Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimr66

High hopes for 2014.

jimr66
10 years ago

What newly purchased Hosta in 2013 are you most looking forward to see re-emerging in 2014??
I think mine is "Gentle Giant" It's supposed to be fast growing.
I put it into really good soil (Arnt's "gromax", mixed with Mushroom compost, manure and black topsoil) with a fair bit of Morning sun ( I read it is sun tolerant).
What is yours??
J.

Comments (18)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I bought several fairly mature hosta last year. I have high hopes that they will do well. I purchased Paul's Glory, OBL, Elegans, Fragrant Dream and Key West. A tree limb fell in the Paul's Glory pot. OBL got frosted, frozen and refrosted, then had dessication. Elegans was really mottled with melted wax and Key West fried in morning sun. Fragrant Dream was mangled before I got it.

I'm hoping they will be as nice as if I grew them myself. We'll see.

bk

OBL

• dg
    10 years ago

If I have to choose just one, I'll go with Niagara Falls. It was in a January order from Hallson, received in early April 2013.

I had it in a pot until late July when I planted it in a newly developed garden. I have high hopes for all the hosta planted in that new garden :-)

Deb

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    10 years ago

On Stage.

I took a 17 eyed division from a fully mature plant last summer that measured 22" high and about 30" wide when I shoved it in the ground. Curious to see what comes up this spring.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

From the hostas I purchased last year, this one is the one I am most looking forward to seeing. I didn't get to see its beautiful spring colours last spring because it was just about over when I received it.

• threedogsmom
    10 years ago

Bought a bunch of new ones last year (still small sized) but our soil makes things grow pretty well. Hoping they will do a little more than creep this year!

Hoping every one survived the brutal snow and cold this year!! C'mon spring!!

Amy

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Ivory Necklace

Planted 2013 and every time Myrle comes down she comments about this little gem. She couldn't wait to let mine grow large enough to divide so ordered it for this season. Hoping it is twice the size in spring if our snow ever melts

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

It tool me 2 day to come up with one answer. Summer Music is my choice. This hosta has color changes throughout the season and gives a great show.

Then On Stage and Sun Power with Emerald Rough Cut and Blaze of Glory.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

Sagae, I've had this one pictured since 2007. It has been eaten off at least twice. Last fall I moved it to a new location and also bought another one and have it in a container. Hopefully one of them will survive and mature.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Tick Tock was new for me last year, so it will be nice to see how it does.

Although not new, I divided a Guardian Angel in 2012 (this is how one looked last year) and it would be nice if it leaps this year.

tj

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I await 'Spring Fling' with great anticipation. Also 'Reptilian'. It had no mature characteristics at all last season, so any showing of it's eventual fantastic corrugation would be great.

Don B.

• luuk
    10 years ago

Wheaton Thunder, I'm curious to know if this year will show the white margins or stay with the solid green leaves ...grrr!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

For different reasons, I have several I'm excited about this year...to choose just one is impossible as I accumulated 30+ last year but I will keep it short, I promise.

Silver Star...received in 2012 as bthdy. gift - it had one eye....last spring it emerged with 4 eyes! Wonder what it will do this year?

Spilt Milk...new...can't wait to see how the pips look and how many leaves will have the white streak in them...when I brought it home it was more green than blue with barely any "spilt milk" so I am excited to observe the different stages of growth firsthand.

Lastly, the FW all-gold sport called Golden Sunburst. Hoping for multiple eyes...my first FW sport! It should be a beauty with its huge leaves... corrugated and that beautiful gold colour....very interested in this one.

10 years ago

Here is the culled gold sport....it had 3 eyes with loads of dormant buds...very excited to see how big it will be this year!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Planted in the fall of 2011, these four have made good progress. Lakeside Beach Captain and Singing In The Rain have already been transplanted as part of the front bed enlargement project completed last fall.

Bare roots spring 2012

By Spring of 13 Celestial had made amazing growth:

Lakeside Beach Captain looked happy in its new home:

I guess my 2014 hopes center on the transplanted hosta which hold prominent positions in the front bed. The entry to the hosta path features Touch of Class and June after fall move:

Viewed from my front door are transplants Touch of Class, June (next to Japanese Lantern), creeping azalea, and Singing In The Rain. Celestial is on right:

I'm just hoping that when this last foot of snow finally melts away..........a great new bed will flourish!

10 years ago

That's simply beautiful, Harryshoe! Celestial made me look a second time! That's what we all want...a vigorous growing hosta...amazing how the larger ones just set the tone in a bed.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

My greatest hope is that I will have no virus HVX in my garden this year! Last year I had to destroy 2 beautiful mature plants out of 350. Last year I saw little dark green bleeds on 3 plants, but two tests 3 months apart indicated no HVX. Just now I read in an older Hosta Journal that it can hide for up to 7 years and low concentrations of the virus do not show up in an Agdia test. There could be also other viruses.

So you all, change and clean tools (in bleach) inbetween different plants, you will never know what's going on! A clean looking plant might be sick in 1,2,3,... years. This trouble started after I bought a hosta at Walmart 5 years ago.
    Bernd

• irawon
    10 years ago

Bernd,
    Thanks for this information about low concentrations of the virus not showing up on the Agdia test.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Grow, Reptilian, grow!

Don B.

P.S. Well put, Bernd. I hope for the same thing.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida