Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lykaon78

Root bags for planting under maples

A year or two ago I remember reading (at this forum I think) about someone using cloth bags with an anti root treatment to plant hosta under a maple tree. Basically the hosta was planted inside a bag with the anti root coating facing out to dissuade the maple roots from invading the hosta.

Anyone remember this or better yet tried it?

I'm striking out with a forum search and Google search.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

A lot of people here on the forum have done this. But you might mean the thread linked at the bottom. They're called spin out bags or root control bags. You can get them here.

Tex R Agroliner Root Control Bags

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting using spin out bags

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

its amazing what you can find with the GW search .. up near the top ... when someone gives you the right term ... meaning .. we are happy to give you the right search term ...

review a few of the posts there .. to gather a bit of a foundation of knowledge.. and then come on back to discuss the finer points ....

good luck with it all

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Lykaon - Ohio Zone 6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! This was the exact post I remember.

I was searching for maple and hosta on this forum and my google search was turning up anti-root fabric for much larger applications.

My house was built on farm land and we're fortunate to have a small creek in the back yard. The creek bank opposite our house is filled with Honeysuckle trees. I hate the trees with a passion but we've left them in place because they're thick enough to block our view of the neighbors from April through November.

I'm guessing that if these will work for maples they'll work for honeysuckle too.

• gardenfanatic2003
    12 years ago

Steve, be sure and let us know how the hostas in the bags do this year.

Deanna

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

lykaon78, I would be interested in your (and of course others) experience this past year using this product.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Rouge

Here are pics of the Gold Standard and Frances Williams that I have in spin out bags. I use the 10 gallon size for large plants.

This is FW. It's a 2 year old plant.

Here's GS. This plant is fully mature.
    {{gwi:942724}}

This is the second year for both plants in spin out bags.

Steve

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

well.. if steve does it.. so it is written .. lol

now.. if you get the treated ones.. turn then inside out.. so the treatment is on the tree side of the bag ...

ken

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I also have areas with some root competition, just ordered 5 10 gal bags from Wild Rose Distributing to try them out in spring. They are a good Xmas present!
    Bernd

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

I tried the spin-out bags, and although they work okay I bought a 100' by 4' roll of the TEX-R fabric and find it's easier to use (cut to tailor to size) and cheaper in the long run if you have lots of tree roots.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

Just curious - do you have to dig up the bags and refresh the soil every so often? Will adding fertilizer do instead?

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

Will voles destroy the bags trying to get at the hosta roots? Is there a life expectancy of a bag in use?
    Theresa & Les

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

I can't answer either question but I recently saw an article where both Spin-Out bags and wire cages were used to protect hostas. The article didn't state there was evidence the bags had been penetrated by voles.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I will add a lot of compost to the soil when filling the bag in the hole. Sure, all hostas like some fertilizer, now the tree roots can't get at the fertilizer though.

I hope the fabric has some life expectancy similar to landscape fabric, i.e. 10 years. Tex-r is a needle-punched non-woven fabric and also used in permanent plantings to keep weeds out, see the link.
    Bernd

Here is a link that might be useful: Tex-r fabric used in Spinout bags

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

Just curious - do you have to dig up the bags and refresh the soil every so often?

I wondered that myself. If one selects the big enough bag and puts in great soil amendments then technically it doesn't matter what the surrounding soil is like...I know I am being facetious but it could be even...concrete ;)?