Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

Due to lack of interest.....

hosta_freak
10 years ago

This years hosta season has been cancelled!! Another night of sub-freezing temps,and me running to cover up all my emerging hostas,some even unfurling leaves,with boxes,leaves and whatever! This is getting ridiculous! And even snow in the afternoon! Is winter ever going to end,and it isn't even winter? I am at my wits end,and it is supposed to be in the 20's tonight again. But then a week of above freezing temps at night,so maybe there is hope. Steve,in Mass.,I hope you are not buried again! Phil,in freezing NC.

Comments (37)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

I think this alleged Spring is worse for you, Phil, than it is for us. We have temps stuck in the mid 20s, but my Hostas have not dared to show pips because of that. By comparison, our average temps by April 1st are usually 50*.

As for the storm, it's going South of us. We are fine here in central Mass, but Cape Cod is having a blizzard with 60 mph winds and sideways snow. No fun to be on the Cape today.

The worst kind of Spring for Hostas is to have some warming of the soil so that they begin to grow, and then to have freezing temps and snow. You will still have a growing season, but much less of one than you would have had otherwise, as your plants will have to recover from this setback.

These are tough resilient plants. Hang in there.

Steve

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Here's a pic for you, Phil. I think this was taken in the NC hill country.

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

I'll be putting boxes over the only two that are higher than the mulch, Montana Aureomarginata and Blue Silver. But I brought my QOTS in and she is raring to go! New last fall and she's got 5 pips!
    Kathy

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey phil .. it was 12 degree here last night.. and its a balmy 26 now at 1045am ... yesterday about the same.. but for the 20 to 30 MPH winds ...

i am having a really... really.. REALLY !!!!! ... hard time feeling sorry for people who are actually able to walk around their garden and SEE SPRING ... lol

on the other hand.. i know from prior years.. how frustrated you get.. usually declaring in a week or two.. that you are giving up for the year... and that makes me sad.. sooooo

chin up old boy.. pip pip .. a crikey and a blimey.. [hey that pip one is so apropos.. lol]

just suck it up and put some perspective upon it all ... and think about how us up here in the great white north are feeling today ... i still have 50% snow cover ....

have you considered early morning alcohol to get your mind off all this??? .. i find a rip roaring blistering hangover.. to cure any days worries ... mostly because you feel like dying.. lol .. couple gallons of mimosas with your oatmeal ought to do it... lol ... go light on the OJ ... and skip the champagne.. and use vodka.. and use the 100 proof ... hell by lunch.. you wont even know where you are ... wait.. thats a screwdriver... lol.. but i digress .. apparently.. wildly ... is there a seven stage hosta program????

keep at it old boy ... its not like it doesnt happen every year ... at least you claimed not to be a poker and an uncoverer .... i cant wait until all those peeps start whining and moaning .... but did they listen.. ohhh noooo .. they had to uncover everything.. and count pips .. who knew.. spring could be cold.. i think i am digressing again.. gotta go ...

ken

ps: this was sarcasm ===>>>> i cant wait until all those peeps start whining and moaning ... ===>>>> do you think they will all appreciate me suggesting i told them so ...????

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Weirton Willie, the king of the groundhogs was found dead from an apparent self inflicted gunshot wound after predicting an early spring

Lying little Bast..d

• timhensley
    10 years ago

No signs of spring here in Vermont only more snow. Usually we have a break by now but not this year. This winter won't stop. Hang in there Phil.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Sorry people. I feel your pain, but I'll be planting tomatoes on April 1st as usual. Our night time temps are hovering around 50 degrees. Days in the high 60's-low 70's. Sunny California.

-Babka

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

I live in Florida for a reason: I do not do snow or cold. This snap (40deg low) is the last one. Yea!!! I got sunburn last weekend. Anyone needing a break come on down.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah,I know what ya'll are saying,but this winter has been exceptional,to say the least! I took the boxes off the ones that were covered that way,to let them get some sun today,and they don't look good. One more night,and maybe spring will finally be here. I do feel for you all up in the frozen tundra,but that's why I don't want to live there! Lol! Phil

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I feel bad for Phil, because it warmed enough to fool his hostas into thinking it was OK to come out of dormancy, and then BAM!! Low temperatures come back and mess with the emerging plants. If it hasn't warmed up at ALL for others, that sucks, too, but like Steve wrote, at least hopefully your hostas are still dormant and not being subjected to warm/freeze/warm/freeze.

