Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostasmith

Some warm thoughts!

hostasmith
10 years ago

Just wanted to share some of my seedlings that I have going on this cold and long winter. I also brought in 7 hostas that I got late last year during the auction and I wanted to make sure they made it. Hopefully I will have some pips coming soon.

14-HW3-3 03.03.14

14-HW1-6 03.03.14

14-HW2-8 03.03.14

14-HW2-4 03.03.14

14-HW3-1 03.03.14

14-EB3-3 03.03.14

14-EB3-1 03.03.14

14-HW5-6 03.03.14

14-HW4-1 03.03.14

Comments (8)

• luuk
    10 years ago

Absolutely fantastic ! ...last year (for the first time) I sowed in the spring using the external light, the growth was slow but good, certainly the supplemental lighting used on cloudy days increase the growth, or am I wrong ?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

are those 6 oz solo cups.. brilliant!!!! ... there is some nut who recommends such.. lol ...

they have proper drainage... yes???/

your plants always look sopping wet ... i presume that is because.. while watering.. you get the hankering to snap pix ... they should NEARLY dry in between waterings ...

i would not have used osmacote in there.. nor a media that had such included in the bag ... otherwise the media looks great ...

i used to have 3 or 4 gallon milk jugs... bleached out .... with 1/4 strength water soluble fert with every watering ..... and used that standing.. room temp water... instead of adding fert ..

the problem with osmacote.. is that it has the potential to dump all its nutrients at one time .... burning young plants roots ...

the only regret about hosta college.. is that i wont get to meet you.. live your dream ...

watch out for vending.. its really hard to hold over hosta 'forced' for vending .... when you cant take them outdoors until late may in my z5 ... its not much of a bargain ... if they all die.. ahhh.. fond memories of my first college... lol...

ken

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Thanks, even in Texas, we can use some warm thoughts. (I may never get warm again.)

bk

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Thank you for the warm thoughts! Darling little streaker seedlings, Smith!! Hope they all grow big and healthy for you. It will be nice to follow their progress, and that of Bernd's seedlings.
    There's a few of you seedling growers out there. I am very interested in seeing how they grow for all of you.

So nice to see...then I turn around, look out the window....and see fine snow falling! Aargh

Take heart, Bkay, soon you'll forget the cold as you bask in the sunshine while welcoming your hosta back :-)

P.S. Smith, do you think that cute son of yours is getting a love for gardening yet?

This post was edited by josephines67 on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 14:55

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken-thanks for the compliment about not getting to meet me, that means a lot to me. My wife and I have been discussing making the move to either Michigan or Colorado for our son, so maybe some day in the future we will be neighbors. :) I also would like to plan a trip to Hallson's and Schmid Nursery this summer with my Grandfather. They are both in your neck of the woods, if I am correct? Maybe we could meet then, I would enjoy that. I am so looking forward to the Hosta College. Being able to spend a couple of days with Grandpa Elwood and personally meeting other Hosta Fanatics and discussing my new role at the AHS with a few of the board members.

Josephine-Our son and daughter love to be outside digging in the dirt with me. Logan can fill a wheelbarrow better than any little kid I know and Lucy has Hosta seedlings growing in her window that are hers and she knows the names of most of my house plants.

10 years ago

Now that's impressive! Good work, Dad! Two budding gardeners!

I've always believed that if children are taught at a very young age to care for plants, watch them grow and nurture them, that later on in life, they usually make great parents...having been conditioned to "take care" of something whether it be a plant or an animal. Growing things is such a 'happy' hobby. I don't know how old Lucy is but I admire the fact that she is tending to her own seedlings. You must be so proud of both of them! :-)

You mentioned your grandfather....Did you get your love for gardening from your Grandpa Elwood by any chance?

Love the kids' names, btw.

• hostasmith
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are the best kids! Especially with what they have both been through due to Logan's disease, Dravet Syndrome.

Lucy is 4 and Logan 2 1/2. The kids actual names are Harper Lucille and Devon Logan. Lucille is from my Grandmother and Logan got his name as we were leaving the hospital, because we couldn't decide on a name.

Grandpa Elwood is a great man. I have learned a lot from him. At 87, he never complains about much and is just happy to wake up every morning! He has a greenhouse full of Orchids and works in it every day. He also collects Japanese Maples, Spruce and Firs. He used to be big into Ball jars and other antique colored glass.

10 years ago

That is so heartwarming and I appreciate you sharing. You are faced with enormous challenges concerning Logan's disease but are blessed with a lovely family to sustain you.

I hope your grandfather continues to enjoy his hobbies for many more years to come! Do enjoy your planned outing with him.

Best wishes,
    Jo