Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Venus outgrew her digs

User
10 years ago

Last year Venus was not all that massive when she arrived here. I put her in a regular 6 -8 inch pot. Imagine my surprise to discover that long roots emerged from all 4 potholes, extending about 3 inches.

So I took her out of the pot.

....and I teased her mass of roots which filled a much larger pot than expected

Now she looks ready for the season ahead.

Comments (11)

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Wow! She loves that Alabama sunshine!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

guess you have a point there, Jadie. the pot was a bit small for her. there are others with roots all over their pots, but Venus was headed for the big outdoors.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I love it when they tell you to "re-pot me". I have a few of those this year. It restores confidence after finding a few that didn't make it. You must be doing something right. Hooray!

-Babka

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Whoah! That root mass is screaming "I'm happy!" Way to go Mocc - that's the kind of growth all of us hosta lovers love to see!

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Geez,Mocc,you should plant that plant in the ground! I understand that Plantaginea,and their progeny like hotter climates. My Plantaginea has never grown well up here,despite being in a warmer climate. Phil

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

My Venus didn't do well. It was fried in transit and never fully recovered. Where did you get it, Mocc?

bk

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Outstanding, Mocc. Hope it keeps doing great. That is one hosta I don't have. (anymore). I've failed miserably so far with plantaginea sports, the two I had died in my care. Of course, I'll try, try again. Mama p. herself, she grew just fine for me last year. Hope to see her emerging real soon. : )

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BK, I found this one at Mason Hollow up in New Hampshire. I ordered it mid June last year for $18. Have not checked the HostaFinder2014 to see who offers it nor the prices.

Phil, I have an experimental bed of hosta in the ground. As of yesterday I saw no pips from any of the hosta there. Actually, I'm thinking it may have been much too wet for them this year, even though I raised the bed and put a layer of pine bark nuggets at the bottom for drainage. My S&S, Empress Wu, Love Pat, Blue Angel, Patriot & Minuteman, Golden Tiara, Millie's Memoirs, Wheaton Blue, and a couple others are in it. I'll give them another week before I go poking around looking for noses.

Don, I have 8 species plantaginea, but only my first one (from 2010 PDN) do I call "Mama." The other 7 come from various places. I always try different sources to see if that might make a difference in the durability in this climate.

I chatted with an old neighbor (when I lived at MoccasinLanding) and told her I was growing hosta....she is a Master Gardener....and she just immediately dismissed it as being an impossibility. That's when I told her I'd love to show her my hosta garden around June, early in the month. I know it was a fantasy land last year. It is bound to amaze her.

We sure do have the humidity.....there are many places which have hotter temps than we do here in Mobile, but you cannot get higher than 100% humidity! Just remember to ensure GOOD AIR CIRCULATION so the babies don't drown. Or succumb to southern blight.

Well, I have a new wireless keyboard to type with, and a new wireless mouse to go with it. Back in business!

Here is Venus in November 2013.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Mocc, how I would love to see your old neighbour/master gardener's jaw drop when she gets a look at all your hosta...not only do you grow them well, you grow them by the hundreds! Send her pics, share your joy! :-)

I'm curious as to how long before pips are emerging in driveway bed...also curious about soil temp in that bed at this time of year, Alabama style.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Impossibility'? Ha ha ha ha haha.....HA!

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm, I just typed a message and scrolled up to see it, kaput, totally gone. Very strange, is anyone else having difficulty with the new GWeb page?