Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If I may pick your brains...

Posted by unbiddenn 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 22:46

Time for preseason ordering. I've watched the alphabet, drooling. I've looked at hundreds of hostas online, narrowing my list. What i am looking for is a large, yellow leaved variety, with the shape of Kossa Regal, if there is such a thing. If there isn't, I could use recommendations for large yellows, that do not start out, or turn green. it is going in an all shade, no sun at all, spot, already planted with blues and greens and darker plantings.
These are the larger yellows I already have, Delta Dawn, August Moon, Daybreak, Liberty, Paradigm, Sum & Substance, and a pathetic Zounds.
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If I may pick your brains...

'Gold Regal' may be what the doctor ordered, unbiddenn. Check it out.

Don B.

o

Also, 'High Noon' you may want to look at.

Don B.

o

Some I wrote down last year as recommendations were Sun Power, Pidemont Gold and Daybreak. It was a discussion about yellows. But that's what I intend to order. I don't have those yet, though.

Of course I'm in zone 8, but my first year Key West fried in morning sun. I'll move it to more shade this year. It grew well, though and made pods it's first year, which makes me look.

It was the first Olga I knowingly bought. I already had Brother Stephan and Niagara Falls, but did not know they were Olgas when I acquired them.

I'm hopeful that Key West will do well for me, too.

bk

o

Krugerrand is a large upright yellow, disclamer - I don't have it ...yet!

o

Here's an early July pic of Krugerrand in it's third year.

Paul

o

Nice, Paul!

o

All suggestions are wonderful.
And another one to toss into the golden look in the shade:

Squash Casserole. I came to appreciate it last year, when it suddenly grew so beautiful I couldn't stand it. It got some morning light, dappled though. I did not move it all year, it seemed to like where it was. Here are some comparisons of leaf color early and late, and the overall appearance.
April
IMG_20130423_115332.jpg
June
DSCN8458
July (in the background)
Garden13July0198

and a different camera, which greened it up, but not any different actually
September
IMG_20130904_173659.jpg

o

Yes, Mocc. I ordered a Squash Casserole. Your's did so well, I had to have one.

bk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here