Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

Do you have Irish Luck? (especially today!)

hostanista
10 years ago

I've ordered this one for May delivery, love its dark green shine - would like to see any pics you may have of it and to know whether it's doing well for you.

Anyone have any other "Irish" hostas to show off on this St. Paddy's Day?

This post was edited by Hostanista on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 9:41

Comments (24)

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

I don't have this one yet but its on the list love the shine too.

Happy Paddy's Day to you all and on that note I'll leave this here lol.

(I don't want to derail your thread, just see this as a public service announcement lol)

Here is a link that might be useful: Paddy not Patty, Please stop with the Patty!

• jimr66
    10 years ago

This Irish Luck is in its 2nd year in my garden. It seems to be quite vigorous. The first year it got smoked in too much sun

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the education Mountain Man! I cringe at misspellings so I'm glad to learn of this quirk about St. Patrick. Edited original post! And I'll bet no one in Ireland drinks green beer either!

And thanks for the advice jimr66 - I'll make sure to plan her in the right spot.

And now for that green beer....(hmmm...maybe I'll wait until after noon.....)

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Very informative,Mountain man! I'm not Irish,and I definitely have no luck! Phil

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I really want that one. I bought one last year, griped about the size of it, so they sent me another one. Then, I ordered one from Chris this winter, so I'll be really set with Irish Luck. I can use all the luck I can get.

bk

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

Irish Luck end of last May. It did well, but I will move it forward this year since I placed it too close to Magic Fire.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Terri your Magic Fire sure looks an awful like Liberty. You might want to check it out

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I am pleased to say I have Irish Luck gave to me two seasons ago from Myrle
    Happy St Patrick day to all the Irish or ones that wish they were

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

I just checked out MF and L and SAGAE. On the library .they sure look alike . Particularly MFN and L. My MF dose not have such a wide border. Hopefully it will develop one.

10 years ago

Hostanista, as they say around here "yer a mighty woman", in an exclamation of high aproval lol!

No self respecting Irish person would consume green beer yuk, we leave that to the tourists with their fake ginger beards and leprechaun hats.

Here is a link that might be useful: A nice song for the day thats in it.

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    10 years ago

I got mine last year and it practically doubled over the summer...I may be convinced it's actually a weed.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ Mountain_Man - I passed on the green beer and instead had meeself a true Irish Coffee aye I did! And you misspelled "approval". LOL!!!
    Signed,
    Mighty Woman

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I loved my 'Irish Luck' and so did the voles...I'll get another. It's a great-looking hosta.

As long as we're doin' this, here's a pet peeve...A guy from Scotland, he's a Scotsman, not a Scotchman! Scotch is a stinkin' drink! (Although Irishmen may have a completely different name they like to call guys from Scotland, especially during football (soccer) games...Or am I way off base here, Denis? ; ) heh heh heh, didn't think so...

Don B.

10 years ago

Hostanista, I hate to tell you that Irish coffee was invented in the 1940's for the tourists in Foynes in county limerick boarding the flying boat for Newfoundland, lol, I'm full of carp usless information.

As for the spelling mistake, well as we say it could happen to a bishop! lol. (refering to a former Catholic bishop of galway who had an "accident" with a woman!)

Don, true about the "scotchman" also Its spelt whiskey here in Ireland and whisky in scotland,It derives from uisce beatha meaning the water of life, more usless info lol.

I'm not sure what name you are refering to, I know that there is a lot of sectarian carp mixed up in Scotish football which is spill over of Northern Ireland "stuff", is that what you mean? Generally Ireland has good relations with scotland. Mabey I am overthinking this lol.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Sorry Denis, bad joke; I was just thinking maybe Irishmen and Scotsmen call each other choice names during football matches; just a lame attempt at a sports joke, nothing meant politically or religiously at all.

Don B.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Speaking of Scotch, the pine is not a Scotch Pine, it is a Scots Pine (Pinus sylvestris). Often mislabeled here in the States.

tj

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Great point, TJ. I can't believe I actually knew that, too. Something I read years ago. Your post made me recall it instantly.

Speaking of Scotch, I think I'll have a drink. : )

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

And MY "Irish luck" held tonight when HIMSELF said I made a perfect Irish or New England BOILED DINNER.

But here is the best I can do in the hosta line.....

and not to forget Celtic Uplands

10 years ago

Ah I see Don, Comedy isnt your day job is it? lol.

Yes flying insults and profanities back and forth is part of our culture and not just in a sporting context either. To insult a stranger is a no no, but to your family and friends its seen as endeering and cements a group together. It is said that it hasn't been a good wedding or funeral or whatever til there's been a bit of a scrap.

The wit you can hear in the football stands sometimes could make you wet yourself. I'm more of a rugby fan myself though.

tsugajunkie, its quite often misslabled here too.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

And, it's Scots-Irish, not scotch-irish. they are not Irish. They are Scots.

bk

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I have a better Irish luck today as my grandson and his wife gave birth to a baby boy on the 17th but he is only about 10% Irish

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Congratulations, Faye. You don't look old enough to be a great-grandmother, though.

Don B.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Congrats on your great-grandson Faye! I hope they named him Patrick!

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Awh thanks Don ! I didn't think I was old enough either but stuff happens fast sometimes. Also got my two new Siamese altered too, so was quite a day lol
    Now it is snowing for crying out loud