Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roblksd

Some seedling photos. Hope you like them

roblksd
12 years ago

These are all seedlings. Pictures were taken last year. I will be moving at least half of them this spring so they have some room to grow. When I move them I divide out any stable divisions, label, make some notes and let them

mature.

Comments (13)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    12 years ago

Nice specimens roblksd. How old are the seedlings?

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

Very nice. I really like the 4th one. Myrle

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Very nice, Rob. I especially like the first one. How old are these? Any that you have registered or will register?

Here's a tiny seedling currently in my basement under lights. It's Lakeside Breeder #4 x OP. Hope you like it.

Overhead
    {{gwi:944447}}

{{gwi:944449}}

Steve

• User
    12 years ago

McTavish, I like the 4th one too. That is a fluted leaf, and so very regular.

• roblksd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

All but the second one (the cupped one, it is a one year old in the picture. Lakeside Fresh Prince x Steve Moldovan ) are all 3-5 years old. The 4th one is very pretty. It was kind of buried under some giants. The 3rd one is my favorite. It is very large and my photography does not do it justice. My well water has a lot of iron in it and leaves a lot of stains on the leaves. None are registered but am planning on doing so in the future. I have been trying to be patient and let them mature. Noting flower colors, scape height, leaf size, growth rate and fertility. I am naming the 3rd one Lakeside Anything's Possible in memory of Roy Chastain. It was something Roy had said in a conversation while my son and I were there in 2009. Roy recently passed at the age of 90. Roy was a classic gentleman and will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

• tepelus
    12 years ago

They're all very nice, but that third one is my favorite. I'd be staring at it all the time and petting it and telling it nice things if it were in my garden. lol!

Karen

• hostaLes
    12 years ago

hostaLes is pretty stupid! I have been growing my jewels for more than 15 years and have never recognized a seedling until last year - probably hoed hundreds. (lol)
    Rob - those are very nice seedlings in my opinion, thoughmy opinion obviously doesn't bear much weight. I too like the 3rd one. Nice work.

Les

• User
    12 years ago

I still like #4 the best of all. It appears to have a white back to the leaf, (whatever you call that with hosta--glaucous?) and the fluting of the leaf does look like a big seashell.

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

Great looking hosta. Nice work.

bkay

• roblksd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Steve, make sure you keep us updated on your seedling. It will change a lot over the next few months. Maybe you could do a time sequence post. Rob

• Cher
    12 years ago

Very nice. My favorite is also that 3rd one, but I like them all.
    Cher

• gardenfanatic2003
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Deanna

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Rob,and others,I always like to see pics of seedlings. Here is a pic of a couple of my seedlings. These are OP seedlings of Cinnamon Sticks hostas. They look nothing like my Cinnamon Sticks plant,which I still have. I originally just planted the seeds in a pot outside,and they just kept growing. They are about 5 years old,and I have named them Cinnamon Blue,because they are actually bluer than the pic shows. Phil,in NC.

{{gwi:937446}}

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional