Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daisy Doolittle, is it fragrant or not?

Posted by moccasinlanding z9A AL (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 23:02

I was checking all the catalogs for descriptions of this small hosta, including MyHostas.be website.

Daisy Doolittle is included in Bob Solberg's catalog this year but does not mention fragrance. Unknown heritage. Neither does MyHosta.BE mention fragrance. Neither does HOSTAFINDER 2013 indicate "f" for fragrant--but then it leaves off the "f" from several hosta known or shown as fragrant in other literature.

So. My question is for those who grow this small hosta. Have you noticed fragrance with Daisy Doolittle?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daisy Doolittle, is it fragrant or not?

The registry lists it as fragrant.

Steve

o

It's on Don Rawson's list of fragrant hosta.

Don B.

o

To my knowledge, it is not fragrant. It would be a big deal if it was, as it would be the smallest fragrant hosta.

o

Josh, I was wondering after I looked at Bob Solberg's description of it, because he says that Sugar Babe is the SMALLEST FRAGRANT HOSTA. ( I have it, it is small.)

I know that Don Rawson's list of Fragrant Flowered Hosta has Daisy Dolittle listed as fragrant--perhaps because as SteveMass points out, it is listed as fragrant in its registration.

However, another anomaly.....on his website, Bob Solberg is mum about its fragrant virtues. Implying there are none? Because he does a lot of work with the fragrant hosta. That's what prompted my question.

I'm just curious, trying to bring myself a little peace, since I might have to acquire Daisy if she has a fragrance.

Once I get all the less costly fragrant ones, and my garden is full, and I only can buy a couple a year, that's when I'll seek out the costlier hosta....won't hurt as much that way.
That's my plan and I'm stickin' to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: HostaLibrary: D....look for Daisy Dolittle

o

I'm sure if it was fragrant, Bob would have mentioned it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here