Hang in there, Phil!!

Don B.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

My front and side yard is still all snow, I actually can stand on it = it's ice underneath. BUT starting Friday it will rain and from then on only in the high 40s. Though a few days ago the forecast was even a day at 58, but I take any warmth. I also remember that we had a snow storm once in May.

Oh yes, Weather Channel updated to a full week in the 50s, so spring will come next week!
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 8:58

• donrawson
    10 years ago

Turn the thermostat up, Phil. I'm coming down!

By the way, our low temp this morning was a whopping 8 degrees, with some of the outlying areas down to -2 degrees. Very wintery up here!

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

I am right there with you, Phil...literally. I've been covering and uncovering for days now. My poor little pips just won't stay down. They can read a calendar!!! It looks like one more night of below freezing for us, and then another warm up. I'm hoping this is the last freeze for us and the warm up will herald the real Springtime and not a fake teaser again.

NC - pipping all over the place! :)

• hostarhodo
    10 years ago

Sitting here on the couch watching the tide. It is finally going down, logs from wharves and clumps of seaweed bouncing their way down the harbour. Have already shovelled the back step 4 times, about time to do it again. Lots of snow and wind, suppose to blow all night.
    Now Phil you spend a lot of time covering and uncovering your hosta, plus all the worry, while we sit here knowing they are all snuggled under that thick, fluffy blanket of snow and when the time is right, Mother Nature will let us know. Plus all that moisture makes for great hosta. LOL
    But, do remember, worry changes nothing.

Snowed in on the South Shore of Nova Scotia

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Spring has sprung here in Northern Utah...much earlier than usual. I have pips popping up all over the place. The lawn is green and needs mowing. We have had a warmer than usual Feb and March and temps approaching 70 degrees. But this is UTAH and it could snow anyday. We did have a storm come through today but its not really that cold...49 degrees at the moment. The weatherman says it will be back up to 68 by the weekend and no freezing nights for the next week. I really hope spring is here to stay and I won't have to scramble to cover all my plants...but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Linda

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Well, fortunately we dodged the snow bullet yesterday, not even getting the 1/2" called for. Yay.

Meanwhile, the wind is howling outside. It's 26 mph, gusting to about 30 mph. Enough to creep in at any window or door crack. It's the revenge of Winter, howling at having missed its chance to dump more white stuff on us. I'm sure it will try again before Spring takes a firm grip on the tiller.

The only pipping I'm seeing is some of my heuchies growing brand-new baby leaves. I told it, "Nooooo! Don't grow baby leaves yet! They will be winter-blasted!!" But I don't think it was listening.

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Well, fortunately we dodged the snow bullet yesterday, not even getting the 1/2" called for. Yay.

Meanwhile, the wind is howling outside. It's 26 mph, gusting to about 30 mph. Enough to creep in at any window or door crack. It's the revenge of Winter, howling at having missed its chance to dump more white stuff on us. I'm sure it will try again before Spring takes a firm grip on the tiller.

The only pipping I'm seeing is some of my heuchies growing brand-new baby leaves. I told it, "Nooooo! Don't grow baby leaves yet! They will be winter-blasted!!" But I don't think it was listening.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

it is freeeeeking March and the season is shot?

Sheeesh!

when you get to the after life for such swearing and blasphemy ... you will look forward to the good ol' cold days ...

dave

• Gesila
    10 years ago

We've all been there Phil. It seems like I've had to protect Liberty and Sagae from frost every year.

Enjoy the spring!

Gesila

10 years ago

Oh, I really, really hope last night was the last frost! Look at the temps upcoming and you tell me we won't be seeing more pips shoving their little noses up! If we get another snap after this week's weather, we'll be scrambling again, Phil!

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK,things are looking up here,finally! A whole week of above freezing temps. You all up north have your hostas trained to stay dormant longer than here in the south! Down here we have had temps as high as 79 already,but then winter returned,and it got nasty. I will go out and uncover the ones under boxes,because we are supposed to get rain tomorrow,and that will help the hostas. Sorry to rant,but this has been the worst spring,since I have been growing hostas! Phil

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

For our friends in the Great White North, eh.

http://youtu.be/MAurQa9Ftv8

Check out this How Candians Celebrate Spring.

