Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovehostas

I'm new, Hello and should I join the AHS?

lovehostas
11 years ago

Hello Everybody

I'm pretty new to hostas and I went to my first big meeting a little while ago. It was called Winter Scientific and there were a lot of great speakers there. I learned so much in one day I thought my head couldn't hold it all. It's amazing how much there is to learn about hostas. A new friend I met there told me I should join a forum and recomended this one, so I finally did.

I'm thinking about joining the AHS too, but not everything I've heard about them is good. What do you all think? Is it worth joining up? I don't like a lot of politics. At the scientific meeting one of the big people there was talking and I overherd that the AHS president quit last fall. He was saying that a lot of people don't like him and it seemed like there was a lot of argueing going on there. Does anybody know who the new president is?

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

just join .. its worth it ....

BTW.. WELCOME ... i/we am/are willing to teach you anything you want to know ...so understand... what follows is about club politics .... and not about getting you fully enabled .... with the friendship plant ....

now.. forgive me.. but you just slandered a bunch of my friends.. unattributed ...

so if i get this straight.. you would rather rely on the opinions of unknown peeps who apparently like to complain.. rather than actually do stuff ????..

when i hear that kind of stuff.. i usually look them right in the eye.. and say something along the lines: IF YOU CAN DO IT BETTER I WILL BE GLAD TO NOMINATE YOU TO **** DONATE **** COUNTLESS HOURS OF YOUR TIME ... only to be rewarded by being crucified for whatever complaint rolls around ... and that usually shuts them right up.. because.. the only thing they are good at.. is complaining ....

i have been a member for about 20 years.. best money you can ever spend ... JUST DO IT ...

but lets be clear.. if you want to gossip about garden club politics.. [hmmmm i wonder if there is a forum for that ...] ... then go for it [preferably somewhere else] .... but i am not going to enable you ... in that regard ....

never!!!! ..... COMPLAIN .... ABOUT PEOPLE WHO VOLUNTEER THEIR TIME ... unless you are fully willing to take the mantel.. and do a better job ...

now.. sorry about that ...

good luck

ken

ps: back in the day.. at the advent of computer forums.. and round robin emails .. etc ... long before GW.. it was all the rage.. to sign up for such.. simply to slander other peeps .. it was said.. if you really liked arguing.. join a church or garden club .... you brought up ..... apparently ... a whole bunch of bad memories .... and i am sorry for having vented on you ... [is that you clyde???]

pps: doug's been pres for a number of years [google fails to claim anyone else is the Pres] ... i was not aware he has a successor???? .. which makes me wonder who gave you what info.. and why .... my is my radar flashing here on motive ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Welcome to the wonderful world of hostas! I'm also a member of AHS even though I'm way the heck out in California. There are no local hosta societies here, so I gather all my info from the internet. You don't need to get into the politics if you don't wish to. For just $30 you get those fabulously beautiful, and informative hosta journals. Worth every penny.

Where are you? State? Zone? Do you presently have any hostas in your yard? Which one captivated your heart to the extent that you would jump right into a Winter Scientific seminar?

-Babka

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Yes, join the AHS and I would encourage you to join a local society as well.

Welcome

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Local Hosta Societies Map

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Pay no attention to the politics. I don't and didn't know of any of the scuttlebutt you heard at the WS. The AHS is great because it supports important research, runs great events, and has gorgeous journals that educate and take your breath away with Hosta pictures. Plus you get a $15 coupon off a Hosta purchase at great nurseries. Pretty good return for $30. To quote Bob Solberg, "Hostas should be fun." Pay no attention to the non-fun stuff.

Steve