Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

YAY!! Signs of life!!!

brandys_garden
10 years ago

After a rough winter, I checked on my hostas today by gently brushing off some top soil to check for signs of life and Spring.... And, I am happy to report that 11 of my hostas have signs of life so far. Maybe more and they were just a little deeper. All of my patio babies (with Luna Moth from Hallson's included) and also around the patio babies, including Wheee , U. Albomarginata, Orange Marmalade, Mama Mia and 2 Paul's glory's are showing signs of life. I am a little concerned about my El Nino from Hallson's. I didn't see any pips. They may be deeper, though so I am not too worried just yet! But I am excited for Spring... My babies made it after a LONG and rough winter!

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

someone was wondering about you last week or so ...

i hope you put the media back.. that you brushed off ....

though we are all high with expectation ... there is no advantage to getting them out too fast ... all those late frost and freezes ...

of course.. with yours all potted.. you have options to hide them.. when the overnight temps threaten ...

ken

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Well, here in 6a there are few signs of Spring. This is from a walk this morning.

No smores here for a while

Trail around an abandoned cranberry bog project that was never completed.

Further along

Pretty though.

Frozen pond that was to be the water supply for the bogs.

Dug out area for one of the proposed bogs adjacent to my property. Great wildlife sanctuary.

Sick of winter, but nothing to complain about on the walk.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

VERY pretty, Johnnyb!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Thanks Josephine, it has all melting away now except for the piles that were there before.
    Jon

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Hey, Brandy! Nice to see you back! Can't wait to see pics of how much your hostas will have grown this year. Do you keep track of number of eyes as they emerge, by any chance? And...I wonder how our Wheee! will emerge...it'll be fun to see evidence of its crazy curliness early on, I hope.

Everything good at school?

Jo

• JANE100
    10 years ago

Hi Brandy, Ken was right. I was the one asking about you last week. I'm a newcomer to the forum , just since around Dec. or Jan. I've been lurking on the forum since last summer and fall, and decided to go whole hog with joining the local Hosta society, the AHS. and the forum. I always looked forward to seeing your pics, because I have some of the same ones. Mine are just new since the fall, but I have already been "Hostasized" by everyone on the forum. Glad to see you back and look fwd. to seeing your "garden".

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, yes of course I covered them back up!! I don't think winter is done yet!! Though I know we are all hopeful. Last year, they had already come up through the soil just before the ice storm so I had to cover them up.
    Josephine, no I didn't count eyes this time. I just unbrushed enough (about half an inch down) to see any signs of life. Once spotted, I covered it back up. I'll let you know when they emerge and post pics of them. I saw a couple of pips or eyes on Wheee already though.
    Thank you Jane... I look forward to yours, too!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hi Brandy! May I suggest a 'Guacamole' with that lovely potted garden? They are quite handsome, grow with vigor, and their blooming flowers smell like PEZ candy!

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Guacamole' is calling you. Click the link to see...

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hahaha Don! Right now, I am just hoping all of them come back. I know at least 13 are... Once they all come back and I know winter is finished, then I'll think about what I might add this year! But Guacamole is a nice one and I will keep it in mind!! Thanks!!

• Heather Macdonald
    10 years ago

"gently brush the snow away" I could do that if I dug down about 1 1/2 ft...! which is what I'll be doing any day now..I'm sooo anxious for spring, any little shoot, even a weed! Reading about your experiences is
    keeping me sane, thanks
    Heather

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH