Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_mass

Planting in Masses

In the favorite blues thread Ludi mentioned that he is going to move his three Elegans together into one grouping. For many of us who collect cultivars space is an issue and thus we have individual plants that we combine, but landscapers often use mass plantings very effectively in their designs. So do you have any Hostas planted in mass? I'll post some pictures I have from gardens I've visited.

Piedmont Gold from the garden of Rick Goodenough

Venus from the Adams garden. Must be fantastic when in bloom.

Halcyon from the Adams garden.

From Brashear and Meyer, I think this is Halcyon also.

Krossa Regal from the Seawright display garden.

Here's UK's pic from his thread of his 3 Liberty's planted together.

What have you got planted in mass?

Steve

Comments (25)

• leaflover76
    11 years ago

11 Honeybells

• leaflover76
    11 years ago

Started as 2 Guacamole. They multiplied quickly.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I once had mass plantings of hostas in my garden until I decided to go to more cultivars and replaced those masses. I had one long row of fortunei albomarginata. I had one plant in there with wide white border, it was a mistake to throw that one out.
    The American Hosta Society web site shows gardens with mass plantings.

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 15:53

• leaflover76
    11 years ago

I have found that mass plantings make quite the impression. I use it for hostas that I dont find particularly impressive on their own. Honeybells dont grab my attention but in my mass planting, it is a focal point to my front yard. I also have mass planted Plantiginea around the base of 2 trees and it then becomes an interesting feature. The hostas that are more "showy" I plant on their own cuz they seem to not need any help grabbing attention.

• User
    11 years ago

When I get ready to put hosta in the ground, I think I'll start with the many lanceolate smaller hosta that have many of the same characteristics and likely to look nice en masse. They may fit well near the daylilies but with more shade. Truthfully, they should not endure long or afternoon hours of our full sun which could parboil them. The combination of sun, high humidity, and water-filled tender leaves does not equal something likely to survive long.

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

A row of 'Fortunei Aureomarginata', quite old.

and a ring of lancifolia

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Q: What's better than your favorite hosta?
    A: 5 of your favorite hosta

A mass of Stiptease (5)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Just lancifolia...

..or sometimes one plant is a grouping...

montana Aureomarginata

tj

• hostanista
    11 years ago

About 9 Undulata Univitatta lining a flagstone pathway in (my previous) front yard. (middle of the photo). Shot taken from 2nd floor bedroom window.

• hostanista
    11 years ago

The same Undulata Univitatta at ground level.

• hostanista
    11 years ago

About 10 Lancifolia surrounding an old birch tree (and that's Chip and Dale keeping watch.)

• hostanista
    11 years ago

One small section of Lancifolias in bloom.

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

I have mass planted both Lancifolia and F. Aureo-- both in drifts and in rough to plant areas like deep under a lilac or among the large roots at the base of the black walnut. I am thinking of combining my 3 plantaginea together and my ventricosas.

I am trusting in Theresa to do a good job of taking pictures this summer so I have something to show-if I have something to show! You might find pictures of my gardens posted by her in the future if I can get her away from her potted hostas long enough to take pictures. She is HOOKED,and fighting a good fight. - LOL

Les

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

OK,per Ken,here is a pic of the closest thing to a mass planting I have. {{gwi:943197}}The only thing is,this pic would not go into my library,it just shows up beside my library. This pic is of two Stripteases,and the small one at the upper left is a Kiwi Full Monty,which looks like Striptease later in the year. Phil

• User
    11 years ago

All of those nice groupings show why hosta is the most popular garden plant around.....and on their humble qualities, a new kind of hosta is enchanting gardeners everywhere. But I can tell that there is a lot of life and beauty in the old hosta. The masses of blooms on Hostanista's lancifolias are gorgeous.And the undulata univittata with its white stripe variegation, also Hostanista's mass planting, looks great too--it was her photos that convinced me to buy U.univittata in the first place.

Perhaps my lone pots of both these hosta could stand supplementing. :)

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

A couple from the local Arboretum-

Aristocrat

Old Glory

Queen Josephine

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

And from a local garden-

Patriots border

Paul

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Paul , the Patriot border looks beautiful , (as the others )but that is a real eye grabber. Love it
    Faye

• mybrownthumbz6
    8 years ago

Ressurrecting this thread with hope that you all post more pictures of mass plantings. I have a row of patriot hostas planted in front of my porch. The photo Paul posted gets me excited for the years to come.

• bellarosa
    8 years ago

Beautiful pics everyone!

• luckyladyslipper
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hostanista, your old yard is totally gorgeous!! It must have been really hard to leave it. Are you working on a new one?

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    8 years ago

Was walking yesterday and saw this in the garden like area between the street.Looks like Elegans,they were beautiful and huge.

• mybrownthumbz6
    8 years ago

A neighbor's plantaginea.

• beverlymnz4
    8 years ago

If you don't have much room, how about a mass of mini's

Pandora's box.