Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ludiciousacres

Raspberry Sundae, the Ultimate Comfort Food

Ludicious Acres
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since my last update, but I did manage to pop in over at the 'Face It' thread yesterday. :P

I am sad to report I've been in Winterland Hell these past two weeks. :(

As most of you know I live in Philadelphia, which by no means is renowned for its voracious winters. Normally, we sit anywhere between 25-40 F from Dec to the end of Feb. Given those temps, when we do get any snow accumulation it is minimal and melts in a couple days.

WELL, NOT THIS YEAR !!! I know that others have been having abnormally low temps given their average, but seriously IT'S FRIGID !!! 5-10 F are not habitable conditions for a human, call me a wuss, but that is too cold for my taste.

But as we say around here . . . "Suck it up, Buttercup" . . . so I did.

I put on three more pairs of socks, a knit hat, second pair of gloves and long johns. Ok, so it's cold, but I'm bundled to the teeth and can still feel all my appendages . . . this is progress . . . I'm winning . . . HA, I BEAT THE COLD !!!

But THEN it started snowing, and not just the piddly amounts we are accustomed too, but INCHES at a time !!!

For d@mn near two weeks we had snow almost everyday ! Last I checked we were at well over 50 inches of total accumulation in 2014.That's not even a full two months, INSANE !!!

OH, and let me not forget the massive ice storm that raged for almost half a day and knocked down so many trees and branches that whole blocks (for miles) were without power for almost 4 days !!! Fortunately, we were spared and managed to only lose internet, but it was tough for a lot of people. God Bless 'em.

So I come to you now, withered, cold, and humbled by our cruel mistress, Mother Nature. In times of despair we look to things that comfort us . . . what better than Dessert !!!

Just so happens, I brought some along as a Thank You for listening to my whine fest. It's Raspberry Sundae, mmmmmm.

Sadly, it is not my recipe. Those rights belong to Terra Nova and the ingredients are a safely guarded secret.

Mine came to me new this year from Naylor. I first discovered it on the Hosta Library and knew immediately I had to have it (I was drawn to the name, originally).

The petioles are freckled red, as if dribbled with Raspberry Syrup, and your eye can't help but follow them up to that fluffy white middle. :)

I know I have a huge bias for White Middle Hostas, but this is one cultivar that everyone should seriously consider. It remains an upright small at maturity and I personally plan to use it in a mixed urn I have stashed in the garage. It would also be fantastic front and center in a mixed border.

As far as the myth that White Middles are hard to grow (yes, some really are) this one gave me little fuss all year. IN FACT, it came to me a bit rotted from being in Gary's freezer too long after emerging, but only thrived once potted up in some natural light. A tough little cookie . . . . . dja' see what I did there . . . dessert humor. :p

Pushing my typically long winded introduction aside, I give you Raspberry Sundae (as she was in 2013).

And Thanks again for listening. I know this winter (like those before it) will pass and I will get to indulge myself in foliage soon enough, but d@mn if my patience hasn't been tried and found guilty.

Here's to Spring !

Ludi

We start off fresh from Naylor, the day she arrived. I peeled off the rotted leaves before potting and you can see how pale they are from the lack of light.

Rest assured, I called Gary immediately. He apologized profusely, offering to send me a replacement, but I saw nothing wrong with the crown so I told him I would pot it up and call him back if I had any problems.

Slowly she wakes up and the colors start to fill in.

Mmmmmm, fluffy white middle

Then BAM she takes off with a massive push of leaves. At this point, I have all but forgotten about the freezer burn. With growth like this . . . who cares !!! :)

Later in August . . . DELICIOUS !!!

You got a bit on your chin there . . . who has a napkin ?

Comments (10)

• hostanista
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ludi, Ludi, Ludi, you had me salivating reading that title and I was all ready to debate you over "Chocolate vs. Raspberry" - chocolate wins hands down, by the way - and then you switched gears and we were all about hostas again....

It's almost midnight, I should be in bed, but I'M HUNGRY!!!

Beautiful hosta by the way.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Well, that one has never really appealed to me until now. Man, I don't even like raspberries! But I think Raspberry Sundae just landed on my list...sigh. I think I've just been enabled and this one isn't adding anything to the waist! Sweet!!!!!! :)

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

While you are at it, also look at h.'Raspberry Sorbet' and 'Raspberry Parfait' in the Hosta Library. I have R.Sorbet, and it has those beautiful flowers over the wavy leaves. Bernd

• gardens1
    10 years ago

Mmm... I prefer strawberry, but raspberry will do! My DH drives truck for a living (not what he would like to be doing) and called this morning saying that in the Harrisburg, PA area there was a good foot of snow on the ground. In all his years of driving truck, he has never seen that kind of accumulation there. But when he tired of hearing the complaints about the amount of snow, he couldn't help it. He told them they ought to see the 3 feet of snow on the level that he had left at home! When asked where the heck home was for him, he replied, 'Ontario'. They then rolled their eyes and said, 'Oh, you're from THERE...!'

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

I found a pot of this one late last year and really liked it, she flowered in september with lovely deep red raspbery scapes and deep purple flowers. looking forward to seeing what she does for me this year. sorry no pics.

P.S. I prefer raspberry over strawberry.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Ludi, Would you like some cheese with that whine?*

Your Raspberry Sundae grew well. Looks interesting. White middles aren't doing well for me so far, except NBC, of course.

(*That's what my chirpractor asked me last week.)

bk

• esther_b
    10 years ago

I also have a Raspberry Sundae. Which, with all my other plants, is buried under at least 18" of snow. There was a little thawing yesterday and today, but I can't see ANY sign of any plant, bush, you name it. Just a big fat layer of white snow. I am so sick of snow and ice, and walking and driving through same. I hardly know the color green any more.

Waiting impatiently for spring!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

From here on in, I'll look at my Raspberry Sundae in a new light! What an entertaining and creative way to introduce a hosta, lol. Way to go, Ludi! That is some excellent growth in one season! It really is a pretty hosta, isn't it?
    I'm hoping for good growth this year as mine is new also...with only four leaves when I got it. :-)

Bernd, I looked up Raspberry Sorbet and it is really lovely...all dark and shiny, and wavy...add those gorgeous flowers and it definitely gets a wow. I added it to my want list! Thank you.

• User
    10 years ago

Ah, Ludi, I'd of been drooling for it, except today we ate with a friend who is a great cook, including dessert, so I'm not tempted to make a move toward anything tasty.

Your hosta fantasy here in midwinter...hmmm, beg pardon, here in LATE WINTER, is timely. We love to have a well told story sitting all cozy around a nice fire.....

It was warm here today, but foggy and rainy, so I'm thinking it won't be long before I see some pips in the pots laying like fallen firewood across the back garden. My dilemma is the house remodel is due to start, maybe the hosta will keep me from going crazy.

Come on spring!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Beautiful plant, Ludi! Thanks for posting these great pics. You'll probably think 'DUH' when you read this part, but it's now on the 'must-have' list.

Oh yeah, stop whining. ; P

Cheers!
    Don B.