Steve

10 years ago

That's awesome, Steve. I'll add this one in for the zone 5ers here. Feeling for you guys.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

I went out and did a little gardening yesterday. It seemed warm with the temps finally over 40 and the wind down to 20 mph.

Mt beds were covered in dead hosta leaves. I never had a chance to clean them up last fall. I think we had 3 snow storms by Dec. 10th.

There was no sign of a pip anywhere. No sign of anything starting to grow. It looks like it should in January. Except without the three feet of snow piled on top!

I guess I should at least celebrate the fact that the snow will finally be gone from my yard by the end of the weekend. With the exception of the big black piles by the foot of the driveway.

But, why complain. I feel better knowing that Ken is way worse off than me.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I thought we had made it. The weather folks were calling for rain, but warmer temps and wonderful weather coming up this week. So here I am listening to and watching ice falling from the sky. This is just plain nuts. March 30th. Sheesh.

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

We are scheduled for 6" of SNOW tomorrow. April FOOLS is what we will be!!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

It must be spring...the raccoons are out!

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Spring in our area is finally showing signs of life. After raking fallen leaves off of some of my beds yesterday discovered loads of tulips popping through and a few of the hosta are ready to pop out too.
    The best of all was McTavish (Myrle) was in Kelowna at our favorite local hosta haunt on Saturday and took my want list with her and came back with 11 for me and 6 for her. Very nice looking plants with anywhere from 3 to 6 pips showing. I am so excited to finally have something to baby until the others come up. Tomorrow we are going again to hopefully get the rest on that list. We make want lists from each place we order from , It may be a long wait for our Hosta Choice order in Ontario as winter still seem to be there . Oh well it will be something to look forward to in June,

10 years ago

What are the names of the 11 you got? Inquiring minds want to know, lol...:-)

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This will be my final thought on this. Spring has returned,after another cold night. I think it is finally over! No more whining! Went to my local nursery today and got Ice Follies,a new one they just got in,but it is still dormant in the pot,but,with the weather finally turning,it won't be long til' it's up! See ya'll later! Phil,in sunny NC.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Great purchase, Phil! I got Ice Follies in 2012 and remember last year walking past it and thinking that it is turning into a mighty fine looking hosta. The wide white borders don't melt out, and it still looked good in Fall. I can see why it is a patented hosta.

-Babka

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Upon further examination,the hosta Ice Follies is showing an eye,so it won't be long! BTW,it was 80 degrees this afternoon,after 31 this morning. What a change! Phil

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Phil,
    Don't get hour hopes up. (In)Accuweather lowered their predicted lows for April 10-12 by 7 degrees today to 34f. The trend is not your friend.
    Ever the zone pusher,
    Kathy

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Josephines6
    I didn't want to bore everyone but since you asked
    American Halo
    Blue Flame
    Silver Shadow
    Cameo
    Cherry Flip
    Hippodrome
    Nightshift
    Blue Hawaii
    Powder Blue
    The others I hope to get if they look good are Rootin Tootin , Brutus, Sunshine Glory, Taurus ,Tokudoma Areobulosa, Clear Forks River, Winter Warrior, Grape Fizz Woodland Elf, Margie's Angel, Pie Ala Mode, Fragrant Dream, Pandora.s Box, Peanut . . It is so hard to choose, My reasoning is to get them all. I won't tell of all that I ordered from Hosta Choice but they had a " good come on" in Feb./March, so what is a girl to do? Easy for Jo to get and not have to be sent clear across Canada

This post was edited by almosthooked on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 11:05

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

BORE us, Faye? BORE us? This is the hosta group you're talking to here. : )

Thanks for posting what you got, Faye. I'm gonna go check 'em out now.

Cheers!
    Don B.

10 years ago

Faye, thank you for obliging me...don't you know that "lists of hostas" is the # 2 enabler??? #1 being pics! Don is soooo right.... and he'll probably zero in on something he "needs" ...... Like I will! You have so many I haven't heard of so I'm going back to surfing hosta! Thanks again :-)

Jo

P.S. You"ll love Cameo - mine gets these lovely multiple colours! My Blue Hawaii (aka Don's Blue) is one week old.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kathy,the last time I checked 34 is still above freezing! My hostas Have been able to withstand as low as 31 degrees as long as I have been growing them(11 years),and I have never lost a hosta due to freezing. I hope your hostas do well this year,as well as everyone else on the forum. Nuff'said! Phil

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022