Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Golden Meadows'...Good in the garden?

Posted by Don_in_Colorado 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 22:45

Hello everyone,

As I saw during the hosta alphabet, at least a couple of us have 'Golden Meadows' I have one on order. Just wondering how it is as a garden resident. Obviously it's incredibly beautiful, but is it a 'Diva'? Or does it grow OK without being pampered? It's SO beautiful it makes me suspicious LOL That's all.
Thanks,
Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 6:18

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Golden Meadows'...Good in the garden?

I have found it pest and trouble free. No slug evidence and it is not a sulker.
I does green up somewhat during summer, but it's spring colours are so drop-dead gorgeous that I could forgive it anything. Put it in a place where you will really notice it in spring.

o

I've had it for two years, it is a steady grower (but not fast) for me, survived our drought just fine and didn't seem to be bothered by the pests (climbing cutworm) we had last year. I love this one!

Sandy

o

Sounds like this hosta could quickly become a new favorite of mine...

o

It is one of my favorites. Since it grows in Texas, it should be easy to grow just about anywhere else.

o

Golden Meadows has been a nice growing hosta in Iowa.
Placed in morning sun will help keep the light colors in the center longer into the season. Photo taken 2010 and has since doubled.

o

Golden Meadows is a very nice hosta,but is very slow growing,as is all hostas with Sieboldiana in their background. Mine is very nice in the spring,but greens up quickly later on. Phil

o

A real show-off first thing in spring but darkens quickly in my garden. I have it planted in a northern exposure under spruce trees, so it doesn't get a lot of sun. I would put it where it can be easily enjoyed but wouldn't make it the center of attention. It caught my attention at a nursery in spring. Had I seen it later in the season I probably wouldn't have bought it. It is pest resistant (slugs, earwigs, cutworms). All things said I haven't regretted buying mine.

This my only picture taken on May 23 last spring.

o

irawon, I agree GM is quite different when it greens up, though I would argue that if I saw it in the all greened up form in a nursery, it would still catch my eye. As a collector, how many are there that look like this.......
Hosta 'Golden Meadows' photo HostaGoldenMeadows20809-003.jpg

I try to imagine what it will look like all filled in and mature.
Paul

o

Paul, point well taken. I believe I need to contrast mine with a bright yellow as you have done!

o

Tic, tic, tic...is Ken okay?

o

Even the all-green form looks great to me, with the strangely-ruffled edges and all...

Don B.

o

Indeed, what Golden Meadow does with its frilly leaf margins puts Embroidery to shame. And it does it all year long. Me, I like the greens. What I observed with my GM was that the middle sort of streaked as it greened, eventually making the middle an all over green a slight shade lighter than the ruffled margins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here