Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Move or not to move? Inquiring half-mind wants your opinion!

Posted by naal 7a NoVA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 9:33

Next week, I'm having large stone stepppers installed in my yard (ya!). The area they will be working in is adjacent to a hosta bed. The landscape company will be using somewhat heavy duty equipment to move the steppers around and most likely will be on top of the hosta bed.

Due to the cold weather we've been having and the somewhat shady location, none of the hosta have started to come up.

The question is, will they get 'crushed' by the equipment even though they haven't come out of hiding? Should those hosta's potentially affected be dug up? The ground is somewhat soft from recent snow/rain.

Thoughts? Opinoins? Past experience?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Move or not to move? Inquiring half-mind wants your opinion!

I would not allow heavy equipment on my hostas. If they need that area for the equipment I would remove the hostas temporarily. Al

o

they probably can be driven on w/o killing them ...

but they will be heavily damaged.. and i dont recommend that..

yes.. move them

i did a post on moving fully leafed out hosta... and most of it would apply to dormant hosta ... study it ...

for a week or two.. dig them up.. like a ball and burlap wad of soil.. and put them on the north side of a structure.. out of all sun.. maybe even putting in grocery bags.. or garbage bags.. leaving the tops open for air..

and replant immediately after project is done ...

heck.. you guys ready??? .. you can probably even leave them on the driveway with the soil .... for the two weeks ....

really .... JUST DO IT.. ITS NO BIG DEAL .. but for heavy labor ... its not worth the risk to be lazy about it ....

ken

o

Good advice from Ken as usual, "Half-Mind". I'd follow it if I were you. Good luck with the steps and hosta bed. Post pics when it's all done!

o

Many thanks and it's certainly better to play it safe than be sorry later! There's only about 20, so it shouldn't be too bad.

When I moved to this house 6 years ago, I dug up about 50 hosta and put them in plastic grocery bags and they did GREAT! So will do again and would leave on the driveway, except it's facing South, so will put in a shady location until they can be replanted. ;-)

Pics most certainly will be provided!

o

When we had several large trees removed a few years back, they had to go over my hosta bed. They put down sheets of plywood to drive the heavy machinery over. It worked great. No damage at all. They said they do it all the time. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

o

a small bobcat may be different than a backhoe ....

but i agree.. the owner/operator ought to know ...

ken

o

I am a believer in spreading pressure. I don't want to discuss my floor pressure of my feet. ( blushing)
But I know if I stand on a piece of plywood I will not sink into the ground. Maybe multiple pieces of plywood will distribute the weight of equipment to where it won't damage your hostas. I don't know. Your landscaping company should and stand behind their decision. It depends on how many would have to be moved I would think. Moving hostas can be a lot of work, and have negative effects as Ken often tells us.
I am just saying.
Theresa

o

Ditto Theresa...

Don B.

o

When they removed our trees, they were using a bobcat. But they were back and forth all day long over my garden. And of course they were loaded with big chunks of tree, so I would guess they were pretty heavy.

Like Ken said, it would depend what kind of equipment they were using.

o

An added danger of leaving them on the driveway - over zealous garbage collectors might cart them away. Do be careful!!
Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here