Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Hosta Alphabet K - Winter 2012

paul_in_mn
12 years ago

Keep it under your hat.... Or better yet ....plant it on the driveway, it'll grow.

- K of Michigan

Please add pics of your hostas that begin with the letter 'K'

Kifukurin Ko Mame, a sport of gracillima - 1st year

Korean Snow, a yingeri seedling - 1st year

kikutii caput-avis, a species - 3rd year, low habit and low held scapes

Paul

Comments (9)

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I have only one:

Kiwi Full Monty

Karen

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    12 years ago

Krossa Regal (in 2010)

the other Steve

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

Karen -- Your Kiwi Full Monte is beautiful. What is the ground cover surrounding it? Does it have significant flowers? How tall does it get?
    Jan

• sshoop1zone4a
    12 years ago

Not too many in the K's

Looks a lot lighter in the spring

Gets darker and very shiny later in the summer

This one finally started to grow last year so I am hoping it is even better this year.

Samantha

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

Who knew I needed to have this one? I'd never even heard of it. Jack (Naylor Creek) brought it to the Bainbridge Island sale last year. It really impressed me and I was happy with where I put it between Wide Brim and Rascal. The color and texture are great.

This is the fourth year. It was a 2008 purchase from Naylor and has been such a great grower.

Another one I didn't know I had to have. It was also bought at the Bainbridge Island sale. This is at the furthest spot so far in my woods garden. It's under a cedar tree but in the largest size of the spinout bag. I don't know if that will do forever. Does anyone know?

The last one standing for me for the last several years.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

That's a gorgeous Key Lime Pie, Myrle. Don't know about how the Key West will do in the spin out bag. I think you've got a few years before it gets really big. But it will get some size to it. Here's a fairly mature one from the garden of Bob and Diane Adams, but I don't think even this one is full sized.

You can always buy another large Spin Out bag and sew the two together.

Steve

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Thanks, Jan! The ground cover is leadwort, false plumabago, or by its Latin name, Ceratostigma plumbaginoides. It blooms starting in August all the way into fall and has pretty blue flowers. The leaves turn different shades of red and purple in the fall and dies back to the ground. It has a tendency to want to swallow up my hostas, so I trim it back every so often, so one should only use this around taller hostas, in my opinion.

Karen

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

Thanks Karen -- Sure enough I found it in one of my perennial books, but I really can't remember ever seeing it. Very pretty -- I have a spot where it would look great.
    Jan

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Here is my "drift" of Kiwi Full Monties. The 2 larger ones were planted in 2008,and 2009,then I planted a third,because I like them so much. The third one will be 3 this year,and I hope eventually they will all touch each other,the way the two large ones do now. Phil

{{gwi:942563}}