Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Hosta Alphabet P - Winter 2012

paul_in_mn
12 years ago

Pleased as punch....make mine Pineapple Punch please

Please add pics of your hostas that begin with the letter 'P'

Peppermint Ice, a hybrid of William Lachman x montana - 2nd year

Pandora's Box, a sport of Baby Bunting - potted it up last summer and it responded very well

Pamela Lee, a sport of Radiant Edger - 2nd year

Paul

Comments (20)

• junco1102
    12 years ago

I am finding that I do not have a lot of close up pictures of individual hostas. I'll have to do better this summer. Here are a couple:

Paradigm

Paul's Glory

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

All first year.

Purple Boots

Piedmont Gold, I really like the shape and structure of this plant.

Paul's Glory, really struggled for me in the Spring but then started growing in August.

Paradigm, showing new growth late in the year as well, and maybe sporting.

Steve

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I like that Pamela Lee. It's different.

My P's:

Pandora's Box

Patriot (youngin')

Peanut

Pilgrim

Pineapple Punch

Pineapple Upsidedown Cake

Pixie Vamp

Popcorn

Prairie Sky

Praying Hands

Karen

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Karen,

That's the best presentation of Praying Hands I've ever seen. Is that Creeping Jenny in the pot with it?

Steve

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Yes it is, golden creeping jenny. It looks nicer later in the season when the jenny fills up the pot spills over its edge. Thank you!

Karen

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

Karen, I was thinking the same thing as Steve. You got a wonderful angle on Praying Hands. I also liked the Pamela Lee. It looks like a mini version of Dark Shadows.

Here are some of my 'p's'

Picture taken during the 15 minutes it shows purple. Doesn't matter, it turned into a nice plant for the rest of the year too.

Does anyone else have this one? This is it's third year. It's been a wonderfully fast grower and shows very well at the entrance to my driveway. This year it got completely ragged by the middle of July. I don't know if it was the weather of what but is that typical?

This is one of the one's that goes very white in the center by the end of the season. It's grown like a weed.

This is still my favorite Hosta name.

Sorry there are so many. I've tried to limit it to 6 or 8 but it's nearing the end of the alphabet and I'm loosing my resolve. Wait till we get to the 'r's' !

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    12 years ago

Paradise Joyce

Patriot

Paradigm

the other Steve

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    12 years ago

Here's a few of mine....

'Pacific Blue Edger' This is a fast grower, can see why the 'edger' was incorporated in the name, it went from a single shoot to what you see here in 3 years. Fertile too.

Man, do I LOVE 'Paradise Island' for its bright colour in the spring.

'Pineapple Upsidedown Cake' looks best for me in the spring. By the time summer rolled around last year it started to burn-out; that may well be due to its placement -near full sun- and this year it'll get different exposure.

Pieter

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    12 years ago

Hey Pieter,

Your Pacific Blue Edger caught my eye since I grow it too. As you say, it's a good grower. But I think the "edger" part of the name comes from the fact that, as it matures, it forms a perfect compact mound. I don't use mine as an edger (I only have two), but I can see how someone might choose to plant a row of several.

the other Steve

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Paradigm
    {{gwi:942112}}
    Patriot's Fire
    {{gwi:942113}}
    Pineapple Punch
    {{gwi:942115}}
    {{gwi:942116}}
    Prairie Sky
    {{gwi:942118}}
    Prairie Sky flower
    {{gwi:942119}}
    Ptaying Hands
    {{gwi:942121}}

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Hey Frank, I see your Praying Hands has a few leaves with some white streaks going through them. I'd keep an eye on it and see what it does for you. Maybe a new sport?

Karen

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Two of the plants in that group have the white lines in the middle of the leaves. It has been that way for a couple of years now. I used to have it divided but put the plants back together last year.
    {{gwi:936890}}
    {{gwi:942122}}

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

How tall are those Praying Hands? I saw it at the arboretum last summer. It was holding up pretty well to the heat, but it seems like it was only about 8" tall. Karen's looks taller than that. Is it just the pot?

bkay

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I'd say mine stands a good 12" tall, maybe slightly taller.

Those with the white lines look interesting, but doesn't look like all the leaves get them. I wonder if eventually they'll all get the white lines as the plant matures, or if it's always going to be that way?

Karen

• franknjim
    12 years ago

I think mine is about 10" tall. I had read somewhere that there is a method of removing unwanted eyes on a hosta that show signs of sporting to further the chances of the whole plant sporting.

• sshoop1zone4a
    12 years ago

Love the color in the spring

Still looks good later in the summer when the blooms come

Not as big as some since I got it as a tissue culture but is growing well

New late last year

Sport of Guacamole so I hope it grows well

Looking forward to see the spring color this year

Samantha

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    12 years ago

A young Paul's Glory

Paradise Expectations

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Found another P.

Pixie Vamp. Just got this last year as part of a mini collection on the Hosta Library Auction from NC.
    {{gwi:942134}}

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Paradise Power in the center,along with Dawn's Early Light,and Sum of All. Phil in NC

{{gwi:942136}}

• User
    12 years ago

Here comes my little PATRIOT out of the pot with a bunch of potential purplish eyes breaking through the soil and a couple of leaves unfurling.