Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moss good or bad

Posted by hosta-see 5b MI (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 9:27

Good morning,
Went out this morning for a walk around the yard and noticed that the moss is starting to get a good start across my hosta beds.
What do people think, good or bad thing, leave it or remove it?
Let me hear your opinions.
Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moss good or bad

Leave it! It won't hurt hostas. I have a woodland garden,and believe me,I have a lot of mosses growing on rocks and the ground. It only enhances the garden,rather than being harmful. Phil

o

Moss and mushrooms, seem similar - if conditions are right they will appear, if not they disappear. I don't worry about either in my garden if they show.

Paul

o

I agree moss looks beautiful in a hosta bed. It is also an indication that your Ph is right for hostas since they like a slighlty acidic soil.

Scott

o

Another, yup, it's pretty, you should leave it.

Karen

o

Welcome, Scott (Johnsp). We look forward to seeing some of your hostas this summer.

Steve

o

it should stay.. but you should learn what it means ...

as far as i understand.. it means that your soil tends toward acidic.. which is not bad from a hosta point of view..

but it also means that your soil might be lacking fertility ...

i suppose it might matter what kind of moss ... a proper ID ....

there is a better answer.. and i will see if i can figure it out ...

to repeat.. it can stay.. but you might get a soil test ....

ken

o

Make up my mind Ken. I have some moss growing in an exposed Maple root. lol Maple roots are good for something? Does this mean that Maple roots are acidic? lol
Pandora's Box 6-22-11

o

Yes that is true as I mentioned the soil is acidic to one degree or another. I always apply a bit of Espomo Holly Tone in early spring for fertilizer. I use organic fertilizers as the chemical fertilizers damage and kill various bacteria and other fauna which benefit the plants. These life forms are necessary in order to convert nutrients into a form which plants can use easily such as nitrogen.

o

hey frank .... a little overkill with the 3 foot marker with a 3 inch PB.. lol ...

thats different moss than i have .... thats the moss that becomes peat moss.. if you dont recognize it in green form rather than brown form ...

regardless its not going to be in the root zone to steal water.. so enjoy it ...

perhaps tomorrow i will have time to find my moss pix ...

ken

o
RE: Moss good or bad.

I had read that processed moss can start growing if you keep it wet. I use a lot of milled peat making up potting mix so that's probably how it got started since I always keep the ground very well watered, especialy the PB planted inside the tree root with the 3' tall marker.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here