Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostared

fyi...gardners diary is back on hgtv

hostared
17 years ago

I had posted this on the perennial forum yesterday.

After a long year and complaints HGTV has put the G back in gardening and has brought back Gardeners Diary at 7:00 am.

The reason I am posting today is that George Schmid a hosta guru will be featured on March 28....tomorrow.

All are past episodes but I don't get tired or watching.

I have recorded in the past 5 years Gardeners Diary and Gardeners Journal to enjoy in the winter. And now especially since HGTV has taken the real garden shows off.

So set your Tivo or have coffee with Erica Glasener in the morning.

Comments (19)

• Hosta_Haven
    17 years ago

Hostared,

THANK YOU so much for letting us know! I've been complaining to HGTV for a long time ever since they took the Gardeners Diary and the Gardeners Journal off. And for the first episode I watch to be about hostas! I'm so excited!!!

Thanks again!

Char

• mainma
    17 years ago

Thanks for posting this info; allset to record.

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I hope it's not the same one I recorded years ago of George Shmid,but I'll set the TIVO anyway! Phil

• hostared
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Phil it probably is the same one.
    But who cares it's about Hostas. But from what I remember it was a good show. We all have the new intro that he had at the time. But still always fun to rewatch.
    And also don't forget it's a REAL gardening show.
    I loved and recorded Gardeners Diary but I don't think they will ever have that one back. She still does a column and shows in Canada. I heard also that Erica did some taping last year for HGTV but they own the rights and they have not showed those yet.
    It's just fun to see some good gardening on TV.
    Enjoy all. It gets your heart a pumping!

• hosta_freak
    17 years ago

I think you are leading me the down the garden path,Red! I just tried to program my TIVO for that time tomorrow,and it said Knitty Gritty. I,for one don't want to record a show about knitting! Maybe it's different in your time zone,but nice try! Lol!! Phil

• hostared
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Phil not trying to lead you down the wrong garden path.
    Your zone is different than mine so it's probably on at 8pm
    please check. Here is the link. It's there because I've watched the past two days.

www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_grd

• mainma
    17 years ago

Hi again,

It is on at 8:00 a.m. Eastern Time and it is the 2003 episode with Schmid.

• greenguy
    17 years ago

thanks - yep on at 8 a.m. here, dvr set

i have been wanting to see that for a long time now

• chevy57red
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info!!
    The only time you can see any garden shows on Home and"WHAT"GardenTV anymore is weekend mornings and at that time I am at work.
    I bet that I am not the only one that is really tired of watching how to fix your rotted house to put it up for sale!!!
    Take me to the gardens!!

• jbgrdngy
    17 years ago

Gosh i thought i was all alone begging for Garden Diary and Garden Journal to be put back on hgtv. Thanks for all the support for this. Garden Diary is the best garden show of all time i think. Thanks again Raker

• newhostaaddict
    17 years ago

hi all...

well...i watched it...but it "Wasn't" ALL about Hostas...
    nice woodland gardens though...

i got the impression that George "Used" to be a "Hostaholic",,,but No More....

UNLESS....all his hostas are somewhere else...

jill

• jspece
    17 years ago

Jill, his climate is not well suited for growing most hostas. Too hot and dry and not a cold and long enough winters. He has said that he has good luck with the "long season" plants like longipes, etc.

I still consider him the hosta guru, but growing hostas that far south is a losing battle.

I think the title of that episode is something about "rethinking his hosta garden."

• Hosta_Haven
    17 years ago

I think they said something about giving most of his hosta collection to his kids and friends.

Char

• hostared
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Todays episode is not the one I remember with the hosta's.
    There are acouple of episodes that were devoted to hosta's.
    But all in all still always fun to watch.

There is an episode on April 13 of Trudi Temple's garden.
    A few years ago I was invited to Trudi's garden and it was magical. It has changed since the tapping and much more has been added. She now has a miniture conifer collection and guest house and has published a book. Anyone who has used Market Day will be surprised that she is the founder of that enterprise. Her episode is delightful just like she is. You can't help but to love her. And what she has done is with her own two hands. An incredible spirit.

• aahostas
    17 years ago

I watched this morning too. Thanks for the Heads up! I Also got the feeling that he had success with the "12 step Hosta Freedom Process". He really didn't offer an explanation as to why he had removed so many Hosta. He still had a few, but he said that his garden used to be 90% Hostas. How did He do it? It is like blasphemy or something...I am not sure how I should be feeling right now...LOL!
    Denny

• warhawk_grad
    17 years ago

Thanks for the head's up; that show was very enjoyable. Got a TiVO this year, and have several gardening shows "Season Ticketed". While I realize interest in gardening MAY slow down over the winter for many, that's precisely the time I need a fix!

• berel
    16 years ago

"Gardners Diary" will return to HGTV starting every Thursday in April. Below message sent to me after emailing several weeks ago to ask about this series.

Hello and thank you for your email.

First, please accept our sincerest apology for the lengthy delay in getting back to you with a response. We've been experiencing intermittent mail server issues of late which has caused a significant delay in getting back to our customers.

HGTV has always been dedicated to offering its audience the best in Gardening / Landscaping programing. Although a number of our programs in this category have been on hiatus, we're happy to inform you that Gardener's Diary will be returning to our programming line-up in April. The show will be airing on Thursday's at 7:00am ET/PT. Also, new episodes of Gardening By the Yard with our "Gardening Guy," Paul James are expected to air during 2008.

• tepelus
    16 years ago

I have been very disappointed in HGTV since all they have on anymore are home improvement and decorating poo. I have been thinking to myself for a long time, what happened to the garden in home and garden tv? It's good that they will finally bring a little of that back, but at 7am? Sigh~ I'm usually getting ready for work then and have no time to watch. I think the winter is the best time to have gardening shows on...helps us to cope with the winter blahs.

Karen

• crocosmia_mn
    16 years ago

I saw yesterday's episode! It was NEW and about a gardener who uses moss for her lawn and garden paths in her shade garden. (Sixteen year old son: "THIS is what you are so excited about?") I looked for an email address to let HGTV know, again, that we want this show on the air, but couldn't find one on their silly website.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022