S NURSERY OR EAGLE BAY GARDENS
    (end quote)

Hope you can run this down

• JANE100
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mocc: Yes, I know Ran Rydell. Sat with him & his wife at one of our breakfasts.. They go to Fla. for the winter. I'm just starting get to know the people from the club but I've already had an offer from some people to help me in the spring to put my new garden together. I just joined the WNYHS this past fall so I haven't had a chance to go to many of their "gardens". Mike & Kathy Shadrack , pres. of our society have a beautiful place called Smug Creek Gardens.. Some of the pics. in Kathy's book about small Hostas were from their place. . I want to visit both of them this spring/summer .