Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Top Dress Question

Posted by plittle2 z5a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 10:34

>Have one of my hosta gardens ( 5 years 10x100 ), along a driveway. Same garden has mature Norway spruce as a backdrop.

>Problem--shallow dense fibrous roots from the spuce I am sure are impacting the hosta growth.

>Possible solutions.
1. Remove hosta--top dress 3-4 inches--replant.
2. Top dress 3-4 inches early spring over hosta.

>If I leave in place what is maximum top dress depth?

>I realize either is not a permanent solution.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Top Dress Question

all the top dressing is going to do ... is feed the trees roots... making it even more aggressive than it already is ...

3 inches sounds a bit deep on top dressing ... plus you dont tell us what kind you are thinking about ... there are a lot of hosta that will not handle being buried 3 inches too deep ... but again.. it might matter what you bury them with

ken

o

I would dig up the favorites, put compost and bone meal
in a wider,deeper hole and replant a division (maybe half) if the hosta is big.
Where there were really dense roots,under a maple,I buried a very large pot, screen on the bottom, filled with good earth & compost, then planted my hosta...that woked really well, trouble is, it's not easy to dig a large enough hole...this is when strong husbands come in handy!
Heather

o

Within a year the Maple feeder roots will go through the screen. They go down to about 16". If they can lift thousands of pounds of concrete sidewalks and driveways, a screen is no big deal. Only treated spin out fabric will deter the Maple or any other kind of tree roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here